Woo hoo! Wine tasting resuming in the Parlour Car!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for off-train kitchens, I'm also skeptical. If it's decided that a schedule needs to be changed or a new train introduced, what happens if the contracted kitchens don't happen to be located in the right places? On-time performance would be an issue, of course.
In the countries where this is done, the trains run within minutes of schedule pretty much all the time. And food can be ordered to be picked up from pretty much any station along the route. It's just not the same environment, and I can't see any possible application to Amtrak as long as Amtrak doesn't control its own on-time performance.

Gmusial, you suggest that a good estimate can be made to predict the time a 4-hour late train will arrive. Such an estimate could easily be inaccurate by 2-6 hours or more. One adage that has proven true over the years: "Late trains get later".

By the way, this thread has changed from wine tasting to general food service. How did that happen? Maybe it needs to be re-titled or moved or something

Food Service crew not riding the whole distance brings up the same OTP issues that on shore food service brings up.

So what you are talking off is contracting out the staffing for the delivery of food service. Afterall the food service materials delivery to commissaries are already contracted out.

And where exactly do you propose to absorb the current food service staff? Do you really believe there are enough OBS slots available to absorb them without featherbedding
Is this any different from any other business re-engineering its business model / method of operation? I would expect the answer would be a one-time: buy out the contracts, and move on. But one would hope that in the end the personnel left would be those necessary and appropriate for the tasks at hand. ... not dragging a dining car around will save some money, but no longer having to pay the associated staff would also be part of the savings [also eliminating the food stuffs infrastructure and operating costs.]

Sorry, I'm a master of causing topics to drift. :) Too much holistic thinking or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea of having food service personnel work a "step-on/step-off" schedule sounds nice, but I'm skeptical about it on a practical level. The issues of on-time performance are the first stumbling block. But it would still be problematic if everything is on time. If, for example, a food service crew finishes dinner service, including post-dinner cleanup, and gets off the train at a turnaround point at 11:00 pm, what happens if the next train going the opposite direction arrives at 2:30 am? Are they expected to sleep from 11:45 till 1:45, then get up to catch the next train, then sleep from 3:00 till 5:00 am, then open the diner for breakfast at 6 am. This would still require Amtrak to have sleeping quarters for the crew on both trains, plus the turnaround point; and it would guarantee about 4 hours' INTERRUPTED sleep at the turnaround. Try working that schedule.

As for off-train kitchens, I'm also skeptical. If it's decided that a schedule needs to be changed or a new train introduced, what happens if the contracted kitchens don't happen to be located in the right places? On-time performance would be an issue, of course. Amtrak would have to have a guarantee that the kitchen can supply the food at ANY HOUIR OF THE DAY OR NIGHT. And what happens if the train picks up the food and gets underway, and then the crew discovers there is something wrong with the quantity, or quality, or the specific content of the order? It's not likely that the dispatcher would let them go back to correct it.

Greater frequency on LD routes? Don't hold your breath.

Maybe there's a way to do these things, but I haven't figured it out.
There have been comments above per the increased ridership... if that continues, either the consists will have to become longer (limited by platform lengths), or trains more frequent. ... Did the trains of Fred Harvey's era have better OTP (suspect not)... or were they able to find and implement solutions? And they had the worse situation of not knowing what people wanted, until they sat down to order... and from all accounts, they made a pretty excellent job it.

Gmusial, you suggest that a good estimate can be made to predict the time a 4-hour late train will arrive. Such an estimate could easily be inaccurate by 2-6 hours or more. One adage that has proven true over the years: "Late trains get later".

By the way, this thread has changed from wine tasting to general food service. How did that happen? Maybe it needs to be re-titled or moved or something
W/re the latter point: some forums (fori ??) embrace thread drift as part of the ecology; others are more static in their view... if the view of the overseers is that this should become a new thread, so be it; otherwise, let the discussion continue - personally I think it's a worthwhile one, and probably important to Amtrak's future... something has to be done - clearly the current "answers" aren't.

W/re predictions: if a train is 4 hours late and 4 hours out, given the database of historic performance (over a segment of track), one can probably build a pretty good likelihood model; and with train position information now better than ever (GPS/PTC etc), one should be able to have the prediction converge on actual pretty well.... besides: isn't it only the last n minutes (cooking time duration, ie, time from taking orders, to on-loading cooked meals) that's crucial?

