Who in the world are you?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would also like to add. If someone doesn't like what I have to say, please feel free to ignore my posts. I will do the same, not out of retaliation but because life is too short for me to want to waste time interacting with hostile people. If someone finds me hostile, they couldn't be farther from the truth, but they are certainly free to use the ignore feature as well.

Aloha

It took me a while to find what you may be referring to. However nothing I saw suggest to me that anyone said or meant your opinions were unwelcome.

With all due respect to everyone involved (including me) I think that to follow the "high road" here, the forum, and all of us, are best served by letting this one go completely.

Peace to you all.

michigan mom is not the one who is hanging on to this.

if u all were sincere, u would stop replying.

Hello one and all, I have been a beneficiary of this forum for a number of years and I just wanted to say thanks. I finally joined today because you really do seem like family, and though I am not a "Joiner" naturally, I figured if I can handle facebook, this would be a piece of cake. I have trains on both branches of the family tree...in fact, they may have used the tree to make the ties. ATSF, CNW and Milwaukee Road. I'm not sure about the great-grandparents, but probably there, too. Looking forward to continued enjoyment and knowledge from this site.

Thanks, John

Welcome John. I'm not much of a joiner either, but felt very welcome by AUers. In fact, I've met a few of them in person and am still here. :p

thanks Blue, what made me decide to join is the obvious comradarie among the members. There is a fair amount of ribbing, which I whole heartedly approve, and a minimum of whining, which is also great. But most of all, there seems to be an underlying concern for everyone on this site, whether it's to help ensure everyone's enjoyment of their commute, SD or LD trip, or to support them through a personal struggle. That's a nice team to be a part of...

thanks Blue, what made me decide to join is the obvious comradarie among the members. There is a fair amount of ribbing, which I whole heartedly approve, and a minimum of whining, which is also great. But most of all, there seems to be an underlying concern for everyone on this site, whether it's to help ensure everyone's enjoyment of their commute, SD or LD trip, or to support them through a personal struggle. That's a nice team to be a part of...
Sorry, still getting the hang of this. I forgot to sign in before posting the above message. John

Sorry, still getting the hang of this. I forgot to sign in before posting the above message. John
It happens.

I hope you will consider joining the Sunday evening chats (I just started joining in those a few weeks ago though I've been a member of AU since 2011). And also think about attending the annual gathering in October. This year's gathering will be in Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night I was reading Jaron Lanier's first book, You Are Not a Gadget. He makes a big deal out of the insidious negative influence of anonymity on the internet. So I was thinking of changing my user name on this forum to my more customary appellation. City of Miami is a puzzlement to most people and serves no discernible purpose. AFAIK I don't have anything to hide :ph34r: . Using my real name might have a subtle influence on my posts....I dunno.....could be interesting.

What do you think? Why do you use an assumed ID? What do you think of Lanier's [as I understand it] thesis that anonymity augments the fragmentation and individuation and isolation of today's society?

John: Interesting Post! Ive always used my Real Name on the Internet since I too have nothing to hide! In the case of Females, I understand the Danger that using their Real Name On-line Poses! It's Understandable Why People use Avatars and Pseudonyms that have Meaning to them on "Buff" sites like this! Since we are a Passenger Train Forum, I rather like lots of the Names that are used here including yours, The City of Miami sounds like a Streamliner to me! :cool: In my case the Name I tried to use when I joined AU was already taken!(I didnt want to be Texas Eagle#2 :giggle: ) I notice that on Lots of Sites, especially On-line Dating Sites, that you see stuff like Susie4 , Texas Cutie#10 etc etc. Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if I used my name, it might confuse people and there would be lots of "hits" to the site via search engines. :giggle:

Hi new here. Been lurking for several months. I've travelled commuter routes (up and down West coast) on trains before and in Europe but taking my first cross country trip with my family in a week.

I'm guessing that the TARDIS might be in for extensive repairs :p Still, nothing wrong with the train sometimes :)

My user name comes from a now defunct ferry brand called Sealink. They were owned by British Rail back in the day.

And Sealink ferries took me away from home and over to the middle of the Scottish Highlands - with a train journey on either side.
So fond fond memories.
I'm 40 now - and I am delighted that some of those ferries I travelled on still see service somewhere in the world.

I live in Crystal Palace in London, a suburb steeped in history thanks to the palace that gave the area it's name.
As well as the Crystal Palace, my flat is built on top of a disused railway tunnel, which now provides a warm and safe home for bats, and there's also remains of one of the worlds only pneumatic railways - somewhere around here!

Back