Zephyr time change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKA

OBS Chief
Got a call from Amtrak this morning. Time change for Dep. CHI now 2:00 pm on # 5. Ari in EMY 7:50 pm SFW 8:35 pm in a perfect world. #6 Dep SFW at 6:05 am Lev EMY at 7:10 am Ari CHI 4:25. These times are for 12 May and 18 May 07. Reason, track work. Nothing about detour.

What is the date of your triip ? I will be riding this train in July. This is interesting because the connections from the east coast are tight because the Capitol and the Lake Shore Limited keept getting tied up.

I have a trip reserved on the California Zephyr in November, so I initiated another online reservation with the same dates (week of Thanksgiving) to see what times showed up. It showed the earlier 7:15am departure from EMY as well as the 7:50pm return. We're heading to Grand Junction, CO. Eastbound arrival there will be about 45 minutes later than in the published schedule (11:31am vs. 10:43am). Westbound departure remains at 4:10pm.

Essentially they are adding about 3 hours between EMY and GJT in both directions. Perhaps this reflects the delays typically encountered between Reno and Salt Lake City?

Clark

I have a trip reserved on the California Zephyr in November, so I initiated another online reservation with the same dates (week of Thanksgiving) to see what times showed up. It showed the earlier 7:15am departure from EMY as well as the 7:50pm return. We're heading to Grand Junction, CO. Eastbound arrival there will be about 45 minutes later than in the published schedule (11:31am vs. 10:43am). Westbound departure remains at 4:10pm.
Clark, you are correct. I just checked the dates for the OTOL fest that Steve was questioning about, and indeed Amtrak has changed the times for those days too. I have to wonder if this will be permenant.

Essentially they are adding about 3 hours between EMY and GJT in both directions. Perhaps this reflects the delays typically encountered between Reno and Salt Lake City?
Even if it does reflect the delays typically encountered by Amtrak in that stretch, it still won't matter, Amtrak will still end up being late. When Amtrak added 10 and 1/2 hours of padding to the Sunset over the course of 5 years, UP took advantage of every extra minute and then still made Amtrak late. :angry:

My wife and I are scheduled to depart EMY on #6 May 14, I checked that date on Amtrak.com,it noted the earlier departure time,but we have not received a phone call from Amtrak yet.

We are on the CZ July 4th leaving from San Fransisco. Our departure time from there is now 6:25 am instead of 8:20.

Looking at my reservation online, it still shows the old times.

I wouldn't expect your online reservation to show the change, as I don't believe that the system can reflect the change. However, if you go back to the site and pretend to book another reservation, you should see the new times come up for your dates.

What is the date of your triip ? I will be riding this train in July. This is interesting because the connections from the east coast are tight because the Capitol and the Lake Shore Limited keept getting tied up.
Note that he said:

These times are for 12 May and 18 May 07.

Oops, that is why I teach special education students. It takes one to know one. LOL. :D

I just played around on Amtrak's website and found out that about 20 minutes is shaved off the schedule between Denver and Salt Lake City. The extra time is added between Salt Lake and Reno. An hour is added by the tiime the train reaches Winnemucca, and another 2 hours is added by Reno.

I wouldn't expect your online reservation to show the change, as I don't believe that the system can reflect the change. However, if you go back to the site and pretend to book another reservation, you should see the new times come up for your dates.
Eventually it will, I believe.

When I booked a trip on the Capitol Limited and Lake Shore Limited last September, they hadn't yet entered in the revised schedules on those trains that took effect in late October. Once they did, it took a few days (including a brief period where my online reservation appeared to be double-booked), but eventually the website showed the new times on my reservation.

Git this today by Email from Amtrak:

There has been a schedule change affecting your Amtrak itinerary.

Please note Train # 6 departs earlier. The following is a copy of

your itinerary. We apologize for any inconvenience this may

cause you.

TRAIN: 14 DATE TIME TYPE/ROOM#/CAR#

LV LOS ANGELES 15MAY 1015A 1YD

AR EMERYVILLE 15MAY 1002P

TRAIN: 6

LV EMERYVILLE 17MAY 710A FS 015 0631

AR CHICAGO 19MAY 425P

TRAIN: 30

LV CHICAGO 20MAY 705P DA A 3000

AR WASHINGTON 21MAY 130P

Thank you,

Amtrak Recommodation Desk

No problem for me - only have to get out of bed a little earlier in Emeryville :( (staying a the Four Point Sheraton just across the station)

Does anyone know if they'll be serving dinner on #5 now going into EMY?

They never used to because it was scheduled to arrive around 4:30PM... now it's after 7PM.

So that would make me wonder if a Day 3 dinner would be added?

I'm on #5 leaving Chicago in late May.

I would think not, since the crews typically need to start cleaning up and packing up things 2 hours before arrival into the last station. So that would not permit them to serve dinner into EMY and still clean up in time.

Now if the train is running late by at least an hour, then I could see perhaps them trying to serve a limited quickie dinner. Late by 2 or more hours, and you might get a full diner. But that would also depend on just what's left as I'm not sure that Amtrak will automatically load on extra meals just in case the train runs late.

Any word on when this new schedule will take effect? There isn't a new timetable posted on the Amtrak website yet, and I don't feel like testing the reservations system to find the first date when the new times appear.

Not an urgent request, just curious if anyone has actually seen something mentioning a start date.

Any word on when this new schedule will take effect? There isn't a new timetable posted on the Amtrak website yet, and I don't feel like testing the reservations system to find the first date when the new times appear.
This change goes into effect as of the May 7th departures.

Does anyone know which days of the week (timetable says 4/7) the trains will be detoured through Wyoming? In the past, I believe it's been Monday-Thursday... not sure if that's the case this year?

In late May, I'm leaving CHI on a Friday and arriving in EMY on a Sunday. In a way it (from my railfan's perspective) it would be kinda cool to see WY on Amtrak, but then again, I still think I perfer seeing the Rockies and getting a chance to stop at the fruit stand at Grand Junction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back