Your #1 wish

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
What would be your #1 thing to see or be present for in the USA.

I'm thinking of breaking up my next trip by staying over in a couple of locations.

(keeping in mind I can't walk far)

Any suggestions? EX. 4th of July on the CS for the Fireworks.

Mardigras in NO.

Gaspirilla in Tampa

New Years Eve in ?

One thing would be the California State Railroad Museum in SAC. But since that is (almost) next to the SAC station, you could easily do it on a layover between the CZ westbound and CS northbound!

One thing would be the California State Railroad Museum in SAC. But since that is (almost) next to the SAC station, you could easily do it on a layover between the CZ westbound and CS northbound!
I was sitting in the SAC station (6:15am - 12;30pm) in Sept & didn't realize it was next to a museum!

I guess that's a reason for this thread(question)!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

I've always wanted to see the California State Railroad Museum. And I get that chance next month, as I'll be taking the CZ from Chicago to Sacramento, staying over two nights, before flying back to Spokane. That will give me a day and a half there. Plenty of time!

For those interested:

Arriving Aboard Amtrak
Sacramento's Amtrak train station is located immediately adjacent to Old Sacramento and the California State Railroad Museum. Actual walking distance between the Sacramento train station and Old Sacramento is the equivalent of about two city blocks.

However, please be advised that the easiest route does not involve any major city streets. Instead, as you exit from your train or bus, look for the large, green Interstate Highway bridge overhead (to the west of the train station). Walk towards the bridge, and look for the "Old Sacramento" banners.

A striped walkway leads directly from the Amtrak passenger platforms, west under the highway bridge, through a parking lot, to Old Sacramento and the California State Railroad Museum.

Oh, geez. That's a HUGE question! This country is so huge and so varied that it's virtually impossible to name only a few sights worth seeing!

As far as cities go, my top list would be NYC, DC, BOS, CHI, SFO, and LAX, but there are worthwhile things to see in countless cities across the country, from PDX and SEA to LMY (oh, all right, Santa Fe--just trying to keep the 3-letter code thing going!) to STL to CVS to SAV.

And of course, there are a number of things in this country worth seeing that are more than just a single town: no one should die without having driven through the great Southwest, especially southern UT's incredible national parks. A drive up to Alaska (especially through Banff and Jasper NPs in Canada) is a must-do, too.

But that's a bit hard to do on Amtrak. So, to fit your criteria, what one destination would I pick? I'd probably do either WAS or NYC (especially New Year's Eve in NYC--now THAT would be fun!). You should be able to do WAS as a stopover on a trip from FL to wherever, since that's the primary point the CL and Cardinal connect to the Silver Service. You could do NYC as a stopover on a trip involving the LSL. BOS won't work as a stopover (unless you're heading to Maine!), but it's definitely worth a visit.

But once you get beyond those cities, how do you pick, say, the Mormon Temple Square over, say, the Gateway Arch, the Golden Gate Bridge, or the Sears Tower (though access to Giordano's pizza makes that one particularly compelling!)?

Other places, like L.A., are worthwhile not for a single landmark (who would travel all the way across the country just to see the Hollywood sign?) but more for the sum of everything available in the area--the good weather, the beaches, the sights and museums, and the glamorous lifestyle).

So it's hard to pinpoint just a single thing down. I'd stick with WAS and/or NYC for now and then decide to tackle the country region by region...when you're more specific about a region, we might be able to help you gather a list of the must-sees a bit easier! :)

Travel tip:

Check into incorporating Grayline bus tours into your plans. That can be a neat way not only of seeing a specific city, but also venturing out to nearby cities and sites where the train does not go.

Sometimes, horror of horrors, you might sneak in a litle Greyhound ride for a short distance, like Miami to Key West.

If I had to name a top U.S. sight, I guess the Grand Canyon followed by the Rocky Mountains.

What would be your #1 thing to see or be present for in the USA.I'm thinking of breaking up my next trip by staying over in a couple of locations.

Mardigras in NO.

Gaspirilla in Tampa

New Years Eve in ?
Not that Amtrak serves Louisville, KY (which it doesn't)....

In April 2007, I attended the "Thunder over Louisville" event that is held event held each year two weeks before the Kentucky Derby. This is a very good Air show (mostly military stuff) and the biggest fireworks show in North America (by far I believe). How about 8 barges lined up single file on the river, full of fireworks, all going off simultaneously. Add to that the second street bridge, complete with Army Howitzers (sp?). It was and is an incredible spectacle. They typically get 800,000 - 1,000,000 spectators.

They were shooting of the Howitzers on the bridge maybe 750' from me, and I couldn't hear them because of the mass wall of sound from the fireworks. At the end, there were so many Roman Candles going off, it became one sound, not individual blasts. Quite impresssive.

I was sitting next to a fireworks professional from Florida and after the finaly, asked him what he thought. He just shook his head and said, "Amazing... The finaly probably cost $250,000 alone".

