Why booked for later train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy Z

Service Attendant
Just going over our itinerary and noticed that we have a close to 7 hour layover in WAS. When I checked online, I see there is another choice and I am curious why the agent would not have booked that one instead? Any ideas?

We are booked on the SIlver Meteor, in a bedroom. Any experience on either one of these?

This is what we have booked:

97 SIlver Meteor

17H 25M

Dep WAS Tues, 6/19/12 7:30pm

Arr ORL Weds, 6/20/12 12:55pm

Bedroom (Amsnag shows $784)

Why not this one:

91 Silver Star

19H, 7M

Dep WAS Tues, 6/19/12 3:00pm

Arr ORL Weds, 6/20/12 10:17am

Bedroom (Amsnag shows $518)

You don't say where you're connecting from or what time you are scheduled to arrive in WAS, but my guess is the connection to the later train it is because of on-time performance issues of the train you're connecting from. To guarantee you actually make it into WAS to make your connection safely, the only valid connection according to Amtrak's reservation system is for the later departure.

Take advantage of exploring Washington . . . Union Station is right where you want to be for touring and there are guided tours that leave right from the station.

The later departure is actualy a shorter routing as well.

Just going over our itinerary and noticed that we have a close to 7 hour layover in WAS. When I checked online, I see there is another choice and I am curious why the agent would not have booked that one instead? Any ideas?

We are booked on the SIlver Meteor, in a bedroom. Any experience on either one of these?

97 SIlver Meteor

17H 25M

Why not this one:

91 Silver Star

19H, 7M

If you are arriving on the CL Amtrak will not allow a Guaranteed Connection to the Silver Star even though there is 2+ Hour layover between Trains! You didnt indicate if you are doing a paid rez or its AGR, but if you are paying and want to risk missing your connection, you can do this as two seperate reservations! If you are coming into WAS on a regional or the Crescent dont understand why they booked you this way, Id call and ask ASAP before the cheaper bucket on the Star is gone!

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't say where you're connecting from or what time you are scheduled to arrive in WAS, but my guess is the connection to the later train it is because of on-time performance issues of the train you're connecting from. To guarantee you actually make it into WAS to make your connection safely, the only valid connection according to Amtrak's reservation system is for the later departure. Oops, sorry - meant to mention where I was coming from! Capitol Ltd from Chicago :)

Take advantage of exploring Washington . . . Union Station is right where you want to be for touring and there are guided tours that leave right from the station. We will be staying 2 nights in DC on the way back, too :)

The later departure is actualy a shorter routing as well. True, but it would be nice to get to Orlando those 3 hours earlier!!

Thanks for the info!

97 SIlver Meteor

17H 25M

Why not this one:

91 Silver Star

19H, 7M

If you are arriving on the CL Amtrak will not allow a Guaranteed Connection to the Silver Star even though there is 2+ Hour layover between Trains! You didnt indicate if you are doing a paid rez or its AGR, but if you are paying and want to risk missing your connection, you can do this as two seperate reservations! If you are coming into WAS on a regional or the Crescent dont understand why they booked you this way, Id call and ask ASAP before the cheaper bucket on the Star is gone!

Oh, do not want to risk missing it AT ALL. It will be my daughter's bday and our goal is to get to Orlando that day! Hopefully everything will turn out. Maybe I can check when we get there and change that day? It is not really that important, we can keep ourselves entertained in WAS, but would really love to get into ORl a few hours earlier to get started on our Disney vacation!! Thanks for the info/insights!

I live in Orlando and often am on the CL on the way home from a trip. I have never been allowed to book the Star, only the Meteor. Amtrak will allow (from what I have heard) pax to connect from the CL to the Star if they are connecting with a thruway bus in Jax (to Gainesville, for example).

For what it's worth - you'll likely have a smoother ride on the Silver Meteor as opposed to the Silver Star. The Silver Meteor is on the CSX 'A' line through the Carolinas. It's busier, better maintained, and has lighter grades and shallower curves.

I live in Orlando and often am on the CL on the way home from a trip. I have never been allowed to book the Star, only the Meteor. Amtrak will allow (from what I have heard) pax to connect from the CL to the Star if they are connecting with a thruway bus in Jax (to Gainesville, for example).
hmmm.. learning as I go along!

For what it's worth - you'll likely have a smoother ride on the Silver Meteor as opposed to the Silver Star. The Silver Meteor is on the CSX 'A' line through the Carolinas. It's busier, better maintained, and has lighter grades and shallower curves.
You know, I am just learning and I did not even realize it was a different route at all. Figured the duration distance had to do with longer stops or something! Thank you for the info!

Actually I think that the Star is quite a bit more scenic, since it departs in daylight.... if you can change your ticket in DC. Maybe try to get a BR on the Star once you arrive at DC,,. By leaving at 3 PM (in Daylight) - you will ride along the west bank of the Potomac near Mount Vernon, then hit Old Town Fredericksburg, then right down Railroad Ave. in picturesque Ashland, VA. Then over the very high and long viaduct in Richmond - crossing the James River. Then you will cross the Appomattox River (high single track steel bridge), and enter wonderful Southside Virginia - which I love. You start to see old tobacco farms (nice). You should have daylight all the way into North Carolina. Then cross the Roanoke River and enter into Weldon, NC. There you can see the old Seaboard main line to Portsmouth VA (from Raleigh).

Anyway - the 3 PM departure is what makes it more scenic. At 7:30 it will be getting dark when the Meteor departs (no scenery). Plus on the Star you arrive earlier in ORL. The Star is a great train for us folks in Richmond, DC, Raleigh, etc.. The Meteor seems to me to be better suited for passengers in New York City, NJ and Philadelphia - as well as Miami and West Palm. It's the perfect NY to MIA train. Departs NYC at like 3:15 PM or so.... But hits DC and Richmond rather late, and skips Raleigh (and Tampa) for a more direct route... Although it certainly makes sense. It's like the express to Miami.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back