Yes Virginia there may be a Sunset Limited running east of New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of the three reported NOL - ORL options do you want to see?

• Restore the Sunset as it was pre-Katrina (does not provide daily service)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Operate the City of NOL though to ORL (provides daily service)

• Stand alone overnight train (provides daily service)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not poo-pooing any idea to go east of NOL but to trust the UP again would be equivalent to buying the Brooklyn Bridge.
Actually with the legislation that was passed near the end of last year, one doesn't need to worry quite so much about UP. The new rules and fines that the FRA is now able to impose will help keep UP in line.
Not to trump you Alan but I've been party to an FRA hearing where a high six figure fine to the UP was whittled down to $1,500 by UP lawyers. I'd trust a python in my pants pocket before I'd even consider trusting a UP lawyer.
Each time they go through the court system, the precedent adds to the case. It won't stay that low for long.
Not to mention UP has to pay these layers 6 figures and each time they get a case they usually have to cough up something more-- the more legal battles UP has to go through, the more money it costs them in the long run.
I totally agree; but the UP has more lawyers on full time staff, biting at the bit to save "their" RR's $$$ than some LD trains carry pax. I watched their ways for many a year~ they honestly would drag six lawyers into court with them than in order to avoid paying a legitimate injury claim. Delaying Amtrak is like swatting a mosquito to them at the present time. Hopefully, the new regs will ring their bell.

They do. But the problem in the past was that UP would have delivered the train onto CSX's tracks hours late. CSX is pretty good working with on-time, in-block Amtrak trains. They are not creative or dynamic, and when a train comes in outside of its block, it becomes a pariah and gets increasingly delayed. This contrasts with, say, BNSF which is often helpful with helping delayed Amtrak trains make up time. More over, CSX gave the go ahead years ago.

So despite the ownership of the tracks, the main impediment to SSL OTP is UP, on both sides of NOL. It was the OTP and resultant money pit that made Amtrak not want to restore the train once given an excuse to cancel it. That would be one advantage of a CHI-SAS, SAS-NOL, and CHI-NOL-ORL trio of trains- it would avoid having the UP-CSX handoff. The hand-off would be CN-CSX with most everything else being on the UP, atleast south of Temple.

As much as I hate to say goodbye to a grand old name like Sunset Limited, I think this arrangement makes a hell of a lot more sense. Besides, the Amtrak Sunset Limited was a disgrace to the name- even SP had the grace to drop "Limited" from its name when they downgraded it.

As much as I hate to say goodbye to a grand old name like Sunset Limited, I think this arrangement makes a hell of a lot more sense. Besides, the Amtrak Sunset Limited was a disgrace to the name- even SP had the grace to drop "Limited" from its name when they downgraded it.
Yes. The Golden State would be a fine name for the new train. All that I would suggest is that concurrently the Heartland Flyer be extended from Fort Worth to College Station - Houston connecting with the Golden State in Forth Worth in both directions. I know. I know crazy radical idea. But what the hey! Just needs one more set of a couple of Super Coaches and perhaps a CCC of which we have too many floating around anyway. It is the connectedness of the network that makes it more useful and hence brings more passengers to the system

They do. But the problem in the past was that UP would have delivered the train onto CSX's tracks hours late. CSX is pretty good working with on-time, in-block Amtrak trains. They are not creative or dynamic, and when a train comes in outside of its block, it becomes a pariah and gets increasingly delayed. This contrasts with, say, BNSF which is often helpful with helping delayed Amtrak trains make up time. More over, CSX gave the go ahead years ago.
So despite the ownership of the tracks, the main impediment to SSL OTP is UP, on both sides of NOL. It was the OTP and resultant money pit that made Amtrak not want to restore the train once given an excuse to cancel it. That would be one advantage of a CHI-SAS, SAS-NOL, and CHI-NOL-ORL trio of trains- it would avoid having the UP-CSX handoff. The hand-off would be CN-CSX with most everything else being on the UP, atleast south of Temple.