But once you get beyond those cities, how do you pick, say, the Mormon Temple Square over, say, the Gateway Arch, the Golden Gate Bridge, or the Sears Tower (though access to Giordano's pizza makes that one particularly compelling!)?
I did BOTH of those easily on my layover in October between the CL and EB. They are both within 2 or 3 blocks of CUS (in relatively the same direction)! ;)

In April 2007, I attended the "Thunder over Louisville" event that is held event held each year two weeks before the Kentucky Derby. This is a very good Air show (mostly military stuff) and the biggest fireworks show in North America (by far I believe). How about 8 barges lined up single file on the river, full of fireworks, all going off simultaneously. Add to that the second street bridge, complete with Army Howitzers (sp?). It was and is an incredible spectacle. They typically get 800,000 - 1,000,000 spectators.
Drop the howitzers and that sounds a lot like the annual Macy's Fourth of July fireworks show on the East River.

And if you haven't seen it yet, head down to Epcot at Disney World and take in IllumiNations, where again they do something very similar, but enhanced with water fountains, fire balls, and lasers. They do that show every night, and fire off over 1,000 shells in the process.

Although it doesn't really do the show justice, you have to be there to really get the full effect,

is one decent video of the show.

What would be your #1 thing to see or be present for in the USA.I'm thinking of breaking up my next trip by staying over in a couple of locations.

Mardigras in NO.

Gaspirilla in Tampa

New Years Eve in ?
Not that Amtrak serves Louisville, KY (which it doesn't)....

They were shooting of the Howitzers on the bridge maybe 750' from me, and I couldn't hear them because of the mass wall of sound from the fireworks. At the end, there were so many Roman Candles going off, it became one sound, not individual blasts. Quite impresssive.

I was sitting next to a fireworks professional from Florida and after the finaly, asked him what he thought. He just shook his head and said, "Amazing... The finaly probably cost $250,000 alone".
When I was flying Hot Air Balloons in my younger day, I always wanted to go to Derby Week & their Balloon Rally. Never made it.

When I was flying Hot Air Balloons in my younger day, I always wanted to go to Derby Week & their Balloon Rally. Never made it.
As you know, I am a hot air balloon crewman. I was talking to a balloon pilot last week about flying in Louisville. They fly right over the city! Last year (for the Adam Mathews festival), they had significant unforecasted winds. They were flying 35mph over Churchill Downs, right in the landing patern of SDF, with UPS jumbo jets flying under them :eek: . They ended up landing in Indiana.

Sure you want to fly there?

As you know, I am a hot air balloon crewman. I was talking to a balloon pilot last week about flying in Louisville. They fly right over the city! Last year (for the Adam Mathews festival), they had significant unforecasted winds. They were flying 35mph over Churchill Downs, right in the landing patern of SDF, with UPS jumbo jets flying under them :eek: . They ended up landing in Indiana.

Speaking of hot air balloons, there is a major hot air balloon event each September in the Lake George Resort area of New York. Check out this link if anyone's interested and make sure to check out the Media Room! You'll find several good photos at the site!

http://www.adirondackballoonfest.org/

My number one wish for Amtrak is that they equip their trains with wifi

There are "Old Pilots & Bold Pilots but, not many "Old, Bold Pilots" !!!!!! :p

I flew a balloon over Lake Okeechoobee averaging 33 mph. That was 32 years ago & I think I'm still feeling that one!!! B)

Well it looks like we are going to NYC this summer for about a week. So I'd put that as number 1 for this year anyway. I wish I could afford to stay in Manhattan but we will be on Long Island or in New Jersey as there are 6 of us. Going to see the Statue of Liberty, lotsa museums, etc. It will be a bit limited though because my wife doesn't do tunnels, elevators or subways. So lotsa dough to park around the city.

Dano

SanAntonio. Nobody seems to think about SanAntonio, but there's a lot there. Old missions, the Alamo, Long Horn Saloon, etc.
Since I was born and grew up in Texas, I have to second this one! And not only the sites Everydaymatters mentions, but also the RiverWalk and La Villita (adjacent to the southern end of the backward "C" that is the RiverWalk). A few years ago my husband and I flew down to S.A. on a long weekend and stayed, in a balcony room overlooking the river, at a hotel (the La Mansión del Rio, now an Omni) that had begun life as a 19th-century convent school and had just the best time! No need to walk far -- the little water taxis ply the river all day long, and there are scads of restaurants and shops and stuff to see just in that one area. El Mercado (the old Mexican market) is about three blocks in one direction, and the Alamo (a must-see, in my [admittedly biased!] estimation) is no more than a couple of blocks in the other, using a pedestrian walkway, and the missions (there are five, but my favorites have always been Concepción and San José) are south of town, reachable by tour vans or busses. They're now all five part of a National Historical Park, but have been in continuous use as churches as well as community life for 300 years.

I wouldn't go between, say, late May and September unless you don't mind heat! We were there in early February and it was warm and delightful.

My next big trip is going to be a combination of Grand Canyon NP and Glacier NP. Hopefully I can spend at least a week backpacking in each park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back