You can't get there from here...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thank you all for your input..What a convoluted mess. I wil probably have to just take Southwest to Ordlando and spend the whole time wondering which shake will bring us down or when the engine will explode and being squashed by others in my row of seats and pray I don't have to use the restroom.
Turbulence does not damage the plane, and the engine will not explode. :) If you are afraid of flying, perhaps your doctor can prescribe something?

I truly understand your fear. I am not afraid of flying, but my boyfriend is so terrified that even medication does not help. If the train doesn't go there, we drive, even if it means 20 hours in a car. So, I do sympathize. I would recommend either driving or taking a bus if you're that afraid of flying.
Thanks,,.I realize all the logical reasons planes are so safe and you have a better chance of winning the lottery than something happening in a plane. I do fly at times but just hate it. It is very uncomfortable in the little seats and cramped and loud without even taking into consideration the fear factor. I do have a prescription but the pills make me just yawn while I'm miserable. So while I hate it, there comes a point when I would hate other things more..like a bus or 4 days to get somewhere that isn't that far. I have eye issues and can't drive long distances so looks like planes are my destiny since the US really can't pull off efficient rail service. We are going to New York by AMTRAK and that is a much easier trip than just crossing the south. The Alb route is an option but getting to Alb is a challenge as well. It will work out I'm sure. :) thanks

Sunset East resulted in OTP as low as 1.5% and the route was and is terribly slow, a third of it running in dark territory limited to 59mph. That is not appealing at all for short distance riders and you cannot run a train successfully without them.

http://www.cityofmobile.org/railsummit/2012-08-13%20Stennis%20Mobile%20v1.pdf

There is absolutely no reason to spend tens of millions of dollars to restore a multimillion dollar losing segment of a route that provides bad local service with minimal patronage and simply makes maps look nicer to rail fans.
If the southern route is agonizingly slow and painful, would it be rather a better use of money to upgrade to passenger service level a route little higher up, something that probably branches off from Longview or Marshall towards Sherveport, Jackson, connecting to the Crescent route at Meridian or Tuscaloosa whichever feasible, going up to Atlanta and from there onwards to Savannah? Something like this-

CN2LD2y.jpg

This is just a rough render, I am not sure where exactly existing tracks of any sort are, but I am fairly positive there would be some tracks considering how dense the rail network in the country is, it is only a question of upgrading them to passenger train standards. There can be a train starting from Dallas/Fort Worth (picking connecting passengers from Texas Eagle) running to Atlanta or Savannah, connecting to Crescent and Silver service to Florida somewhere there. A lot of southern cities would get a train service, and trans-continental passengers would get an alternate route that does not require looooong detour via Chicago.

And did I mention this can happen when pigs would fly?
There has been on and off talk of a regional corridor between Atlanta and Macon. I'm not sure how serious or realistic any of that was, but if it does ever happen, then there would only by Macon - Savannah left to bring up to passenger standards.

I wil probably have to just take Southwest to Ordlando and spend the whole time wondering which shake will bring us down or when the engine will explode and being squashed by others in my row of seats and pray I don't have to use the restroom.
Turbulence does not damage the plane, and the engine will not explode.
It's not what I'd consider a statistically significant risk, but off the top of my head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNWbUB68oO4

American Airlines Flight 587 experienced wake turbulence which resulted in an overreaction on the part of the pilot in charge, bringing the plane down and killing 260 people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVxpHeKWJ2o

United Airlines Flight 232 experienced an uncontained engine failure (explosion) that eventually resulted in a crash landing which killed 111 people and injured many more.

That being said, I've "risked my life" hundreds of times on trains and planes with no ill effects thus far.

My track record with buses and private vehicles is another story entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I was thinking of the normal turbulence most planes experience. Many people I know freak out, and I try to explain that even though it sounds like a crash/bang sometimes, it's harmless. I don't tell them about those 0.000001% (or whatever) occurrences because the chance is so slim and I'm trying to get them to relax. ;)

I like to fly...as long as I can have one of the two front seats!
Ditto! However, keep in mind that the "Pilot in Command" (Captain on Airliners/Aircraft Commander in the Military))is the Desired Position on any Flight! (I'm the Best Pilot in the World Syndrome! ;) )

Disclaimer: I have a Commercial Certificate with Instruments and Single/Multi-Engine Land Ratings!

However Due to the High Cost of Flying I haven't flown a Plane Myself since 1998!! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to fly...as long as I can have one of the two front seats!
Ditto! However, keep in mind that the "Pilot in Command" (Captain on Airliners/Aircraft Commander in the Military))is the Desired Position on any Flight! (I'm the Best Pilot in the World Syndrome! ;) )

Disclaimer: I have a Commercial Certificate with Instruments and Single/Multi-Engine Land Ratings!

However Due to the High Cost of Flying I haven't flown a Plane Myself since 1998!! :(
Private with aerobatic training here; I was working on Commercial and Instrument when I lost my medical in 1999. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back