Wisconsin Talgos?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"OPINION: Can he derail the train?" (linked above):

NEWS BLOG (WSAU) There have been new developments regarding the somewhat-high-speed train proposal between Milwaukee and Madison. As a rail-fan, many people have asked me what I think will happen. 

I’d blogged earlier that the state had made some good decisions about the high speed train. The state was right to pick a downtown Madison location for its train station instead of a more-remote airport location. They were right to negotiate with Talgo to build the trains here. And, no, I don't think Talgo will leave if Wisconsin's project is cancelled.

Since then, the state has made a bad decision. (This is separate from whether the train project will be cancelled or not. More on that in a moment.)

That brings us to the question of whether Scott Walker will be successful at blocking the entire project. My best guess: yes and no.
Comment in response:

I think you are wrong. Hardly anyone except those who have a vested interest support the train in Madison. Even liberal Democrats. Every municipality in Dane Co. except one that had a vote voted against the train. This in county that voted 69% for Feingold.

We don't live in a true democracy. We elect representatives to make laws for us. And I don't think the majority voted the way they did because they didn't want trains. I'll bet trains was the last thing on their minds when they vote for a candidate. Many surveys taken throughout the years have proven that the general public wants more trains and I'll bet many of those vote conservative normally.

And just remember that last election day, 75% of local ballot measures on transportation passed, worth about $500 million.
Saxman,

In general I agree with what you've said. However, the one issue here is that the bulk of Mr. Walker's entire platform was "I'll kill the train." He didn't have much more that I saw in terms of plans for how he was going to do anything.

So in this one case, at least from an outsider looking in, it appears that he was elected based upon 1 of 2 things (if not both). 1) Republican's voting for a Republican; 2) People who didn't want the train.

We don't live in a true democracy. We elect representatives to make laws for us. And I don't think the majority voted the way they did because they didn't want trains. I'll bet trains was the last thing on their minds when they vote for a candidate. Many surveys taken throughout the years have proven that the general public wants more trains and I'll bet many of those vote conservative normally.

And just remember that last election day, 75% of local ballot measures on transportation passed, worth about $500 million.
Saxman,

In general I agree with what you've said. However, the one issue here is that the bulk of Mr. Walker's entire platform was "I'll kill the train." He didn't have much more that I saw in terms of plans for how he was going to do anything.

So in this one case, at least from an outsider looking in, it appears that he was elected based upon 1 of 2 things (if not both). 1) Republican's voting for a Republican; 2) People who didn't want the train.
I'm sure (2) played a role in some people's votes. However, there was also (3) a very unpopular Democratic governor who, though not on the ballot, certainly tainted voters' opinons of the Democratic candidate actually on the ballot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back