Who in the world are you?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings,

My name is Elizabeth. I hail from Seattle, Washington but my husband and I are currently living in rural Mpumalanga, South Afica. We are Peace Corps South Africa education volunteers and we will be serving until September 2014. I teach grade 8 science ad my husband teaches grade 8 math.

I love trains and the idea of train travel. I have only ridden Amtrak once, though, about 10 years ago. I took the Empire Builder and Lakeshore Limited from Seattle, WA to Erie, PA. I booked a bedroom and loved every minute of my trip. I thought the meals were great and I loved meeting new people. I slept like a baby on the train, too.

Currently, I have three train trips planned. Next week my husband and I are traveling from Johannesburg to Durban on the Shosholoza Meyl in a tourist class coupe. October 2014, we will be flying down to Disneyland and then will take the Coast Starlight back to Seattle in a roomette. Riding the Coast Starlight has been a dream of mine for years! I am so looking forward to it. In the spring of the following year, I am planning a trip across Canada -- we'll take the Cascades to Vancouver, and then VIA rail to Montreal via Toronto, where we'll spend a few days. Then we'll take the Amtrak Adirondack train to NYC for a couple days, and catch a cheap flight back to Seattle.

Can you ever look at the train's engine or talk to an engineer before the train departs?

Looking forward to learning the ins and outs of train travel on this forum.

Welcome!

Can you ever look at the train's engine or talk to an engineer before the train departs?
Not easily. If you see (and know that (s)he is the engineer before they board the locomotive at a crew change point), you could talk to them, possibly. But note that unlike in the old days, the engineer wears street clothes, so they may look like any other passengers . When they're refueling the train at stops, there are signs for passengers not to go forward of this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of times @ the Crew Change Points away from Major Stations (ie Austin is an Example) a Van shuttles the Crews to/from their Motel and the Engineers, as was said, will be in Street Clothes but they usually have their Amtral ID around their neck and are carrying a Back Pack or Luggage! I know most of the Engineers that Operate between SAS and AUS and FTW and talk with them often as the Eagle is Generally Late into Austin! Most of the Engineers Ive talked with Started with Freight and Switched to Amtrak!

Greetings,
My name is Elizabeth. I hail from Seattle, Washington but my husband and I are currently living in rural Mpumalanga, South Afica. We are Peace Corps South Africa education volunteers and we will be serving until September 2014. I teach grade 8 science ad my husband teaches grade 8 math.

I love trains and the idea of train travel. I have only ridden Amtrak once, though, about 10 years ago. I took the Empire Builder and Lakeshore Limited from Seattle, WA to Erie, PA. I booked a bedroom and loved every minute of my trip. I thought the meals were great and I loved meeting new people. I slept like a baby on the train, too.

Currently, I have three train trips planned. Next week my husband and I are traveling from Johannesburg to Durban on the Shosholoza Meyl in a tourist class coupe. October 2014, we will be flying down to Disneyland and then will take the Coast Starlight back to Seattle in a roomette. Riding the Coast Starlight has been a dream of mine for years! I am so looking forward to it. In the spring of the following year, I am planning a trip across Canada -- we'll take the Cascades to Vancouver, and then VIA rail to Montreal via Toronto, where we'll spend a few days. Then we'll take the Amtrak Adirondack train to NYC for a couple days, and catch a cheap flight back to Seattle.

Looking forward to learning the ins and outs of train travel on this forum.
Welcome to AU. Your planned trips sound great!

Welcome to AU. Have you ever traveled on the Blue Train?

I have been in South Africa several times but never had time

to take the Blue Train from Pretoria to Capetown.

We're Peace Corps volunteers, the Blue Train is a couple thousand US dollars beyond our reach right now. ;) ...and the trip is just a one night journey. Maybe someday, though!

The trip I'd really like to take is aboard the Shongololo Express, the Livingstone tour. But alas, even if it was on special, and on dates we are allowed leave, we are forbidden to travel to or through Zimbabwe while we're volunteers.

We'll just keep filling up that bucket list!

