Yuma, AZ hotels & Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Railroad Bill

Buckeye Train Watcher
AU Supporting Member
Will be traveling on Texas Eagle to Yuma, AZ from LA in January. Renting a car--heading to Quartzsite and then on to Kingman to catch the Chief back to Chicago. Any recommendations on where to stay in Yuma? Close to Amtrak station? or rental cars at the airport? Thanks for your help.

Will be traveling on Texas Eagle to Yuma, AZ from LA in January. Renting a car--heading to Quartzsite and then on to Kingman to catch the Chief back to Chicago. Any recommendations on where to stay in Yuma? Close to Amtrak station? or rental cars at the airport? Thanks for your help.
Try this LINK.

I did that trip in January 2007... from Chicago to Yuma on 21/421. It was a great trip, but beware of the station in Yuma. It's safe, but there is actually NO station there. The 'station' is actually a UP freight office which Amtrak passengers are not allowed in. Also, when we arrived... there were no cabs waiting. Yuma was a lot smaller than we thought. Luckily, someone else was getting off in Yuma and had the number of their Yellow Cab service and we were able to call a cab to come and get us. We took it to the airport and rented a car from Hertz with no problem at all... very quick in-and-out of the car rental place at the airport.

Just make sure you carry a cab company's number and a cell phone with you and you'll be prepared.

Oh, forgot to mention... I have some pictures from that CHI-YUM trip on my website.

www.rtabern.com

(then click on the Trails and Rails link)

And 1 other piece of advice, if 21 gets into San Antonio somewhat on-time (10:30-11:30pm-ish) and you feel like it... catch a cab over to the Riverwalk and Alamo and maybe even the Hard Rock Cafe. All 3 are with-in walking distance. Midas well see a little bit of Texas since your train sits there in SAS all night.

You can re-board your sleeper or coach almost anytime overnight too (except for about an hour when they're switching it and have to close the doors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back