Work at New York Penn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any reason that NJT could not lengthen their NJ platforms? I believe the LIRR has done that extensively....granted, the LIRR does not have to use the 'short' platforms at NYP...

For a 380 or a 747-8 a wider runway and taxiway is also required (or an FAA waiver) so even if I have a gate that could take one it might still be a no go....but that does not change the validity of your point.
The example of super-jumbo's is the extreme case...I was thinking more in line of running an A321 over an A320, or A320 over an A319, etc...just an incremental change that would yield more seats for each valuable takeoff....

The short platforms through out the NEC has been a point of contention for many posters. NYP definitely has some, Wilmington, Baltimore, & even WASH after PRR shortened all the upper platforms by 2 car lengths.

Penn south at NY will have longer platforms but that does not take in present tracks 1 - 4. In our opinion getting longer platforms at stations should be a number 1 priority. Unfortunately that is not as sexy as new trains, higher speeds, stations, CAT, and so on.

Longer trains with platforms that can just have one stop for loading can dramatically improve a line's capacity. If NYPS and all the out lying stations could handle 14 - 16 car trains line capacity would improve markedly. Of course longer trains would mean 1 o2 trains per hour less as standard interval from the end of one train to next train has to be maintained. As well it would take slightly longer to clear the ladder track inbound or outbound. That is one reason Amtrak needs to rebuild "A" interlocking so trains can travel thru the interlocking faster. The temporary speed reductions at NYPS really gummed up the schedules. ( Temp 10 MPH now back to 15 and maybe 20 once work is complete ? )

Unfortunately there are some agencies that have not planned for future longer platforms. VRE is a prime example of that problem as some of their stations already have too short platforms for their sometimes longer trains. Right now VRE cannot operate more trains so once their new daytime layover facility is finished they are going to have major problems with longer trains but not longer platforms.

We're thinking of a trip to experience the Empire Service to ALB going out of New York Grand Central station. We would be coming from SPG into NYP. Has Amtrak made any provisions such as a bus shuttle between the two stations or is it up to you to get there?

Returning this thread to its original title, does anyone have information on how the work is going so far, 9 days (17%) in? I assume the work was broken down into many separate projects. I'm curious how some of the early projects might have performed...on schedule, ahead of schedule, behind schedule? Thanks

Is that based on how long they actually expect it to take?

Or based on the Scotty from Star Trek schedule, aka sandbagging the estimate to be a miracle worker? :)

Another week, another time-lapse video from Amtrak. From the video description:

... crews install of 2 of 4 switch points with stock rails on 37 switch, a complex double slip switch which allows for possible directions through one switch. Typical switches allow for 2 possible directions.

I think we should start a poll. How long after the completion will it take

A) for the first train to hop the rail?

B) a train to run a stop signal and barge through the brand new switches?

C) for switch failure to occur and paralyze the station?

D) the severe congestion that has disappeared to return and paralyze the station?

The schedules are being restored on Tuesday, 9/5. All in all, I'm actually sorry to see all of the trains return. It was nice to have breathing room and to see the railroads in the area maximizing their facilities and resources. With spare capacity, there was room for error. It was nice to have recovery time.

Now, we'll go back to stuffing trains into a station that is operating at 120% capacity.

It's not too late to straight-rail Swift! ;) We see who the problem is! I've said it for years and I think the point is proven. Removing the Mid Clowns from the equation really helps the operation!

There are some nice photos of the work that was done in this article.

http://projects.newsday.com/lirr/lirrs-summer-hell-trackwork-penn-station/
Why not use concrete tie for track ten. Strange to use wood ties and pour concrete around it. If it floods, wouldn't the wooden tie dry rot?
I wondered about that detail myself. I do not think what they did was anything new however, and I am sure they know how to replace those ties without disturbing the concrete if it becomes necessary. I thought they might have used a direct connection between the rail and the concrete the way it has been done on some recent tunnel and bridge projects, but for whatever reason they didn't.

I really wish Amtrak would just keep working there. Now that things are back to "normal," my NJ Transit trains are starting to come into Princeton Junction late again. :(

They are wooden ties. Concrete ties are heavy, expensive and not really maneuverable so working with them inside the confines of Penn Station would have added more time to the project without a real gain. .

Back