We're Peace Corps volunteers, the Blue Train is a couple thousand US dollars beyond our reach right now. ;) ...and the trip is just a one night journey. Maybe someday, though!
The trip I'd really like to take is aboard the Shongololo Express, the Livingstone tour. But alas, even if it was on special, and on dates we are allowed leave, we are forbidden to travel to or through Zimbabwe while we're volunteers.

Doesnt Politics and Diplomacy make for Lousy Travel! Thanks for Serving as Real Ambassadors for our Country! :hi:

Have you tried Premier Classe in SA?

No, we haven't tried that, either. The Durban premiere class train was within our reach price wise, but it only runs once a month. Had we elected to take it, we would have cut our trip to Durban short by a third. We considered it, but ultimately decided to take the tourist class train. I think the tourist class train will still be fun.

Welcome to AU. Have you ever traveled on the Blue Train? I have been in South Africa several times but never had time to take the Blue Train from Pretoria to Capetown.
When was the last time you heard a story about Peace Corps volunteering that included top-end luxury accommodations?
What makes you think all Peace Corps volunteers don't have money to pay for top-end luxury accommodations when traveling on their own dime/time?

Well, most of the volunteers on the ground right now in SA absolutely coud not afford luxury travel. There are a few of us, all older volunteers, who could afford a bit more if we used money from home. Here is why my husband and I have, in general, opted not to exercise our ability to pay for "a bit more" (we excepted my mom's visit to SA, but while comfortable, it wasn't luxury. Luxury really, really costs here). The reason is that the Peace Corps asks us to immerse ourselves in the culture and way of life of our host families and counterparts. It's part of goal 3: "Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans." We honor it. In fact, supplementing our living stipend with money/income from home is strongly discouraged. A volunteer "living high on the hog" all the time could make a case for involuntary separation. It would also make for a fairly inauthentic exchange. So, when we travel we mostly use public transport like mini-van taxis (which are a true challenge to endure) and buses. We stay in backpackers and modest guest houses.

Trust me, a flush toilet and a shower are truly luxuries in their own right after months without. :)

Sorry, this is quite a bit OT, but I wanted to address the can/cannot pay for luxury while serving as a PCV. We're terribly lax about updating it, but our blog address is in my profile if you"re curious about PC life.

What makes you think all Peace Corps volunteers don't have money to pay for top-end luxury accommodations when traveling on their own dime/time?
As explained above the issue is not about having the money so much as it's about ignoring and undermining the purpose of joining in the first place. I have nothing but respect for the Peace Corps and those who participate in such projects.

I am very new (as of today in fact) to this forum. I have never been on an Amtrak and am looking forward to my first time soon. I will be looking into going from South Florida (West Palm Beach) up to Seattle, WA then back. We are looking to move into that area.

My user name is a combination of my initials (kmb) and hubby's initials (jbb).

Just saying hello. This guest lsa . Met some of you guys when you did your gathering in Chicago few years back. Now currently working of LA as a server on train 2 or maybe you seen me on 14 .

Last edited:
Just saying hello. This guest lsa . Met some of you guys when you did your gathering in Chicago few years back. Now currently working of LA as a server on train 2 or maybe you seen me on 14 .
:hi: Glad to know that several OBS @ Amtrak read and participate in this Forum! Also that someone who works on LD Trains actually likes Trains and Railroading! Ive always enjoyed riding the Sunset and the Starlight, youve probably had me in your diner also! ;)

My 50th birthday present to myself is the ticket I just bought to a friend's in New York. I've driven and flown up there, but have never gone by train.

Only train trip was Amtrak from Fort Worth to San Antonio 15 or so years ago.

Been all over this country on four wheels, and all over Texas on my bike, flown several times and once took a 7 day cruise.

Driven, rode and flown solo many times, also with the honey and other trips with friends and love traveling with my dogs.

I just like to GO.

I'm really excited about this trip in September. I have a sleeper for the up and back between Fort Worth and Chicago, and will coach it between Chicago and Albany.

My main motivation for starting to learn train travel is the fear of when I get too old to ride or drive. I hate the thought of giving up travel, plus the idea of just relaxing and seeing the scenery. I've always been all about the scenic routes anyway.