Yes. The Golden State would be a fine name for the new train. All that I would suggest is that concurrently the Heartland Flyer be extended from Fort Worth to College Station - Houston connecting with the Golden State in Forth Worth in both directions. I know. I know crazy radical idea. But what the hey! Just needs one more set of a couple of Super Coaches and perhaps a CCC of which we have too many floating around anyway. It is the connectedness of the network that makes it more useful and hence brings more passengers to the system
I'd imagine you could fill 2 coaches with HOS and NOL bound passengers alone...plus some connections east of NOL (easier doing FTW-HOS-NOL-ORL than it is doing FTW-CHI-WAS-ORL) on top of that. Not sure about the track situation between DAL and HOS nowadays though, but on paper it makes sense.

I'd imagine you could fill 2 coaches with HOS and NOL bound passengers alone...plus some connections east of NOL (easier doing FTW-HOS-NOL-ORL than it is doing FTW-CHI-WAS-ORL) on top of that. Not sure about the track situation between DAL and HOS nowadays though, but on paper it makes sense.
Dallas-Houston needs high speed rail. I suspect it would be very much used.

Yes it does...I was surprised when I didn't see it on the proposed national HSR network map.

Yes it does...I was surprised when I didn't see it on the proposed national HSR network map.
It is proposed in the proposed Texas T-Bone HSR project. The bottom of the T will split off from Temple and go to Houston.

http://www.thsrtc.com/

Rumor has it that Southwest Airlines has been a HUGE lobbyist against any sort of meaningful high speed rail. After all, they are essentially a railroad that has taken to the skies. An HSR system would GREATLY impact Southwest's market share.

As many times as I used to travel down I-35 between Dallas and San Antonio, and the few times I would go between Dallas and Houston on I-45, the benefit was always obvious.

Just try to wrangle land using imminent domain for a high speed rail corridor from landowners in Texas.

Before the T-Bone project, the Texas Triangle was proposed. It would have built a triangle between Dallas, San Antonion and Houston back up to Dallas. Any HS corridor in TX that includes El Paso would be greatly opposed due to the huge amount of infrastructure to service one major city. With just about nothing between San Antonio and El Paso, it's a different ball game than the highly congested I-35 and I-10 corridors.

Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland, Odessa and Abilene are the only other large cities West of the Ft. Worth/San Antonio line, but they are not in any sort of decent alignment.

Who put all these cities in these dumb places anyway? Ugh. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is proposed in the proposed Texas T-Bone HSR project. The bottom of the T will split off from Temple and go to Houston.

http://www.thsrtc.com/
Yeah, but it was not included in the proposed national map that came out. I still think the T-bone thing is stupid. They should directly connect DFW and Houston and T-bone off to San Antonio.

Yeah, but it was not included in the proposed national map that came out. I still think the T-bone thing is stupid. They should directly connect DFW and Houston and T-bone off to San Antonio.
Can't really do that. The route between DFW & San Antonio is MUCH more densely populated with multiple population centers served, including the State Capital. Keep in mind that rail is extraordinarily expensive (which I still can't figure out) and its success as a passenger option must be in direct competition (or congetion aleviation) to other modes of transit, ie: I-35.

I think that a practical routing would be San Antonio with alternate trains serving Dallas and Ft. Worth - NOT going through one to get to the other (that already exists with the TRE). Additional route would be from Austin to Houston. Most trains from Houston would term in Austin, where you can then decide to go to San Antonio, Dallas or Ft Worth. This is completely doable if you're on your own ROW and don't have to have your route depend on the freights. Obviously the disadvantage would be Houston straight to Dallas.

What makes my suggestion even possible is that you can almost paint a straight line from Houston to Austin without having to serve intermediate towns. Same with San Antonio to Austin to Temple to Dallas (or Ft Worth). Problem with Dallas to Houston is the mega void inbetween (except College Station).

Can't really do that. The route between DFW & San Antonio is MUCH more densely populated with multiple population centers served, including the State Capital. Keep in mind that rail is extraordinarily expensive (which I still can't figure out) and its success as a passenger option must be in direct competition (or congetion aleviation) to other modes of transit, ie: I-35.

