Would This Amtrak Trip be Romantic... or a Good Way to Destroy a Relat

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the train is in Denver, I suppose!
laugh.gif
In the Moffat Tunnel, it'd be a 1.7 mile high club! ;)

Thanks all! I probably should have mentioned that she's done short (6-7 hour) trips in coach on Amtrak before. Neither of us has ever done an overnight trip. I'll pitch it to her, and see what she thinks!

As for getting a bedroom, I wish I could, but on our student budgets (we're both still in University) I'm afraid that even the roomette is a stretch!
If she's done trips in coach and enjoyed it, a roomette would offer beds to sleep in. I'd take it over two coach seats.

So long as you aren't trying to make romance, it should be fine, especially if the person on the top bunk is relatively small.

Aside: I did see a couple basically laying on top of one another in coach on my last trip. That was...interesting.

Just to be as clear as I can be on G-rated forum.

The lower berth in a roomette has enough room for one person to sleep. Not enough room for nookie, since the bed is both quite narrow and kind of walled in on each end.

So if all you are planning to do is sleep, roomette is fine. Otherwise...

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless the trip is a surprise, (which would be a bad way to introduce her to Amtrak in my opinion) I would show her this thread.
I think that would be a great idea, too.

Bottom line: I would not use a Viewliner roomette for two people. I know it is done, but there is just a little too much yuck factor for my taste.
I don't know what you consider to be too "yucky", but I think that a Viewliner roomette is better than Coach or airliners, even in Domestic First. Even though it's not hte best (bedroom), I think that a Viewliner roomette is still be pretty good.

f you want to make a good impression on a first trip - keep it short and get a bedroom. Bedroom from Emeryville to Denver would be a great introduction. Then grab a Southwest flight to the east coast after spending the night in a nice Denver hotel (the Oxford would be a good one). You'll save time (and maybe money) and she'll want to go on another Amtrak trip.
Southwest fares are not that cheap nowadays. If the OP wants to fly DEN-BOS, then he should go with United because they have a hub in DEN, resulting in cheaper fares.

Thanks all! I probably should have mentioned that she's done short (6-7 hour) trips in coach on Amtrak before. Neither of us has ever done an overnight trip. I'll pitch it to her, and see what she thinks!

As for getting a bedroom, I wish I could, but on our student budgets (we're both still in University) I'm afraid that even the roomette is a stretch!
I find bedrooms very expensive, too, and not that worth it for me. To save money, please check out www.amsnag.net for cheaper fares. Remember that you can also cancel if you have not picked up your tickets, unless they already have E-Tickets on one of your trains.

Is there an Amtrak version of the airlines' Mile High Club? Just asking, wholly for research purposes, you understand.
If I understand correctly, it's Amtrak Guest Rewards. Fixx42, please sign up with AGR if you haven't already, as I say, it's always better to have some point rather than no points!

If I understand correctly, it's Amtrak Guest Rewards. Fixx42, please sign up with AGR if you haven't already, as I say, it's always better to have some point rather than no points!
You're not understanding correctly. And I'm to sweet & innocent to correct your understanding. I'll leave it to the more experienced (in travel mode, that is :ph34r: ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line: I would not use a Viewliner roomette for two people. I know it is done, but there is just a little too much yuck factor for my taste.
I don't know what you consider to be too "yucky", but I think that a Viewliner roomette is better than Coach or airliners, even in Domestic First. Even though it's not hte best (bedroom), I think that a Viewliner roomette is still be pretty good.
The room is fine. It's the unenclosed toilet in the room that's the problem for two people. When airlines take the doors off the lavs, then I'll agree with you.

Is there an Amtrak version of the airlines' Mile High Club? Just asking, wholly for research purposes, you understand.
Now, that has to be the laugh of the day. Oh, if only we got credit toward future travel from The MIle High Club! :lol:

The room is fine. It's the unenclosed toilet in the room that's the problem for two people. When airlines take the doors off the lavs, then I'll agree with you.
Well, at least Amtrak is going to take the toilets out and put them in a separate room. At least they going to do something.

Now, that has to be the laugh of the day. Oh, if only we got credit toward future travel from The MIle High Club! :lol:
Agreed! Hahahahaha that credit would be nice in a couple years!

ohmy.gif
Oh boy.. I am itching to post a link here for the benefit of this gentleman but in the larger interest of the community I think I'll pass.
tongue.gif

Well, at least Amtrak is going to take the toilets out and put them in a separate room. At least they going to do something.
That will make the room fine for two people, particularly with the generous headroom in the upper bunk and the window up there.

The lower berth in a roomette has enough room for one person to sleep. Not enough room for nookie, since the bed is both quite narrow and kind of walled in on each end.

And of course, the other problem is that the roomettes/bedrooms are not "sound proof." You *will* draw an audience you might not be expecting/desiring! :eek:

Especially in those bedrooms that face each other (e.g. D-E and C-B), etc, with that flimsy partition in between.

I add to what I said earlier...I see a lot of people now suggesting a simple overnight trip...I would not. You live in California it seems since you would be leaving from Emeryville I'm guessing you live in the bay area. Why not just a take a simple day trip to Sacramento. Its a fairly short trip perfect for testing the waters. At least if she doesn't like it, its short enough.

I add to what I said earlier...I see a lot of people now suggesting a simple overnight trip...I would not. You live in California it seems since you would be leaving from Emeryville I'm guessing you live in the bay area. Why not just a take a simple day trip to Sacramento. Its a fairly short trip perfect for testing the waters. At least if she doesn't like it, its short enough.
I believe that the OP mentioned that he and his girlfriend have both taken day trips before.

I believe that the OP mentioned that he and his girlfriend have both taken day trips before.
In that case never mind then

Aw, it isn't that hard to accomplish. One just needs to be sufficiently motivated. ;)

facepalm.gif

Aw, it isn't that hard to accomplish. One just needs to be sufficiently motivated. ;)
So, which train were you on 9 months ago? :p

If you've done day trips and she's up for a three-day overnighter, I'd say go for it. As to how romantic you can be in a roomette: If *either* of you are of small to medium size and *both* of you have a good sense of humor, I'd also say to go for it. I was across the hall from a honeymoon couple last year on the CZ and they spent nearly the entire time ensconced in their roomette. From what I could tell they left the bottom bed down. They were both on the slender side.

A cross country three day trip seems a bit extreme. If everything goes OK, she may love it and will be you travel companion for life. If there are delays or equipment problems, you may never get her on a train again, or see her ever again if things really go bad. Exercise caution!

Folks at work know I'm a big advocate of Amtrak travel, so whenever someone mentions "North by Northwest" in a conversation about how excited they are about their first, upcoming "romantic" roomette experience with their spousal unit, I do my best to set realistic expectations.

On our recently completed cross - country trip, we sat at dinner at one point with a couple on their honeymoon. Somehow the conversation got around to the point that all there is to do on the train is eat and sleep. At which point the young lady said they would be doing something else. ;) She thoroughly enjoyed saying that while the young man was totally embarrassed. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back