Woo Hoo!! AGR trip saved so much $$

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazy Z

Service Attendant
Thank you everyone for your help and posts in using AGR!

I had our trip planned and PAID $4,368 for it. Today, I used points for the beginning and ending of the trip (which cost me 80,000 points - 4,000 rebated right back in due to Chase card) and ended up paying only $956 total for our trip!

The other parts were purchased so early and got good prices, so think I will hang on to the rest of my points for another trip in the future!

Woo Hoo! Cannot wait! That $$ in going to come in handy for hotels, cabs, food & souveniers!!

Congratulations! That's what points are for.

But keep in mind that you probably paid for those points in some form or another by purchasing Amtrak tickets, spending on a credit card (points earned on one credit card is an opportunity lost for another), flying CO, or buying points outright. Now, if most of your points came from credit card sign-up bonuses or reimbursed expenses, then indeed, you're riding free!

Nevertheless, trading in 76,000 points in exchange for $3500 cash to spend on your vacation is nothing to sneeze at!

Congratulations! That's what points are for.

But keep in mind that you probably paid for those points in some form or another by purchasing Amtrak tickets, spending on a credit card (points earned on one credit card is an opportunity lost for another), flying CO, or buying points outright. Now, if most of your points came from credit card sign-up bonuses or reimbursed expenses, then indeed, you're riding free!

Nevertheless, trading in 76,000 points in exchange for $3500 cash to spend on your vacation is nothing to sneeze at!
THis is true. I did buy some points (15,000 for $275, and the same for my daughter's account), but they are still holding and we can use them for some other trip! I signed up for the credit cards and got incredible sign up bonuses! So happy!! Now I can relax the use on those credit cards and start concentrating it on my Disney Visa :)

But keep in mind that you probably paid for those points in some form or another by purchasing Amtrak tickets, spending on a credit card (points earned on one credit card is an opportunity lost for another)
Very true! But I use my AGR MC for things I would normally buy anyway - like food and gas! I have even used it to buy a cup of coffee or a newspaper!
laugh.gif
Otherwise, I'd have to use
ohmy.gif
cash
ohmy.gif
and get nothing! (I don't go shopping just to buy something to get AGR points.)

So how is it now free?
huh.gif
I'd be buying these items anyway! (And I always pay in full each month, so no interest charges either.)

Opportunity cost: charges to the AGR card are lost opportunities to charge to another card and earn potentially more lucrative bonuses, rewards, or cash back. That argument is a tough sell to this crowd, though, as AGR points are the credit card reward of choice for most of us.

Opportunity cost: charges to the AGR card are lost opportunities to charge to another card and earn potentially more lucrative bonuses, rewards, or cash back. That argument is a tough sell to this crowd, though, as AGR points are the credit card reward of choice for most of us.
Very true! Now that our trip is under control, I can start taking advantage of our Disney Rewards card. Over the years, I have paid for our annual passes and also Disney hotel stays with those points! I also use my cards for most purchases and pay it off every month. It is money I would be spending anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good point - right now I am almost exclusively using my discover card instead of my AGR card because if I spend $XXX/month on it for four months I will get a $250 cash back bonus. That is way better than the AGR points for me right now :)

Back