Who in the world are you?

Discussion in 'News, Announcements & Introductions' started by Shortline, Oct 3, 2012.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Dec 23, 2018 #376

CGChief

CGChief

CGChief

53 year old, been in the Coast Guard for 33 years retiring early summer 2019. Hoping to go to work for AMTRAK, but I figure at my age its probably a pipe dream. I've ridden the Silver Service trains about 6 or 8 times from FL when I was stationed down there to Fayetteville, NC. Just rode it up to NYC to visit my son and his family who were in NYC for my daughter in law's business. Also, rode the CZ from Emeryville to Reno during a trip out to see the same son. if I don't get on with AMTRAK I have a bucket list trip around the Country. I live in Wilmington, NC so my home station is Fayetteville, NC.

RhettLR and Railroad Bill like this.
  2. Mar 28, 2019 #377

cfomahm

c

cfomahm

Lot of railroad in my family. Grandfather was a blacksmith for EL. Late husband was C&O. Current husband was C&O/CSX lifer, as was his father. I did 5 years with CSX before I left to raise our kids. But we were all freight employees (except for a stint my FIL did on the "Sportsman").

Been reading this forum for about 6 years to learn about traveling via Amtrak before hubby and I started doing it. Made a one day "out & back" trip in BC to see what we thought and it was so nice that out next trip was CHI-NOL on the CONO and we loved traveling in the sleeper. Have taken my grandson on the SWC the last 3 years to visit his other set of grandparents and he loves it too.

This place is great and friendly and I finally joined because I have a coupon coming up on expiration that I can't use and I want to be able to give it away to someone and not just let it die.

RhettLR and pennyk like this.
  3. Mar 28, 2019 #378

pennyk

pennyk

pennyk

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator Gathering Team Member

Welcome and thanks for being a member.

4. Mar 29, 2019 #379

Peripatetica

P

Peripatetica

My mother worked for the Pullman Company, in Cleveland Ohio office. I met many Pullman people in the 1940's.

5. Apr 2, 2019 #380

NSC1109

N

NSC1109

Service Attendant

I'm not sure if I've posted in this thread before, but I'm going to assume that I haven't.

I am a 20 y/o college student in the Midwest who's been interested in trains all his life. However, my interest goes beyond your typical railfan "hurritge" stuff; my real passion is Amtrak, as I'm sure many of you have been able to deduce from my posts in the "What Would You Add?" thread along with the various five-year plans. I wholeheartedly believe that there will be a turning point for Amtrak in the next few years and I want to help modernize the network, expanding into underserved or new markets and updating equipment while still maintaining that "romantic" feel. Granted I won't exactly be able to do that right out of college but a transition like that isn't going to happen overnight, and I see it as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to turn the organization around in many ways.

I also volunteer for one of the well-known steam railroading groups in the Midwest.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    RhettLR and oregon pioneer like this.
  6. Apr 11, 2019 #381

Winecliff Station

Winecliff Station

Winecliff Station

Hi! I'm new here, just registered today in fact, and I'm 51 years old. I represent children in family court and also teach Zumba.

I commute 1-3 days each week on the Empire line to Penn Station and am tired of explaining to my colleagues why I take Amtrak instead of saving a few dollars with the local commuter rail service. Maybe that should be the subject of a new thread, so I won't unpack all of that right now...

I'm a first generation Greek with 5 senior Italian Greyhounds who are spoiled rotten, but only Prada and Versace have had the honor of riding on Amtrak.

7. May 9, 2019 #382

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Lead Service Attendant

Returned after suddenly receiving site updates, following an absence of a couple years. I'm here to stay in honor of three fine men who made this a great place to be: Alan, Patrick, and Eric. I knew Alan and Patrick had passed on, sadly, but didn't know about Eric. Last communication we had he had offered to meet me in Las Vegas on our next trip there which did not materialize, and I am so regretting we never had the chance to say hello in person. Similarly, conversation history with Alan was preserved here, very grateful for that. I really hope all 3 of these wonderful human beings know that they touched the lives of others and are still missed.

8. May 19, 2019 #383

basketmaker

basketmaker

basketmaker

Train Attendant

I know this is an old post. But I think it is interesting. Particularly the usernames. Mine "basketmaker" came from a CB handle back in the early 70's. I was a CB'er and a friend said I should be in a home making basket since I was a crazy driver. So I took basketmaker as my CB handle and have continued it thru the years and progression of the electronics world. It is my main e-mail address and screen name/username on most sites.

9. May 23, 2019 at 3:41 PM #384

Pacific Surfrider

P

Pacific Surfrider

Hello, I recently joined, and am a daily Pacific Surfliner commuter (sitting on the train now!). I've been riding the rails for almost seven years, enough to have about 50,000 Guest Rewards points saved up. We're thinking about taking a trip from Chicago to LA on the Southwest Chief next year for fun - looks like a long trip though.

I have an unofficial train status website, done while on the train to pass the time, and mostly for mobile use. So far I've only shared it with a few of my fellow Pacific Surfliner commuters, but thought I'd post it here and would be glad for any feedback:

https://railrat.net/

Thanks!

Pere Flyer and Bob Dylan like this.
  10. May 23, 2019 at 6:09 PM #385

pennyk

pennyk

pennyk

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator Gathering Team Member

Welcome and thanks for sharing your train status website.