I think that a practical routing would be San Antonio with alternate trains serving Dallas and Ft. Worth - NOT going through one to get to the other (that already exists with the TRE). Additional route would be from Austin to Houston. Most trains from Houston would term in Austin, where you can then decide to go to San Antonio, Dallas or Ft Worth. This is completely doable if you're on your own ROW and don't have to have your route depend on the freights. Obviously the disadvantage would be Houston straight to Dallas.

What makes my suggestion even possible is that you can almost paint a straight line from Houston to Austin without having to serve intermediate towns. Same with San Antonio to Austin to Temple to Dallas (or Ft Worth). Problem with Dallas to Houston is the mega void inbetween (except College Station).
I believe (though no evidence) that the most used corridor would be DFW-Houston. I know so many people that make that trip weekly or more. It has to be direct or Southwest Airlines will continue to carry all that traffic and rail will never compete. No one is going all the way to Austin to get to DFW.

The line to Austin from Houston was abandoned in the 1960's. You can't get there from here. Houston to Dallas was served by two railroads, the Southern Pacific and the Burlington/RI joint line. The SP ran the Sunbeam in 4hrs25min with one stop over 264 miles. The Burlington ran the Sam Houston Zephyr in about 4hrs on a route of 249.6 miles. Both routes still exist and are in decent shape. All it takes to resume service is the will to do it by TXDOT and Amtrak. Amtrak ran an extension of the Eagle on the SP route for a few years, but they took 6 hours to make the trip and the train did not last. No one is going to utilize a train that takes more than 4 hours when SWA offers hourly service and gets you there in a hour. So a train detouring through Temple or San Antonio to get to DFW is useless.

Amtrak has run a Fort Worth Houston service in two incarnations both via Temple.

The first was the Texas Chief which took 6:35 for the run stopping at Cleburne, McGregor, Temple and Bellville Yard on the way. This was circa 1972 and until the Texas Chief died.

After the death of Texas Chief, Amtrak ran a section of the Inter-American from Fort Worth to Texas which took 7:25, stopping at Cleburne, McGregor, Temple, Brenham, Rosenberg. This was circa 1980.

After the Inter-American died, Amtrak ran a section of the tri-weekly Texas Eagle from Dallas to Houston which took 6:10, and had stops at Corsicana and College Station on the way. This was circa 1990.

The Houston section was withdrawn sometime in the early 90s

The line to Austin from Houston was abandoned in the 1960's. You can't get there from here. Houston to Dallas was served by two railroads, the Southern Pacific and the Burlington/RI joint line. The SP ran the Sunbeam in 4hrs25min with one stop over 264 miles. The Burlington ran the Sam Houston Zephyr in about 4hrs on a route of 249.6 miles. Both routes still exist and are in decent shape. All it takes to resume service is the will to do it by TXDOT and Amtrak. Amtrak ran an extension of the Eagle on the SP route for a few years, but they took 6 hours to make the trip and the train did not last. No one is going to utilize a train that takes more than 4 hours when SWA offers hourly service and gets you there in a hour. So a train detouring through Temple or San Antonio to get to DFW is useless.
Of course not. My plan is if Texas can pull off their intrastate HSR project, a standard guage, electrified, newest technology steel wheel passenger only ROW that is rated to 180 MPH or higher (ie: Shinkansen, TGV) could, indeed, get to there from here. My preliminary estimations would guess that on 180 MPH line, averaging 150 MPH, you could go from Houston to Austin to Dallas in 2:36. That's about an hour and a half longer than SWA, but when you figure the waiting room, etc., you're probably 1/2 hour delta. San Antonio to Dallas could be done in 1:50. It's bold, but doable in my opinion.

All Amtrak has to do is connect El Paso to the rest of the mess and tie Texas to the Nation.

Amtrak has run a Fort Worth Houston service in two incarnations both via Temple.
The first was the Texas Chief which took 6:35 for the run stopping at Cleburne, McGregor, Temple and Bellville Yard on the way. This was circa 1972 and until the Texas Chief died.

After the death of Texas Chief, Amtrak ran a section of the Inter-American from Fort Worth to Texas which took 7:25, stopping at Cleburne, McGregor, Temple, Brenham, Rosenberg. This was circa 1980.

After the Inter-American died, Amtrak ran a section of the tri-weekly Texas Eagle from Dallas to Houston which took 6:10, and had stops at Corsicana and College Station on the way. This was circa 1990.

