Would This Amtrak Trip be Romantic... or a Good Way to Destroy a Relat

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A cross country three day trip seems a bit extreme. If everything goes OK, she may love it and will be you travel companion for life. If there are delays or equipment problems, you may never get her on a train again, or see her ever again if things really go bad. Exercise caution!
I think the best thing for the OP to do right now is to show her this forum. Seeing all the opinions would be better than just a "summary" of the trip and likely problems.

Is there an Amtrak version of the airlines' Mile High Club? Just asking, wholly for research purposes, you understand.
Didn't I read, on AU, that it was the 79mph club? :giggle:
I thught that some on here decided that they liked Clickety Clack Club (CCC! which we don't like!)
I believe that was me, but I never noticed the "CCC" part.

The problem with 79mph club is that it could apply to a car as well...

My fiancee and I have done three long-distance train trips together and have a great time on each of the trips. In November 2011, she was still living in Northeast Arkansas and I was in Wisconsin... so I got on #421 in Chicago and she got on in Poplar Bluff and we went out to Palm Springs to visit her grandma. She is now living with me here in Wisconsin and last month we rode #5 from Chicago to Emeryville and #14 from Oakland to Los Angeles.

We found the trip to be romantic, but I can't say the same for every female. My fiancee is very tolerant and supportive of the "train thing" though. She has gone with me to Toledo in May to see the 40th Anniversary train, came with me to meet Joe Boardman when he rolled through Milwaukee last month, and has staked out some railfan spots with me to see all 6 of the 40th Anniversary locomotives come through Illinois and Milwaukee... as well as rode the #10031 Dome with me twice too.

Maybe you want to consider atleast a roomette for the last day. My fiancee was fine with a bedroom or a roomette, but I don't think she'd want to sleep in coach and not have a private or atleast semi-private bathroom.

But, go for it. I love doing train trips with my fiancee... you spend a lot of quality time with someone you are dating when you are on the train... there is no TV and not a lot of distractions... so you get to talk about things and open up a bit more than you do when you're at home and have to rush around.

Is there an Amtrak version of the airlines' Mile High Club? Just asking, wholly for research purposes, you understand.
I thught that some on here decided that they liked Clickety Clack Club (CCC! which we don't like!)

I can just see a train with Viewliner Sleepers pulling into a packed station and the berth is still going 79 MPH curtains open :eek: :lol:

If you are er.. doing stuff in a car at 79 you are either incredibly good at multitasking or greatly distracting the driver with a free show :p

If by road you are referring to Greyhound, Megabus or Ambus, I don't even want to think how awkward that would be!

Like any trip, of any kind, its all what you make of it! I had my first train trip ever from Boston to Orlando with a fairly new boyfriend! We had a blast, relaxed, and came out of the trip still crazy about each other. It helps to reeeaaaallly like you travel partner, makes the close quarters even more fun ;-), but also the time seems to fly by, and you can laugh about any inconvienences. We have done another 24 hr trip, plus a 3 day Boston to LA since then!!! I love the time alone with him, just relaxing and being together. enjoy!!!

Hope OP lets us know how his trip turns out. My husband's never slept on a train and I'm thinking about an anniversary trip, long weekend with two overnights....

Hello all,

I'm thinking of inviting my girlfriend to join me for a trip from Emeryville to Boston, via the California Zephyr and Lakeshore Limited. It would be about 3 days, and we'd have a roomette for the Zephyr up to Chicago (2 days), and then a coach seat down to Boston (1 day).

Anyone do anything like that with a romantic partner before? And if so, did you have a great time, or did the small space drive you guys nuts? :D
Multiple times. We're both small, so the space was not an issue. Roomettes even have room for romance if you're small. They certainly have plenty of room to sleep if you're small. I'd volunteer to sleep in the upper bunk unless she takes a fancy to it, though, since it's a bit of an exercise in gymnastics to get in and out of it. I actually prefer the Viewliner roomettes to the Superliner roomettes, despite the odd toilet arrangements; the Viewliner roomettes are larger and have windows for the upper bunk.

I've also done overnights in coach, and I do *not* recommend it if your girlfriend is anything less than a very heavy sleeper; even though people are supposed to be quiet at night, they aren't, and it's hard to get a good night's sleep. One tip: if you do go overnight in coach on the LSL, make absolutely sure you're in an Amfleet II with the big seats; if the neighboring coach has bigger seats than yours, move seats. I got stuck in an Amfleet I overnight once and that was truly miserable. But I'd strongly recommend a roomette if you don't want her to be cranky and sleep-deprived on the morning of arrival. When budgeting it, remember that the roomette comes with included meals, which for two people often makes the price look a lot more justifiable. (I believe Chicago to Boston would have breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but I've never done it so someone may correct me.)

If you don't have a strong reason to go to Boston and can't afford roomettes for both legs of the trip, you might consider making a shorter trip (to Chicago, for instance, or to Denver, or to Portland, or to Seattle) so that you can make it all-roomette. Being able to sleep lying down makes a huge difference.

Of course, my fiancee took to train travel immediately because she has arthritis, which means that the cramped conditions of planes, buses, and cars are very bad for her, and being able to stretch her legs on the train makes all the difference; if your girlfriend enjoys 20-hour plane flights or 18-hour drives, she probably won't take to train travel as quickly.

I hope to hear back how the trip goes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back