Why lock threads?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do diabetics keep their insulin refrigerated? Do they refill a cooler with ice from the sleepers? What if they're riding in Coach and don't have access to ice?

How do diabetics keep their insulin refrigerated? Do they refill a cooler with ice from the sleepers? What if they're riding in Coach and don't have access to ice?
The cafe car provides ice.

A microwave provided in coach may be a revenue problem, but not for anyone in a sleeper car where their meals are included. Even then, how often do we read how the train runs out of food to sell!

Can you imagine the howl from rep Mica if Amtrak tried to buy microwaves and fridges? And where could you find the space for them in a roomette?
All indications are that John Mica is probably going to howl about Amtrak no matter what Amtrak does or does not do.

I was making a veiled reference to the responses to that thread which bordered on hysterical, not on the lack of progress with sleeper amenities, with which I agree.
Roger that.

Providing microwaves and fridges for people bringing their own food on board is not a very good business decision, selling them food on board makes more sense. Even Rep. Mica would agree with that. (Of course the food sales would have to be profitable).
What I've seen from Mica's side implies that anything more elaborate than vending machines is probably too much overhead for him to endorse longterm. Frankly I think Mica would be thrilled at the idea of providing microwaves and refrigerators and making the whole thing self service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen several posts about people pre mixing coctails or beer to drink in coach which is also a violation of the rules, but apparently one that is acceptable to break. It is an amtrak rule and breaking it should have the same consequences. Also a number of people think it is acceptable to rotate family members through a sleeper, and greasing the palms of the SCA to allow this to go on.

These are all breaking the rules, yet seem to be acceptable by forum majority.
Just because some people break certain rules and get away with it doesn't mean it's okay to do so. How could all of the rules possibly be enforced? Rules Police stationed in each car?
jb
My comment was in regards to the forum. If the post was removed because it contained rule breaking propaganda, why is that same litmus test not given to the other rules that are by popular opinion, on the forums, not only acceptable to break, but encouraged.
Buddy,

Again, it was removed for several reasons; not just the fact that it advocated breaking the rules. It contributed nothing of value to the topic and it revived a 1 year old topic without adding value.

Plus since smoking impacts the well being of others, and I grant that the jury is still out on Ecigs, we tend to give that less of a pass than other items like hiding liquor or too much luggage. Throw on top of all of that the fact that smoking topics in general seem to devolve into heated discussions.

I have seen several posts about people pre mixing coctails or beer to drink in coach which is also a violation of the rules, but apparently one that is acceptable to break. It is an amtrak rule and breaking it should have the same consequences. Also a number of people think it is acceptable to rotate family members through a sleeper, and greasing the palms of the SCA to allow this to go on.

These are all breaking the rules, yet seem to be acceptable by forum majority.
Just because some people break certain rules and get away with it doesn't mean it's okay to do so. How could all of the rules possibly be enforced? Rules Police stationed in each car?
jb
My comment was in regards to the forum. If the post was removed because it contained rule breaking propaganda, why is that same litmus test not given to the other rules that are by popular opinion, on the forums, not only acceptable to break, but encouraged.
Buddy,

Again, it was removed for several reasons; not just the fact that it advocated breaking the rules. It contributed nothing of value to the topic and it revived a 1 year old topic without adding value.

Plus since smoking impacts the well being of others, and I grant that the jury is still out on Ecigs, we tend to give that less of a pass than other items like hiding liquor or too much luggage. Throw on top of all of that the fact that smoking topics in general seem to devolve into heated discussions.
In an emergency, excess carry on baggage stored in vestibules will not only harm others well being, it will more than likely kill them.

Yes, but it's not the passengers' direct violation of rules that the luggage is stored there. That's a space issue. Talking about smoking an e-cig in your room or restroom because "screw the rules" is wildly different than not having space for the allowable number of carry-ons.

Buddy,

In an emergency, excess carry on baggage stored in vestibules will not only harm others well being, it will more than likely kill them.
Buddy,

In that type of an emergency, you're going to be going out the windows anyhow; not the vestibule. Furthermore, it wasn't the passenger that chose to put their bags there in direct violation of any rules that might exist.

Besides, you're just nitpicking here. As I've stated; it wasn't just one specific reason, it was the combined multiple reasons. You can't just whittle this down to one item at at time and try to make sense of it.

Show me an Amtrak derailment where baggage in the vestibule killed someone, or where someone would have been killed if baggage had been stored in the vestibule. You've got plenty to choose from.

I'm going to bring lots of dangerous luggage with me and use it to intentionally clog up the vestibules because I'm special and the rules don't apply to me.

:ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to bring lots of dangerous luggage with me and use it to intentionally clog up the vestibules because I'm special and the rules don't apply to me.

While smoking an e-cig?
OK guys, you have made your point with some humor. We know you aren't serious, but it is time to get back to the original topic. Any further posts of this nature will be removed.

Thanks

There are times when you contribute valuable information; as well as occasions where you are actually an effective Devil's Advocate.

And then there are times like this............

I think you may have read a bit too much into that post. It was just a random sarcastic joke and nothing more. That's why I added the smiley guy, which for me is a dead giveaway that I'm not being serious. I've been sick for days and haven't slept in 24 hours, so maybe I did a poor job of delivery, but at least Ryan seemed to get where I was going with this. Nobody can be serious all the time, or at least I can't.

I think you may have read a bit too much into that post. It was just a random sarcastic joke and nothing more. That's why I added the smiley guy, which for me is a dead giveaway that I'm not being serious. I've been sick for days and haven't slept in 24 hours, so maybe I did a poor job of delivery, but at least Ryan seemed to get where I was going with this. Nobody can be serious all the time, or at least I can't.
No, we got the joke. But we're afraid that not everyone will.

And for future reference; this :lol: would IMHO have been a better smiley to use to help indicate that it was a joke.

Sorry that you're under the weather! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back