Winter Planning for Empire Builder Trips

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, wonder what will happen to today's 7 out of chi? that was to have been "our train" out of spk on saturday morning. since havre and minot are service stops, i suppose, they could turn the trains there and bus bridge between
The problem with a bus bridge might be the high winds. While the no-travel advisory is for eastern North Dakota, there is a high wind advisory in the western part that reads in part: "Motorists should be advised that extremely high winds are making travel difficult across the state, especially for high-profile vehicles such as semis, trucks, busses and SUV’s." Williston's weather forecast warns of "sustained northwest winds to 45 mph with gusts to 70 mph." Not a good day to be on the road.

Current Williston ND weather: Sunny, North wind at 18mph, temp 23--This is actually ABOVE normal for them!

It would appear #7 is being held at Minot and #8 will likely be held at Havre (currently just west of Havre). Could be a long stay for both--bummer.........

:(

BTW-It's about a 7 hour drive from Minot to Havre. The weather right now is mild and dry in MT (30's) and just cold and dry in western ND (teens), with 25+ MPH winds in Minot, certainly not anything out of the ordinary for the Hi-Line. The BNSF repair efforts may take a long time and a bus bridge may be the only option.

:(

Update: #7 scheduled to depart CHI about 2 1/2 hours late. And they are holding #7 and #8 in Minot and Havre respectively. No update at all from my BNSF contacts on the derailment. Not a good sign.

Just got word that the track should reopen around Noon Mtn time (1 PM Central time) on 1-17. I hope they bus bridge those folks, otherwise that is a 24+ hour wait-yikes!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
from TO, 7(16) is annulled and will run to msp as 807. no further word on 7 and 8 stuck on either side of the derailment. i guess the best we can hope for out of spk tomorrow night is an on-time bus to pdx.
I bet they do a bus bridge and turn them.

Folks, IMO all this is the inevitable result of a system in which private companies own the track and structures, and the rolling stock (or at least all of it except Amtrak). Most other countries don't work this way. The trend in Europe, for example, is for the gov't to own the track and structures. then franchise (via a bidding process) companies to run the trains, both freight and pax. So, If we're going to bang our heads against brick walls, maybe we should try to at least bang our heads against the same wall with the same goal in mind? No promises we'll get anywhere, But I think it might help if we left these short-term problems aside for a while and discussed long-term fundamental challenges..

Cheers, Phil

PS: Mike, many thanks for your input. You're in touch with some good people at BNSF and It's helping a lot!

Could the builder out of Minneapolis to Chicago become majorly delayed on Saturday?
At this stage of the game, yes - major delays are ALWAYS a possibility on this line.
I want to echo what WellTrained said about Mike too - I greatly appreciate the info he brings to the thread and am in no way shooting the messenger when I go off and call BNSF management a bunch of dunderheaded idiots for putting themselves into this mess.

I wonder with the EB would have all these delays if it was still operated by BNSF itself? Anyone remember it's performance under Great Northern/Burlington Northern?

I took the Empire Builders when the Great Northern ran it and while that was only two times, we were on time almost the entire length of our journey-and that was in the summer time both times! There is something to be said about "ownership" with anything. If you "own" something you tend to take much more interest and pride in making things work well.

A do agree with RyanS though, that given the current state of the BNSF mess on the Hi-Line I wouldn't expect much change in the EB's status......

I am going to Reno again this year in late March. USBC Open bowling tournament. I have already booked my return trip (RNO-SAC-PDX-MSP) with roomette for the PDX-MSP segment. I am very leery of booking the out bound on the outbound portion the same way due to all the problems on the EB as of right now. I have no leeway in my time off to depend on a timely trip westward. But plenty of time for the eastbound half. So it's looking like Mega Bus to Chicago over night and the CZ, CHI-RNO, with roomette. Either way it will be fun...first time on the CS and EB.

The HI hostel is a good cheap safe place to spend overnight in Chicago. It is on Congress not too far from the lake.

Even if the CZ is late getting out of Denver, there is enough cushion time built in at SLC that you should be right on time into RNO. I was on the westbound CZ on Dec. 17-18.

When you get to Sacramento, put your bags on "hold" at the baggage area and then wander down to the California Railroad Museum in Old Town Sacramento. Stay until closing and then find a good meal in Old Town. Be back to the station by 10PM to wait for the CS. Hopefuly at midnight

Thanks for the info Tom. I guess I could have worded it better about the Mega Bus ($5 to Chi), I catch it at midnight in St. Paul and arrive in Chicago at 8:30 or so with drop off right at Union Station. Saves me a vacation day and money. I have checked about the Hostel and it was going to be my option until I found the overnight bus.

I did ride the CZ last year (Ott-Rno round trip) and really enjoyed it. So I am looking forward to the whole route with a roomette to Reno. Also thanks for the info about SAC. Was kind of wondering about what to do with my time there.

Does anyone know what has happened to #7(18)? It was actually doing pretty good, and just went into Service Disruption. Track a train shows it is still heading west though.

:-(

Last edited by a moderator:
Update; I see #7(18) is running thru ND on the Surrey cutoff and NOT the usual route. I wonder it this means BNSF has had another "challenge" on the other route or are they still running west bound trains on this route and eastbound thru Devil's Lake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back