Zephyr 5 reroute

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbleweed

OBS Chief
We're just leaving Chicago on 5.....sounds like there was a freight derailment around Princeton, IL, so we will be rerouted and get back on line at Galesburg....no estimate yet on total delay, but I imagine it will be several hours....Oh well.....glad it was not the Zephyr that derailed.... :giggle:

I look to it as more train time and a rare mileage trip!
cool.gif

Well if they route you through Joliet then you will be taking the traditional santa fe route. Bnsf operates bothe the line though Princeton and the line out if Joliet. If this is the case you might only lose a couple of hours.

Please keep us posted. Im traveling vicariously on this one. Lol

Well if they route you through Joliet then you will be taking the traditional santa fe route. Bnsf operates bothe the line though Princeton and the line out if Joliet. If this is the case you might only lose a couple of hours.

Please keep us posted. Im traveling vicariously on this one. Lol
Thanks for that info! No announcements yet on the route......right now my GPS shows we are on the Illinois Central trackage....looks like it might merge with the old Santa Fe....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok you are going on the old Santa Fe route. You will go through streator and chillicofee(sp?) on the way to Galesburg. At chilicofee you will cross the Illinois river a scenic highlight. When you get to Galesburg you will most likely stop at the old santa fe station. This is not the normal Amtrak stop. That is a few blocks away. After Galesburg you will rejoin the regular route. I think you should be on Galesburg about 2 hrs 30 minutes after leaving joliet. Enjoy. Wish I was there.

Rare mileage may become less rare if the STB gets it's way. They are proposing a rule that would require the freights to provide a re-route for Amtrak trains in emergency situations. And yes, derailments and trackwork fall under that. There would be a special master appointed by the STB that would coordinate all train reroutes so to make it easier for Amtrak to detour on another companies route.

Ok you are going on the old Santa Fe route. You will go through streator and chillicofee(sp?) on the way to Galesburg. At chilicofee you will cross the Illinois river a scenic highlight. When you get to Galesburg you will most likely stop at the old santa fe station. This is not the normal Amtrak stop. That is a few blocks away. After Galesburg you will rejoin the regular route. I think you should be on Galesburg about 2 hrs 30 minutes after leaving joliet. Enjoy. Wish I was there.
Thanks, I will watch for Chilicofee and the Illinois river..... :)

Rare mileage may become less rare if the STB gets it's way. They are proposing a rule that would require the freights to provide a re-route for Amtrak trains in emergency situations. And yes, derailments and trackwork fall under that. There would be a special master appointed by the STB that would coordinate all train reroutes so to make it easier for Amtrak to detour on another companies route.
That sounds like a plan....

I haven't heard of this proposed rule, but it sounds like a useless waste of time. What you say they are proposing is already in place. That's why this thread was posted. Freights already provide a reroute for Amtrak when practical if the regular route is blocked.

Thanks, I will watch for Chilicofee and the Illinois river..... :)
By the way, it's "Chillicothe" (which is near Peoria).

How far are going? Keep us posted.
We will be detraining at OMA....sounds like the derailment was at Mendota (sp?).....14 cars of coal right in front of the station, according to a announcement....and we are still waiting for a pilot crew....

Hope you have a sleeper. You should be about 2 hours late at the worst.
We are already 2.5 hours late....we are in a sleeper....matter of fact, a while ago the top bunk came crashing down on its rests....scared the crap out of the wife and I.....hope this isn't a jinxed trip...... :blink:

I only put up the STB deal because it was semi-related. Your right, this thread does illustrate that it already happens without STB interference.

If rerouted onto the former Santa Fe, how would they get onto it from CUS? They lifted the rails between Corwith and 21st St, which was the reason why the SWC was rerouted onto the former Burlington in the first place, since that stretch was only used by Amtrak. Go out the former GM&O and get onto Santa Fe somewhere before Joliet?

I only put up the STB deal because it was semi-related. Your right, this thread does illustrate that it already happens without STB interference.
It's not working too good....we're still waiting for a pilot crew.....over 3.5 hours late now and we're still sitting by Joliet.... :rolleyes:

It's not working too good....we're still waiting for a pilot crew.....over 3.5 hours late now and we're still sitting by Joliet.... :rolleyes:
Well, I think that answers at least part of my question. Amtrak would have crews qualified on the old GM&O (Lincoln Service, Texas Eagle, etc), but not on the former Santa Fe. So you have to get a qualified pilot crew before switching over.

If rerouted onto the former Santa Fe, how would they get onto it from CUS? They lifted the rails between Corwith and 21st St, which was the reason why the SWC was rerouted onto the former Burlington in the first place, since that stretch was only used by Amtrak. Go out the former GM&O and get onto Santa Fe somewhere before Joliet?
Darned if I know.....but we're still sitting in the same spot waiting for a pilot crew.....the original crew is gonna run out of time if this keeps up.... :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back