Why is Provisioning of 79 Different Than 91?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a state supported train, NCDOT has certain things they want for 79/80. They have input on everything from consist size and staffing to menus so I suppose the choice of beverages is also in their control. Meanwhile, 91 comes out of the national network.

Yes, the Carolinian is partially funded by NCDOT. I personally don't know if that makes a difference. I was also wondering whether the Carolinian is also supplied in Charlotte and the Star in Miami. Maybe that has something to do with it. Or is all provisioning of those two trains done in Sunnyside?

jb

79/80 always seems at capacity. Based on Thirdrail's comment, I'm guessing there's not enough subsidy to add more capacity.

Yes, the Carolinian is partially funded by NCDOT. I personally don't know if that makes a difference. I was also wondering whether the Carolinian is also supplied in Charlotte and the Star in Miami. Maybe that has something to do with it. Or is all provisioning of those two trains done in Sunnyside?

jb
State supported services usually means the states can call the shots. I don't know the details when it comes to percentages. In other words, the Lynchburger and the Night Owl are state supported services SOUTH of Washington DC. Passengers boarding at any point and traveling south of WAS are considered passengers of the state supported service. North of Washington DC, it is not considered state supported and falls into the national network (specifically, the NEC service group.) In a case like that, I'm not sure who calls what shots. I would think they just base their decisions largely upon what the state requests.

Another example is the Ethan Allen. New York and Vermont contribute to the operation of the train. One state pays more than the other so I don't know if one state gets "more say" and what happens if the two states are in conflict. An example is New York may have Coke products as the official beverage while Vermont may have Pepsi products as their official beverages.

In any rate, none of that has to do with the Carolinian. It is supplied in Sunnyside and turns in CLT. 91 is supplied in Sunnyside and 92 is supplied in Miami.

The size of the consist is maxed out because of the length of the storage track where the train sits overnight in Charlotte. Someday when the new maintenance facilities are available, that would remove the restriction.

jb

Empire Service trains also turn and get supplied in SSYD, but they get some NYS specific items on the trains that go further than Albany and have food service along with the regular menu items. That started recently.

91's cafe car carries Mug rootbeer. 79's does not. Why not? Aren't they both resupplied in Sunnyside?

jb
I had the same question on the Missouri River Runner trains a few years ago. The lounge attendant said because it was a state route some of the products are different than the LD trains. Think the Downeaster falls into a similar category.

The Business Class experience on the Carolinian is also very different from the run of the mill Business Class.

If you look at the total number of hours (rounded up to the next hour) for the run with passengers on board between provisioning points ...

79-80: ~27 hours

89-90: ~31 hours

91-92: ~32 hours

97-98: ~28 hours

Last edited by a moderator:
State supported services usually means the states can call the shots. I don't know the details when it comes to percentages. In other words, the Lynchburger and the Night Owl are state supported services SOUTH of Washington DC. Passengers boarding at any point and traveling south of WAS are considered passengers of the state supported service. North of Washington DC, it is not considered state supported and falls into the national network (specifically, the NEC service group.) In a case like that, I'm not sure who calls what shots. I would think they just base their decisions largely upon what the state requests.
The Night Owl? Did we just step into a time-warp? :)

The name has been dropped from the timecard, but 66/67 still runs...

jb
In any rate, none of that has to do with the Carolinian. It is supplied in Sunnyside and turns in CLT. 91 is supplied in Sunnyside and 92 is supplied in Miami.
The York Street Market fresh food (salads, sandwiches and wraps) on 91/92 are loaded in Sunnyside for the roundtrip. Miami tops up the shared items carried on the Meteor and Star (snacks, beverages, pizza, comfort kits, etc.)

The name has been dropped from the timecard, but 66/67 still runs...
My point exactly.

In fact it has had multiple names over the years and various incarnations. (and don't forget train 65 ;-)

Back