Did the Houston section of the Eagle actually stop in Fort Worth? I rode it once and I remember they combined the two sections in Dallas. I don't recall if we stopped in Fort Worth or not.

Of course not. My plan is if Texas can pull off their intrastate HSR project, a standard guage, electrified, newest technology steel wheel passenger only ROW that is rated to 180 MPH or higher (ie: Shinkansen, TGV) could, indeed, get to there from here. My preliminary estimations would guess that on 180 MPH line, averaging 150 MPH, you could go from Houston to Austin to Dallas in 2:36. That's about an hour and a half longer than SWA, but when you figure the waiting room, etc., you're probably 1/2 hour delta. San Antonio to Dallas could be done in 1:50. It's bold, but doable in my opinion.
All Amtrak has to do is connect El Paso to the rest of the mess and tie Texas to the Nation.
Okay, if that route can really be done in 2:36 (Houston-Dallas) and does not require a train change in Austin, then that amount of time is competitive.

I still believe, though, you would get a lot more use with a straight shot (and less time). And I would bet it would be the most used corridor of any in Texas.

The successor to the Texas Chief was Amtrak's Lone Star which became a victim of the Jimmy Carter masacre. At that time they threw Houston a bone by sending a piece of the Inter-American from Temple to Houston. That did not last long. After a gap of several years they tried sending a branch of the Eagle from Dallas to Houston using the old SP route and it took maybe 6 hours. That also did not last. The Texas Chief/Lone Star route through Fort Worth, OKC, KC to Chicago was a popular one, but it did not serve the Houston-Dallas market. None of the others ever caught on.

Now of course Houston has a thru-way bus connection to the Eagle at Longview. Seems appropriate for a city of 5 million people don't you think?

Longview is just about as close to Houston as Austin is... :)

A lot of Houston's problems are Houston's alone. They've chosen not to support rail and they've chosen to put in a half-butt light rail disaster and they've chosen to spend their money on three huge loops around the city.

They're sleeping in the bed they made.

Okay, if that route can really be done in 2:36 (Houston-Dallas) and does not require a train change in Austin, then that amount of time is competitive.

I still believe, though, you would get a lot more use with a straight shot (and less time). And I would bet it would be the most used corridor of any in Texas.
Again, though, the problem is that it can only serve Dallas and Houston. I'm not aware of any high speed city pairs that are the only stations on the route. There are no intermediate population centers that could benefit (except perhaps College Station). Routing it through Austin would now immediately pick up San Antonio, Austin, Temple, Waco, Dallas and Ft Worth with just one train change.

Again, though, the problem is that it can only serve Dallas and Houston. I'm not aware of any high speed city pairs that are the only stations on the route. There are no intermediate population centers that could benefit (except perhaps College Station). Routing it through Austin would now immediately pick up San Antonio, Austin, Temple, Waco, Dallas and Ft Worth with just one train change.
Running right up I45 hits Spring (The Woodlands), Conroe, Huntsville, Corsicana. Not huge places, but places that would benefit.

I am not saying there should not also be a San Antonio-DFW corrider, I just think this one is more important and will be better used. Just my opinion.

The successor to the Texas Chief was Amtrak's Lone Star which became a victim of the Jimmy Carter masacre.
I don't exactly remember the sequence of events. There was a train called the Inter-American which ran Chicago - Laredo via SAS. It was cut back to SAS dropping the SAS - Laredo portion and at that time it was given the via Temple - Houston leg. This possibly happened at the same time that Lone Star was dropped. I will have to dig up the rest of my Amtrak timetable stash this evening when I get back home to figure out the exact sequence of events.

Longview is just about as close to Houston as Austin is... :)
A lot of Houston's problems are Houston's alone. They've chosen not to support rail and they've chosen to put in a half-butt light rail disaster and they've chosen to spend their money on three huge loops around the city.

They're sleeping in the bed they made.
Your are right. Some of the larger states such as Texas, Florida, and New York need to step up to the plate and fund some Amtrak passenger services like California, Illinois, North Carolina and other states have done instead of building more highways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back