Sorry, I'm a master of causing topics to drift. :) Too much holistic thinking or something.
As one that would rather let the conversation go where it might (conversations are dynamic entities; not answers to college exams)... I personally would rather listen to people with worthwhile things to say and to read their insights. ... let's see if the mods chop and move this.

More riders per train == more viable dining car service, as long as Amtrak doesn't do stupid things like raising the food prices way above "land" prices, or cutting quality and selection way below "land" selection.
Too late, they've already done that. The latest menu change was the final straw for me. A few years ago, meals in the dining car were something I looked forward to. Now, they're something I could care less about. A few years ago, I would have said that if Amtrak started charging sleeping car pax for dining car meals, I'd stop traveling Amtrak. Now, quality and selection has gotten so bad that I seriously consider a microwaved pizza in the cafe car, even though it would cost me money. I think Amtrak's current plan is to strip all the amenities, selections, and quality from dining car meals, so that when they finally decide to charge for meals, hardly anyone will care anymore.

Secondly... I keep hearing rumors that they're going to get rid of the Parlour Car on the CS. Why not charge for that as well? Sell wristbands or something, and allow anyone from coach or sleepers into the Parlour Car if they're willing to pay for it. If the service loses money, they cut it. If it makes money, then it might make sense to refurbish other old cars for other routes. I'd gladly pay a surcharge to sit in a dome car on the EB.

Secondly... I keep hearing rumors that they're going to get rid of the Parlour Car on the CS. Why not charge for that as well? Sell wristbands or something, and allow anyone from coach or sleepers into the Parlour Car if they're willing to pay for it. If the service loses money, they cut it. If it makes money, then it might make sense to refurbish other old cars for other routes. I'd gladly pay a surcharge to sit in a dome car on the EB.
There are severe mechanical issues with the PPCs as I recall, making them incredibly expensive to operate.

Food Service crew not riding the whole distance brings up the same OTP issues that on shore food service brings up.

So what you are talking off is contracting out the staffing for the delivery of food service. Afterall the food service materials delivery to commissaries are already contracted out.

And where exactly do you propose to absorb the current food service staff? Do you really believe there are enough OBS slots available to absorb them without featherbedding
Is this any different from any other business re-engineering its business model / method of operation? I would expect the answer would be a one-time: buy out the contracts, and move on. But one would hope that in the end the personnel left would be those necessary and appropriate for the tasks at hand. ... not dragging a dining car around will save some money, but no longer having to pay the associated staff would also be part of the savings [also eliminating the food stuffs infrastructure and operating costs.]
If Union contracts were that easy to buy out many issues at Amtrak could be fixed. Also remember that a significant proportion of Amtrak middle managers, who have to push for such for it to happen themselves maintain their union memberships, just in case. It is notoriously difficult to change such contracts. The whole food service issue on the Empire Corridor got entangled in this sort of a thing and an out of the box idea for restoring food service between Albany and New York died an early death upon the failure to negotiate an appropriate buyout settlement with the Union(s) involved.
Other than that the idea is brilliant. My understanding of the situation suggests that for several reasons it just ain't gonna work in the current context. But that of is but a minor detail that may or may not bother the proposers of new ideas that much. :p

More riders per train == more viable dining car service, as long as Amtrak doesn't do stupid things like raising the food prices way above "land" prices, or cutting quality and selection way below "land" selection.
Too late, they've already done that. The latest menu change was the final straw for me. A few years ago, meals in the dining car were something I looked forward to. Now, they're something I could care less about. A few years ago, I would have said that if Amtrak started charging sleeping car pax for dining car meals, I'd stop traveling Amtrak. Now, quality and selection has gotten so bad that I seriously consider a microwaved pizza in the cafe car, even though it would cost me money. I think Amtrak's current plan is to strip all the amenities, selections, and quality from dining car meals, so that when they finally decide to charge for meals, hardly anyone will care anymore.
agree. let's not forget they are charging for meals in the sleeper fare. have been reading through some old "trains" magzines from the 50's and 60's and what amtrak is doing sure looks like what a lot of the roads were doing in those days to downgrade and get rid of passenger service

There are severe mechanical issues with the PPCs as I recall, making them incredibly expensive to operate.
"incredibly expensive"? can't believe we would still have them if that were the case

