Which side of train CZ from Chicago to SLC and SLC to SF

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lol

Is there a preferred side for views on CZ out of Chicago. Going to SLC then after Yellowstone on to SF?

Also how do we get a decent seat . I assume there is an upper level? Is is just get there early? What do we ask the conductor for as we board? Don't need to be near bathroom. Do we get on any of the coaches?

Sorry for naive questions from a rookie Brit.

As I have not traveled that route I cannot answer with anything but my favorite "as long as I am inside the train I am happy."

Seriously, even if we say for example the left side, and you look at the car layout on line and your room is on the left side, you won't know until you board as you never know how the car will be oriented on the train. Once you get an answer, board and find you are on the wrong side, head to the lounge car and enjoy the view from that vantage point, plus the glass curves over the top edge of the roof line so you have a better view of the mountains there.

There is a lot of info on the Amtrak site. Look at all the pages and look at the links there too. Look at utube also.

Where you sit depends on the ticket you bought and where you plan to get off. Conductors put everyone getting off at the same place int he same cars.

If you buy a room you get your own place. If not you in a room ,you are in coach and everyone has the same seat. I have read there is a business class seat but I don't know what that is. All seats are comfortable to me. You may move about the train and go tot he dining car, Lounge/snack car, or the sightseer car. Read more online and watch the videos.

The train folks here are very supportive, but If you ask more specific questions, they can help you better. :) Have a great trip! Husband and I just took the Lake Shore Limited and the CZ to co. Part in coach and part in a roomette. Scenery is fantastic!

I would try to get a seat on the North side of the train. You'll see Denver receading as you climb the front range, Donner Lake, etc. You'll miss some of the Colorado canyons, The view down into the American river, but also the afternoon sun. LWB

Hey Lol--

Personally I prefer the south side of the train... because you get the best views of the stunning Colorado River canyons (which IMHO, are alone worth the price of the ticket.) But LWBaxter makes a good point about your comfort in the afternoon sun. So really, you can't go wrong.

But let me make a suggestion... as you leave Denver make your way to the Sightseer Lounge and grab one of the swivel chairs. The huge windows that wrap up into the ceiling give you the best views of the Colorado River canyons... and with the swivel chair you won't miss a thing on the other side of the train.

As far as where your seat will be... unless you've specifically purchased or requested a lower level seat... you'll be sitting on the upper level (the bathrooms are on the lower level.)

Thanks, looks like I don't need to worry. Just so looking forward to the trip.

But let me make a suggestion... as you leave Denver make your way to the Sightseer Lounge and grab one of the swivel chairs. The huge windows that wrap up into the ceiling give you the best views of the Colorado River canyons... and with the swivel chair you won't miss a thing on the other side of the train
Of course those swivel chairs typically no longer swivel, Amtrak has locked them down as it can make it very hard to walk through the car when they get rotated.

Thanks, looks like I don't need to worry. Just so looking forward to the trip.
Hope it is a good trip. When I finally took it Westbound to Salt Lake last summer, our sleeper window faced north. It crisscrosses the river, so sometimes that is good and sometimes not; ie, sometimes you see the valley, sometimes you are looking up a canyon wall. But there was enough of God's glory for me to enjoy.

We were too late to get seats in the Sightseer car, which is the ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back