I cannot wait to just kick back in my sleeper with my camera, a book, postcards, nail polish and a cocktail(s) ;) and the taking of occasional strolls to explore the train.

And totally stoked about the lengthy layover in Chicago. I just want to walk all over and just gawk at everything and take a million pictures.

I work as an inventory/merchandising manager in a bookstore and LOVE it and am grateful that it provides the great vacation time that it does so I can go on adventures.

We mostly have gone to Martha's Vineyard when I visit, but this time we decided it's time for me to see the Big Apple, so we'll be taking some kind of train down there for a couple days as well.

I'm on here to learn as much as I can about LD train travel, it's a great resource!!

I'm loving the idea of a train trip through the mountains, driving through them can be breathtaking yet exhausting, I'd love to just sit back and look.

Road tripper, shutterbug, book nerd, dog lover....that's pretty much it.

Welcome to AU Peggy. I hope you enjoy your trip. I am a few years older than you are and I have always felt comfortable traveling on long distance trains by myself. Trains are a wonderful way to see the country - much more relaxing than driving, better scenery than flying and a whole lot easier than cycling.

Thanks!!

I'm totally comfortable traveling alone. One of the best solo trips I ever took was nine days across Texas in November '04 on my motorcycle. Only rule I had was to find lodging before nightfall. Loved every second of it.

I just know that I won't have the control, freedom and flexibility on a train so I want to study up so I hopefully don't end up in any sticky situations that I could have avoided.

Other than that, I'm all about leaving the driving to Amtrak!!

I've been trying out Yahoo! Answers recently, and I've HATED IT! No more of that for me. They're no match for AU, no kidding. Lots more unfirendly people, trolls, you name it. I've had a headache simply trying to get past all the waste and grime. I would much rather lurk around here depite prohibitively high Amtrak fares on my frequently travelled routes.

Anyway, at least riding a Greyhound is not flying or driving, which are Amtrak's arch-enemies. I will not hesitate to ride a bus any distance and will be willing to do so if I can't pay for a train ticket. The common "aversion" to buses is exaclty opposite on me.

Who am I?..... I wear a lot of hats, but my chosen profession is full-time Piano Instructor to 50+ children and adults each week. If that doesn't keep me busy enough, I'm working in my garden or planning a trip to visit my 2 grown/married kids who live quite far from me! I discovered the AU Forum quite by accident this summer shortly before a planned visit to Spokane on the EB. The patience, along with the wealth of valuable information as a result of my queries has been much appreciated. A widow of 20 years, I'm accustomed to navigating 'on my own', but the help found here tied up many 'loose ends' before that trip. I've traveled Amtrak before, but mainly the Saluki line from southern Illinois to Chicago. In 2011, I ventured further with a "Vacations by Rail" trip from Chicago to Glacier and back. The first leg was on CZ to Salt Lake, then motorcoach through Tetons, Yellowstone, finally Glacier. This was the summer of the floods, and when we got off the train in SLC, were told the return trip to Chicago on EB would not.... be. Thank Heavens for buying the travel insurance! We detoured via EB west to Seattle from Glacier, then everyone flew to their home from there. Interesting note...the CZ I traveled on was the actual train that was involved in a semi collision in Nevada later that day. We had gotten off the train in SLC about 8 hours before the accident.[it was about 5 hours late] More irony....I had opted for coach for that leg, not a sleeper. The truck ran in to the coach car directly in front of the one I had occupied from Chicago. AP photos showed that car in flames, too. [several people, including an Amtrak Conductor, died in this crash] It still haunts me, to this day....If only we'd been on time... People asked this summer...how can you get back on a train? My answer is, Amtrak did NOTHING wrong!

Having recently stayed in a sleeper on the EB, I will never go back to coach for long distance. Loved the quiet, peace and solitude, watching strange lands pass by my window, and meeting new people in the dining car each day. That's about it for me...... Love going by Amtrak, and I'm going to try to keep one scheduled trip on the books at all times [a reward for the long hours of work!!] Good to be here! :) SWC coming up this Christmas.....

Back