Your Dream Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AlanB said:
gswager said:
I have question.  Is the platform for Viewliner is higher than Superliner?
GS,

Actually one of the charms of a Viewliner is the fact that it can handle either a high level platform, like the commuter RR's here in NY use, or a low level platform like the Superliner's require. My guess is that a typical low level platform is about 6 inches high, whereas a high level is probably about 3 feet off the ground.

While a retrofit of existing Superliner's would be too expensive, it would be possible to engineer new Superliner's to handle both types of platforms. We currently have double deck commuter cars here in NY that use high level platforms. Adding the ability to use a low level platform to that design wouldn't be too hard.
Actually Alan down south here, most patforms are at track level. There are a few exceptions to this rule though. ones I know of include, Delray Beach, West Palm from siding, Orlando Track 1, Winter Park Track 2, and Sanford in the siding. Otherwise all platforms are at ground level. The real way to be able to tell is, when the Conductor drops the steps, if they use a stepbox the platform is at ground level, if no step box is used then the platform is raised.

Another annoyance is when we have passengers that bring on a 90 lb from the north, we make them carry it down, as it should have been checked up north. People usually say "Well the platform was high in New York." Our response is usually something to the effect of "Well this isn't New York." Usually on a daily basis one person shows up with 10 bags they want to carry on, we will generally turn them away and say "Next train is tomorrow (or in a few hours if on 98/91).

I know, but the NYP-Baltimore Stations have High level platforms, not to mention most of the NEC thanks to Acela, so Superliners would be an issue for Silver Service, the Crescent, The Lake Shore Limited, Three Rivers, Twilight Shoreliner, Corridor Trains.

What does the High Level Platform have to do with a 90 lb. not being loaded in New York?

He means that it's far easier for a passenger to roll a 90lb suitcase onto the train from a high level plat, as opposed to having to carry it down the steps in the trap. If a passenger knew that they would have to carry it up and down the steps, they might be more inclined to check the bag as opposed to carrying it on board. Mind you now though, the limit for baggage is supposed to be 50lb, so maybe Amtrak needs to do a better job of reminding passengers and enforcing that policy.

Of course one also has to consider the fact that Amtrak has unfortunately eliminated many of the places where one can check baggage.

Ps. There really is no standard height for a low level platform. I just used 6 inches as a number for the purpose of answering GSWager's question.

Low Level is usually about the level of the top of the rail. The one thing about high level platforms is the gap between the track and the platform.

"Well this isn't New York"
May I warn you that this isn't the kind of thing you want to say directly to a passenger. Little comments like that do turn people away, like my parents who are not that willing to travel by train. Even though you don't work for Amtrak, be careful to what you say to other passengers because you too make an impression. B)

Alan,

I heard the M-7's have a full front cab...that would take away my favorite place to stand on the train.

Our response is usually something to the effect of "Well this isn't New York."
Sounds like someone went to flight attendant school...

tp49 said:
Alan,
I heard the M-7's have a full front cab...that would take away my favorite place to stand on the train.
TP,

I haven't heard that one, but I'm not surprised. The same is true for all the new subway cars. If I get a chance to ride one soon, I'll let you know.

That's my favorite place too. :D

AlanB said:
On the other hand the extra seating room that a Superliner diner provides, since the kitchen is downstairs, is something that any single level diner will never equal.  Of course I suppose that if enough single level diners were available so that you could put two per train then that might work.  Mind you though that would require doubling the dining crew, which is a considerable expense.
hello

A twin unit viewliner diner could be build for larger trains like the old Pennsy twin unit diners.

Or the diner could be for first class only and the snack car upgraded with a kitchen for meal service for the coach passengers. This would keep only 2 foodservice cars per train and not 3 by adding a second dining car.

maybe,

john

chefrhodes81 said:
A twin unit viewliner diner could be build for larger trains like the old Pennsy twin unit diners.
The Talgos do something like this where one of the cars is just booth seating. On the Seattle-Vancouver, BC, run, this area is used for dinner service, otherwise it's just open seating for the Bistro car. Personally, I think this would be the best way to handle dining car service on the western trains.

chefrhodes81 said:
Or the diner could be for first class only and the snack car upgraded with a kitchen for meal service for the coach passengers.   This would keep only 2 foodservice cars per train and not 3 by adding a second dining car.
As a regular coach passenger, I hope they don't do this. I enjoy eating in the dining car even though I normally can't afford the prices for a sleeper. Short of adding dedicated cooks for the snack car, I don't see the quality in the snack cars improving over heat-and-eat foods.

I think the seating car is a good idea, and perhaps during the day could double up as a FC Lounge. Maybe the Car with the Kitchen and the 48 Seats could be where coach passengers are restricted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back