Woo hoo! Wine tasting resuming in the Parlour Car!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea of a non-Amtrak person taking orders on an Amtrak train, and a non-Amtrak person accepting payment for same on the train, and a non-Amtrak person delivering the meals, is something like a food vendor walking into a restaurant and selling food to the general public on the restaurant's premises. Also, this is interstate commerce. State Health Departments are not involved in inspecting facilities for interstate food operations. The Federal Food & Drug Administration does that. So the kitchens, delivery vehicles, etc. would be subject to F.D.A. inspection, and all employees would be subject to F.D.A. certification. Not trying to throw a monkey wrench into the works. Just stating the facts

Yep, the only way this can happen is through a properly executed contract between Amtrak and the vendor. Any other person attempting such will run afoul of many regulations very quickly I am sure.

I'm not so sure. If you set it up within one state, delivering meals from one (or two) restaurants, which are completely packaged from the restaurant to the consumer, you're just running a courier or delivery service. The regulations on those are pretty lax in most states.

...still won't work if the trains aren't running on time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, the only way this can happen is through a properly executed contract between Amtrak and the vendor. Any other person attempting such will run afoul of many regulations very quickly I am sure.
All valid points to be covered during the RFPs and Negotiations with the Unions but if Airlines can do it so can Amtrak!!!!

There's also the liability issue. If Amtrak knowingly permits non-Amtrak food to be served, then Amtrak could be held liable for any problems (food poisoning, etc.), just because they permitted it on their train. Lawyers gotta make a living, you know.

There's also the liability issue. If Amtrak knowingly permits non-Amtrak food to be served, then Amtrak could be held liable for any problems (food poisoning, etc.), just because they permitted it on their train. Lawyers gotta make a living, you know.
Please note I included in my original Proposal that no OBS should lose their jobs, they could fill the badly needed slots on the LD Routes according to Seniority!
As for the Legal concerns, jis covered this in his post about negotiations, Amtrak has plenty of Lawyers as do the Unions and all Corporations that would bid on the contracts! (Those doing the food service wouldn't be Amtrak employees and it wouldn't be Amtrak food!)

It seems like a fair and workable compromise, so be it. Now get this on all the LD trains so I can try it!

Btw, about the poster who mentions Disney, I always thought if Disney and Amtrak got together for a promotion campaign, where coach and sleeper passengers on the Silver trains were targeted for some proportionate extras in theme park admission, would work like magic.

amtrak contracts with a havre restaurant for optional boxed chicken dinners for the 2nd day dinner on 7/27 and for breakfasts for sleeper pax on 27 the last morning. also, contracts with a pdx concern for dinner the first night out of pdx

I have no idea how Amtrak handles the legal issues re. this Havre arrangement. But if there's a lawsuit, Amtrak will likely be dragged into it if they have any involvement whatsoever.
As far as I know no one has gotten sick from eating Big Sky Picnic Chicken, Cold Breakfast or Cold Supper from PDX; so despite the number of Sharks who are likely circling with business cards in hands, the chances for a feeding frenzy of lawsuits are minimal.

I have no idea how Amtrak handles the legal issues re. this Havre arrangement. But if there's a lawsuit, Amtrak will likely be dragged into it if they have any involvement whatsoever.
As far as I know no one has gotten sick from eating Big Sky Picnic Chicken, Cold Breakfast or Cold Supper from PDX; so despite the number of Sharks who are likely circling with business cards in hands, the chances for a feeding frenzy of lawsuits are minimal.
That Wetzel's Pretzels in LA Union though...

As suggested above: maybe this portion of this thread should become its own thread - there does seem to be some enthusiasm for the topic... but I think I will quietly see if I can't successfully get a delivery at grand junction in a couple of weeks, and see how it works out... if it crashes and burns on the first try, maybe it deserves to be buried, but on the other hand, if I end up with a warm and tasty dinner... :) But I don't see how such is any different from all the people the currently buy and bring on board from the little store there at the station. Now if such expands beyond one person doing such for themself, then that might be a different story.

Let the Burrito Lady back on the Platform in ElPaso and also the Hot Dog Guy in Ft, Worth! We need more of these everywhere so folks can have a choice when it comes to food on Trains whether in Coach or Sleeper!

Maybe I'm just a little gun-shy about litigation. I know of several incidents where a person with no valid complaint has actually complained and been given a settlement of some sort so that Amtrak can avoid litigation, and not because the complaint was ever really valid. If you're the one with the deepest pockets, you'll be the likely target of a suit, and all lawyers know it. Amtrak generally is pretty careful about exposing itself to liability. Of course, I'm not the lawyer, so maybe there are factors I haven't considered.

iirc, it was around 3 months ago the wine tasting on the cs went away. the cut was announced to the public a few weeks in advance of that. there was complaining from some on this and other forums and from amtrak travelers in the general public. wouldn't a well run company have the sense to avoid the pr problem caused by ending the wine taste on the cs by announcing a seamless transition to a fee for the wine taste? for example, "announcing the improved cs wine tastings. yes, we will charge a small fee but come and see what that buys. starts april 1st". i might even participate but as it is it just looks like another boardman blunder

We LOOOVVVVED that Wetzel's Pretzels!

Let the Burrito Lady back on the Platform in ElPaso and also the Hot Dog Guy in Ft, Worth! We need more of these everywhere so folks can have a choice when it comes to food on Trains whether in Coach or Sleeper!
The hot dog guy at FTW is hit and miss. It is not Amtrak or the city who keep him away. I think it is his decision.

iirc, it was around 3 months ago the wine tasting on the cs went away. the cut was announced to the public a few weeks in advance of that. there was complaining from some on this and other forums and from amtrak travelers in the general public. wouldn't a well run company have the sense to avoid the pr problem caused by ending the wine taste on the cs by announcing a seamless transition to a fee for the wine taste? for example, "announcing the improved cs wine tastings. yes, we will charge a small fee but come and see what that buys. starts april 1st". i might even participate but as it is it just looks like another boardman blunder
The wine and cheese was cut from both the EB and LSL at the same time. Anyone heard if they might come back as paid events?

Their hot dogs always nauseate me.

Their hot dogs always nauseate me.
It's a pretzel place....so we get pretzels. Loved them.

Earlier in the 90s we did not pay a fee. The last time we participated in the wine tasting on the Coast Starlight (maybe 5 years ago), there was a fee. I seem to remember it was $5 or $10 per person. Was the fee at the Parlor Car attendant's discretion?

Earlier in the 90s we did not pay a fee. The last time we participated in the wine tasting on the Coast Starlight (maybe 5 years ago), there was a fee. I seem to remember it was $5 or $10 per person. Was the fee at the Parlor Car attendant's discretion?
a $5 fee for sleeper pax and $10 for coach was instituted 5 or 6 years ago after having no fee for a few years. the idea was that the ppc would take in enough revenue to "pay for itself". then the fee went away(about the time of the rollout of the "new" coast starlight). it was never the attendant's decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back