Yes Virginia there may be a Sunset Limited running east of New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of the three reported NOL - ORL options do you want to see?

• Restore the Sunset as it was pre-Katrina (does not provide daily service)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Operate the City of NOL though to ORL (provides daily service)

• Stand alone overnight train (provides daily service)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

had8ley

Engineer
Just received a letter dated 4/28 from Thomas L.Stennis~ Director, Government Affairs South, for Amtrak. He states that a committee was formed and came to the following conclusions concerning the eastbound service of the Sunset Ltd.; 1. Operate the train the same as pre-Katrina.

2. Operate the City of New Orleans through New Orleans, on a daily basis, to Orlando and lastly; 3. a stand alone train running at night between New Orleans and Orlando. He goes on to say that these scenarios, and the associated costs, will be presented to Congress on or before July 16th. Let's keep our fingers crossed that service will start soon after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received a letter dated 4/28 from Thomas L.Stennis~ Director, Government Affairs South, for Amtrak. He states that a committee was formed and came to the following conclusions concerning the eastbound service of the Sunset Ltd.; 1. Operate the train the same as pre-Katrina.2. Operate the City of New Orleans through New Orleans, on a daily basis, to Orlando and lastly; a stand alone train running at night between New Orleans and Orlando. He goes on to say that these scenarios, and the associated costs, will be presented to Congress on or before July 16th. Let's keep our fingers crossed that service will start soon after.
I like the one-seat-ride from Chicago idea!

Here's the old SL schedule from Fall/Winter 1999/2000, before much of the crazy padding was added...note the shorter running time between NOL and ORL, and fairly reasonable times for all cities between NOL and MOE, compared to what was the norm in the early 00's.

Sunset Limited 99/00

I'm still a fan of a full seperate train NOL-ORL but I like the idea of a through coach and sleeper from the CONO, similar to the TE/SL combination in SAS.

While I love the addition or re-addition of a new route or extension of an existing route, I would have to disagree with the CHI-ORL via NOL train. Sure it may work, but Georgia needs some sort of service and an ORL-ATL-CHI route makes sense since it picks up both the CHI markets and ATL markets instead of running over existing markets down to Florida.

While I love the addition or re-addition of a new route or extension of an existing route, I would have to disagree with the CHI-ORL via NOL train. Sure it may work, but Georgia needs some sort of service and an ORL-ATL-CHI route makes sense since it picks up both the CHI markets and ATL markets instead of running over existing markets down to Florida.
The restoration or alternatives being discusses are relatively cheap.

To do a Chicago - Atlanta - Florida train on a decently fast and reliable schedule would cost megabucks. Remember, the most reliable and best used of the old Chicago to Florida trains was the City of Miami that did not go through Atlanta, and it cannot be resurrected as portions of its route have been abandoned and other portions are now low speed short lines. The one of the "fast three" that did go through Atlanta died pre 1960. Its route is all still there, and all now CSX, but it is highly congested and would need a lot of curve straightening to be reasonably fast even if uncongested. Sooooo: Unless someone has a pipeline into large amounts of cash, there will not be any Chicago to Atlanta train.

Not that I don't want to see trains on this route. I have always thought that if a 12 to 14 hour Chicago-Atlanta schedule could be achieved in the 1950's that a heavily used day train and overnight train would both have done well and probably lasted to A-day with one or more being carried forward.

Just received a letter dated 4/28 from Thomas L.Stennis~ Director, Government Affairs South, for Amtrak. He states that a committee was formed and came to the following conclusions concerning the eastbound service of the Sunset Ltd.; 1. Operate the train the same as pre-Katrina.2. Operate the City of New Orleans through New Orleans, on a daily basis, to Orlando and lastly; a stand alone train running at night between New Orleans and Orlando. He goes on to say that these scenarios, and the associated costs, will be presented to Congress on or before July 16th. Let's keep our fingers crossed that service will start soon after.

I hope your final 5 words are epiphinal!! We've been waiting so long and I'd love a long weekend trip to NOLA from TLH by train!!!!

The Sunset Ltd would really have altered my travel plans for summer. I would have gont NYP-SAV-ORL-NOL-LAX. Now i'm going

NYP-CHS-SAV-BAL-(a few stations in between including SEA)-LAX-CHI-NOL.

A connection between Florida and New Orleans does make sense, even if it's only running 3 days a week.

Me and several friends have been waiting four years for this. This is the moment of truth here guys. Sunset Limited is a train I'm personally been waiting for a long time. I've never seen it before except for multiple videos and photos taken oof the train in Florida. By the way guys I don't normally go off topic, but aren't they also restoring the Pioneer and Desert Wind as well?

maybe we should all email our congresscritters now asking for their support in resumption of this service due to the imminent release of Amtrak's recommendations.

maybe we should all email our congresscritters now asking for their support in resumption of this service due to the imminent release of Amtrak's recommendations.
Great suggestion. Not to say that almost four years of reminders have been crossing their desks on a daily basis.

