Will I get any miles for this?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLOND37

OBS Chief
ON 12/20 I WILL BE TAKING A ROUND TRIP FROM PROV RI TO NY PENN. THE COST OF THE TRIP IS $130. I WILL BE PAYING $50 WITH A AMTRAK VOUCHER, AND $80 MYSELF. WILL I GET ANY MILES FOR THIS?

You'll get points for both legs of the RT, how many will be determined by the breakdown for each leg. If you paid the same for both legs, then you'd earn 260 points. But the use of the voucher does not stop you from getting points.

You'll get points for both legs of the RT, how many will be determined by the breakdown for each leg. If you paid the same for both legs, then you'd earn 260 points. But the use of the voucher does not stop you from getting points.

wouldnt i only get 80 points...?

Again my AGR knowledge is pathetic but I am reading the forum here and getting better at it. So you get AGR points for things paid for with a voucher even if its completely paid for with a voucher? If so would they be rail points or bonus points?

Any fare paid with a voucher is essentially the same as if you paid the fare with cash or with a credit card. So if the fare was $130 but you paid $50 of it with a voucher, you still paid $130 for the ticket(s). (I doubt the ticket agent would give you tickets worth $130 when you only paid him or her $80! The voucher is the same as a check written for $50!)

So you will receive AGR credit for the full $130 value! B) And they would all be rail points. (Unless it is double or triple points or such.)

Last edited by a moderator:

wouldnt i only get 80 points...?
Nope, the voucher is like handing the agent cash. They have no way to know how you paid for the reservation, only that you paid $130. So therefore you gets points based upon that, unless like I menitioned earlier you somehow got one leg for under $50, in which case you'd get 100 points for that leg and 2 X $ for the other.

Again my AGR knowledge is pathetic but I am reading the forum here and getting better at it. So you get AGR points for things paid for with a voucher even if its completely paid for with a voucher? If so would they be rail points or bonus points?
Rail points, as the voucher is considered a cash payment.

As a word of warning, though, keep the ticket stub and keep an eye on your AGR account after you travel. I was told by an AGR representative a few years ago that tickets purchased with vouchers/travel certificates tend not to post automatically, and you have to call AGR up a few weeks later and get them to manually post the points to your account.

Since then, it has been my experience that I have had to do this with each ticket I bought with a voucher.

Back