If Union contracts were that easy to buy out many issues at Amtrak could be fixed. Also remember that a significant proportion of Amtrak middle managers, who have to push for such for it to happen themselves maintain their union memberships, just in case. It is notoriously difficult to change such contracts. The whole food service issue on the Empire Corridor got entangled in this sort of a thing and an out of the box idea for restoring food service between Albany and New York died an early death upon the failure to negotiate an appropriate buyout settlement with the Union(s) involved.
Other than that the idea is brilliant. My understanding of the situation suggests that for several reasons it just ain't gonna work in the current context. But that of is but a minor detail that may or may not bother the proposers of new ideas that much. :p
Thinking of the "taco lady" in SAS (??)... wondering if it might not be possible for a "passenger" to take the food orders (as an outside service), and arrange to have the meals delivered at least to the platform of an upcoming station, or maybe even delivered onto the train? ... sometimes one just had to think outside of the box ;-) ... yes I would imagine Amtrak would scream bloody murder... a passenger with a legit ticket, boards the train, takes the orders (or, offers an informal service to fellow passengers - this is where the taco lady thought comes in), radios (today: called cell phone) them in and gets off at the next stop; and another passenger with a legit ticket, gets on the train at that next stop, with 40 meals (40 of the exactly right meals), and only stays on the train 'til the next stop and gets off. For the CZ eastbound, something like: order taker gets on at Reno and off at Winnemucca, the food deliverer on at Winnemucca and off at Elko; or on at Winter Park; off at Denver; food on at Denver, and carrier off at Ft Morgan... or going the other way: on at Grand Junction, off at Green River; on at Green River and off at Helper... etc etc. Or, maybe one makes use of the already planned "smoking break" stops, and one simply contracts restaurants in those cities to have customer ordered meals on the platform, or as close to the platform as Amtrak will allow - simply publish numbers of restaurants willing to participate - not as convenient as having meals at nominal meal times; but would allow one to work within the existing system, ie, have a cell phone? Call this number and place your order... if you want to see the menu, this is the URL etc etc. ... but as DPR alludes to above: this last time on the CZ in May, has me now not interested in the dining car anymore - the latest changes were that step too far. ... will have to see what's possible in a couple weeks when I'm back on the CZ. :)

"incredibly expensive"? can't believe we would still have them if that were the case
In addition to what Neroden said, they were the also the pet project of Brian Rosenwald who was until recently in charge of the Western long distance trains as I recall.

Following up: in Grand Junction there is the gj food taxi - will deliver to the station for $7 8 meals (must be from the same restaurant) :) gonna have to give it a try - seems too appealing not to at least try.

i don't see $7.50 as a modest fee(especially if you then much purchase lounge car cheese and crackers). for a couple that's 30 bucks for both day's tasting without cheese and crackers. we travel on a fairly tight budget and won't be indulging
Most taking room fees at wineries are $10 - $15 that is without any cheese and crackers. So $7.50 is a bargain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the fee is the right direction. Most wineries charge a tasting fee ranging from $10 - $15 dollars but the fee is waved if you buy bottles of wine. They use the fees to prevent freeloaders or tour buses stopping by for free taste with no intention of buying. Maybe the fee waiver for purchasing a bottle can be the next step. It is not uncommon to head of to Paso Robles / Napa and spend $100 - $200 in tasting fees.

In addition to what Neroden said, they were the also the pet project of Brian Rosenwald who was until recently in charge of the Western long distance trains as I recall.
the late, lamented brian rosenwald who, as i understand it, was forced out by boardman. at least among amtrak travelers i know the ppc is a big drawing card for the cs and amtrak generally as were other rosenwald inspired amentities. i read somewhere that mr rosenwald is trying to launch some non-amtrak passenger rail scheme. good luck to him

Just to set the record straight, Rosenwald was passed over in a promotion and he chose to retire. It was sort of an indirect push, not a direct one. It is sort of like he stopped having fun any more in his job so he quit. He loved his job and usually had fun doing it. That ceased to be the case. The net result is the same either way. Amtrak's loss is Rosenwald's gain.

Just to set the record straight, Rosenwald was passed over in a promotion and he chose to retire. It was sort of an indirect push, not a direct one. It is sort of like he stopped having fun any more in his job so he quit. He loved his job and usually had fun doing it. That ceased to be the case. The net result is the same either way. Amtrak's loss is Rosenwald's gain.
in my mind, that pretty much equals being forced out

Actually, I don't really have an objection to letting the conversation flow into other areas. But if a person is looking for a discussion of solutions to Amtrak's dining car problems, he probably won't bother to look at a thread that purports to discuss resumption of wine tastings. So maybe a change of title is appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back