The only difference I see between the three options is that options 1 and 2 let passengers "sit through" NO, while option 3 forces passengers to transfer. All the options have trains leaving NO in the late afternoon and arriving in Orlando the next day. I assume a similar run westbound for the options. Other than that, all these options are basically the same service. Wouldn't it make sense to keep the train as it was, since more passengers go east of NO from the Sunset than the City of NO? As I understand it, many people traveled through NO on the Sunset. It would be wise to let the train go through NO so they wouldn't have to transfer. Timekeeping has turned around, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The only difference I see between the three options is that options 1 and 2 let passengers "sit through" NO, while option 3 forces passengers to transfer. All the options have trains leaving NO in the late afternoon and arriving in Orlando the next day. I assume a similar run westbound for the options. Other than that, all these options are basically the same service. Wouldn't it make sense to keep the train as it was, since more passengers go east of NO from the Sunset than the City of NO? As I understand it, many people traveled through NO on the Sunset. It would be wise to let the train go through NO so they wouldn't have to transfer. Timekeeping has turned around, so that shouldn't be an issue.
When I took the Sunset between Jacksonville and New Orleans and vv, there were always lots of passengers connecting to and from the CNO to Chicago and other midwest points. The westbound Sunset was usually not more than an hour late into New Orleans so it usually had a good conection to the northbound CNO. Southbound CNO to Eastbound Sunset was another story because the Sunset often ran very late. Quite a few passengers would take the Capital LTD/Sliver Star from Chicago to Florida points via Washington and return by the Sunset/CNO to avoid the delay in New Orleans ]

I am curious if that SL route has extended. Will New Orleans station handle the capacity for passengers during layover?
If the Sunset is reextended east of NOL, the the passengers that are on the train into NOL will just remain on the train. A few curious might decide to go into the station depending on just how long the layover is, but many won't.

If they don't extend the Sunset east, but instead choose one of the other options, then things would get a bit more interesting. The station itself has the capacity for the passengers, the problem would be with the Magnolia Room, the first class lounge. That doesn't have the capacity.

I would love to see a high quality, first rate, Empire-esque Flagship of the South. LA to Orlando by train, able to stick to its schedule, no more than an hour and a half layover anywhere.

You'd think Disney would be all over this! Disney to Disney service!

I would love to see a high quality, first rate, Empire-esque Flagship of the South. LA to Orlando by train, able to stick to its schedule, no more than an hour and a half layover anywhere.
You'd think Disney would be all over this! Disney to Disney service!
Aloha

Na Disney would not benefit, How many would have the time to visit both parks plus the cross country train. the best gain for disney would be gtting the southern rout to Orlando for those passengers.

Now having said no to that kind of trip, I would do it just to do it, assuming I wone a lottery, gues it may be time to buy a ticket. :)

I am curious if that SL route has extended. Will New Orleans station handle the capacity for passengers during layover?
If the Sunset is reextended east of NOL, the the passengers that are on the train into NOL will just remain on the train. A few curious might decide to go into the station depending on just how long the layover is, but many won't.
I agree. I took the SL way back when it ran straight thru - and went from LAX to JAX. Last month was the first time I was inside NOL! :blink: I'm sure there are many other passengers like me. (As far as NOL, I mean! Nobody is as crazy as I am! :p )

I agree. I took the SL way back when it ran straight thru - and went from LAX to JAX. Last month was the first time I was inside NOL! :blink: I'm sure there are many other passengers like me. (As far as NOL, I mean! Nobody is as crazy as I am! :p )
The closest I think I ever was to being inside NOL was watching archive stuff on the History Channel or something... Some day I plan on going down to see if I can stir up any trouble, but until then I guess I have to stay north of the Mason-Dixon line.

He goes on to say that these scenarios, and the associated costs, will be presented to Congress on or before July 16th. Let's keep our fingers crossed that service will start soon after.
Considering that Congress is not even in session at that time, I would not keep them crossed for too long.

Personally living along the CNO line I was quite interested to read the Newsletter this week that talked about this idea. I didn't think that Amtrak would actually be considering this quickly. One thing I would add if at all possible is that the branch off the CNO that was called the River cities connecting at Centralia Il and on to St. Louis and Kansas City was a good one, but if I were wishing for the most ideal extension I would opt for it to go on to Omaha thus connecting people in Denver and west to a shorter route to both missouri destinations as well as on to florida avoiding going all the way into Chicago. Plus it would add access to the CZ from St. Louis and Kansas City as well. That would do quite a bit to enhance the system. Well while were at it why not run that connecting train on to New York giving the Mid West a real chance to go east without spending days out of there way in travel. Makes sense to me.

Someone want to add a poll to this thread. I'd like to see what us at AU think is the best option.

I'm kind of torn between getting the Sunset back as it were or extending the CONO. I think it should definitely be daily. I have no doubt that a same seat Chicago to Florida train would do very well, and when you have the benefit of a same day connection from the western part of the Sunset to have even more connections. I think a through Chicago-Florida train would probably make more revenue than a California-Florida train. Well actually I'm not really sure.

But here an idea...take a sleeper and a coach from the CONO and tack it on to the eastbound Sunset. That would make a same seat service for both trains! Or something to that effect. But of course what happens on days the Sunset isn't running? Something to ponder about....

If they don't extend the Sunset east, but instead choose one of the other options, then things would get a bit more interesting. The station itself has the capacity for the passengers, the problem would be with the Magnolia Room, the first class lounge. That doesn't have the capacity.
This past weekend I went to New Orleans for Jazz Fest and to pick up some tickets. I was speaking with one of the station agents and they said that they were planning on expanding the Magnolia Room. It seems that there are some recently vacated Amtrak offices behind the lounge. These offices have apparently been moved to another area in the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back