Who's next?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebert

Train Attendant
Now that there's enough rebuilt Superliners to equip one train with upgraded equipment, what LD train do you think should get the Builder Treatment next? At first I thought that it should be the Starlight to maintain the train's status as Amtrak's premiere train. Also the Starlight's equipment is pretty well shielded from being mixed with any other long distance trains. Then I got to thinking that the Superliner 1s are in much more need to an overhaul, and the Superliner 2s dominate the starlight. In that case, maybe it should be the City of New Orleans. Afterall the train only uses 3 train sets. Anyway, I'm out of time for writing my thoughts out, but I'm interested to hear what yours are...

-Firebert

I was on the Texas Eagle in June (DAL to CHI), which had all the listed EB changes including the new blue and white sleeper car interiors, nice toilets and showers, and the sparkling wine, etc. Stunned and worried that I had died and was on the train in an alternate universe, I asked the crew what was going on. I was informed that it was all a “test.”

I’ve been on the Texas Eagle three times since the surprise treat; it was back to the old style. Bummer.

I think they chose the EB because it has alot of history to it, and it still runs! If I had to guess, I suppose it would be the California Zephyr for it pretty much follows the transcontinental railroad which was finished in 1869. Now my biased opionion would go for the Texas Eagle as well, because I frequent that route, and I think it needs some services added.

Steve4031 said:
And then (I know I'm dreaming) . . . a single level rebuilt train with upgaded service on the Three river's route called the Broadway Limited.
That would be great, if only we had enough equipment for that route (sleepers, diner, etc.). :rolleyes: :D

From what I have heard, the California Zephyr was supposed to be the "premiere" train to be relaunched with new equipment. However, something happened (I don't know what), and it went to the Empire Builder instead.

It might have something to do with UP vs. BNSF, or perhaps with crewing issues (from what I understand, Amtrak is removing the Chicago-based crews from the Builder, and everything, including the Portland section, will be Seattle-based).

bmlock said:
While we're dreaming here, how about doing the CZ with a resurrected Desert Wind. Glitz and Vegas they go together.
That would be nice. Didn't Amtrak once split the CZ twice? A big long train went from CHI to Denver, some cars split and went to Portland via Boise as the Pioneer. It again split in Salt Lake City, and some cars went to Vegas and LA as the Desert Wind. It could be the premier train of the West.

To add to the services, I think the cars should have some cool paint schemes. Kinda like the P42's have now. Yes I'm dreaming but anyone who saw the sleek looking train cars blocking the grade crossings, might think twice about wanting to take a train.

saxman66 said:
bmlock said:
While we're dreaming here, how about doing the CZ with a resurrected Desert Wind.  Glitz and Vegas they go together.
That would be nice. Didn't Amtrak once split the CZ twice? A big long train went from CHI to Denver, some cars split and went to Portland via Boise as the Pioneer. It again split in Salt Lake City, and some cars went to Vegas and LA as the Desert Wind. It could be the premier train of the West.

To add to the services, I think the cars should have some cool paint schemes. Kinda like the P42's have now. Yes I'm dreaming but anyone who saw the sleek looking train cars blocking the grade crossings, might think twice about wanting to take a train.

saxmann66. The long history of trains along the route you mention is complicated and there have been several versions about routing, days of operation, etc. I do believe the version you mention did indeed happen exactly the way you described for a time. That would be with a split in Denver, the CZ going through Wyoming while the LA and Portland trains stayed together until Salt Lake City.

The CZ did, for a definate fact, at one or more times travel through Wyoming rather than through the Rockies, and that as a regular route, not only as a temporary re-routing. Whether it did so in conjunciton with the Desert Wind and the Pioneer as stated above I am not 100% sure, but probably so. Almost any scenerio you can think of for three routes has probably happened at one time or another.

However, I do know for a fact that there was also a period when all three trains stayed together until Salt Lake City and then broke up three ways from there. In fact I have been on it. There are some 1986 shots of it on Viewliners web page, click on "photos" and then click on "Amtrak" and then "stations and other", scroll down, and you will see a nice very long train gliding through the canyons, en route to a split at Salt Lake City to SF, LA and Portland.

If I remember correctly, when I left Air Force tech school and went to my first duty station in Washington state via Amtrak. I stopped in Oxnard, Ca to visit my mom which had me on the Desert Wind out of Chicago to LA (from Rantoul, IL). Anyway (my memory says) that the CZ and the Desert Wind where one train to SLC where it split. We went through the rockies and that was in 1991.

I left Air Force tech school and went to my first duty station
You’re young! I went to AF Tech School in 1960. But now that you mention it I did ride a train from San Antonio to Denver after Basic Training. I had a berth, I remember, but not much else about that ride. Anyone hazard a guess which RR I might have ridden in '60? Maybe it will bring back a memory if I knew.

I know many of you are real CZ fans and I have ridden it many times. But why should Amtrak refurbish a train that has as miserable time performance. I have an idea that many of those who travel the CZ will never travel it agian, although I don't know that for sure. It is so habitually late (7 hours tonight, late enough that connecting passengers probably won't even be able to find a hotel room, let alone a connection) why should it be. I don't know why the train (usually eastbound) is delayed to the extent it is.

Now the Southwest Chief, there is a train that could benifit from an upgrade, first class passengers could dine in the turquoise room and have some dedicated warbonnetts provide the power.

Hey, why don't we bring some of these amenities to the east first, on a single-level train that doesn't have the perks of a Superliner? It's bad enough that trains in the west/midwest have gotten two fleets of Superliners already before we've had anything of that sort here (beyond Viewliner Sleepers/and I guess you could say Amfleet II, even though I mean interms of one uniform fleet). I think we should add a little fun to the tired equipment in the east, offer some of the perks the Builder is getting in either the Diner or the Lounge when it's the right time. Even though I'm partial to Silver Service, I think a better candidate would be the Crescent since it has a decent shot with OTP, being that it runs on NS and not CSX for the most part. The only excuse you really have for waiting in the east is waiting until the Heritage Replacements arrive, but that would be a few years away and that's a little too long to neglect the east.

Viewliner said:
Hey, why don't we bring some of these amenities to the east first, on a single-level train that doesn't have the perks of a Superliner? It's bad enough that trains in the west/midwest have gotten two fleets of Superliners already before we've had anything of that sort here (beyond Viewliner Sleepers/and I guess you could say Amfleet II, even though I mean interms of one uniform fleet). I think we should add a little fun to the tired equipment in the east, offer some of the perks the Builder is getting in either the Diner or the Lounge when it's the right time. Even though I'm partial to Silver Service, I think a better candidate would be the Crescent since it has a decent shot with OTP, being that it runs on NS and not CSX for the most part. The only excuse you really have for waiting in the east is waiting until the Heritage Replacements arrive, but that would be a few years away and that's a little too long to neglect the east.
Wow!! I was wondering if anyone was thinking about us over here on poor little ole' "Silver Service!" :blink:

OBS... :lol: :D

Viewliner said:
I was thinking the same thing myself. It seems like the eastern long distance trains are not being given any of the enhancements.

Midland Valley said:
Make the Cardinal a real class act that runs 7 instead of 3 days a week. Id buy into that!
Amen, if only we could scrape up a few diners then the Cardinal would be set. I agree though, if the Cardinal were a daily train then it would definitely be a route that should get these enhancements early, it definitely has the scenery, but hopefully with the Heritage replacement order, it'll also be an expansion to allow the Cardinal (maybe even a revived Broadway Limited down the road) to operate daily with a full diner.

Viewliner said:
Midland Valley said:
Make the Cardinal a real class act that runs 7 instead of 3 days a week.  Id buy into that!
Amen, if only we could scrape up a few diners then the Cardinal would be set. I agree though, if the Cardinal were a daily train then it would definitely be a route that should get these enhancements early, it definitely has the scenery, but hopefully with the Heritage replacement order, it'll also be an expansion to allow the Cardinal (maybe even a revived Broadway Limited down the road) to operate daily with a full diner.
As I have said in the past make it a Superliner Train.

Concest

1 P42

1 Baggage

1 Trans Sleeper

1-2 Sleeper

1 Diner

1 Lounge

3 Coaches

AmtrakFan said:
If the Cardinal goes back to Superline it will have to truncate at DC and lose direct service to New York.

I have an alternate suggestion: have the first release of new Viewliner Sleepers and Diners go to the Cardinal in time to make it a daily train. Such a move would move it into the limelight and perfect its existence.

Maybe while we're at it, find a faster route from northern Indiana into Chicago!

MrFSS said:
You’re young!  I went to AF Tech School in 1960.  But now that you mention it I did ride a train from San Antonio to Denver after Basic Training.  I had a berth, I remember, but not much else about that ride.  Anyone hazard a guess which RR I might have ridden in '60?   Maybe it will bring back a memory if I knew.
Fort Worth and Denver's Texas Zephyr?

lepearso said:
AmtrakFan said:
If the Cardinal goes back to Superline it will have to truncate at DC and lose direct service to New York.

I have an alternate suggestion: have the first release of new Viewliner Sleepers and Diners go to the Cardinal in time to make it a daily train. Such a move would move it into the limelight and perfect its existence.
At least with the Suprliners, you could maybe see the new river through all the brush CSX lets grow along the track. Maybe they have cleared it lately. But your right, it needs to remain a CHI-NYP train.

Midland Valley said:
At least with the Suprliners, you could maybe see the new river through all the brush CSX lets grow along the track.  Maybe they have cleared it lately.  But your right, it needs to remain a CHI-NYP train.
In my neck of the woods, CSX has managed to get either a weed burner or weed sprayer along the track. I did see my local highway department out cutting the brush along the tracks, presumably so trains could be seen at grade crossings.

Anyway, to keep this on topic, I'd like to see the Capitol Limited get a rehab, if we're talking about Superliners. If we're talking about Viewliners, the Florida routes should get priority, but I confess I'd like to see the Cardinal get a diner back.

Back