Which bed to use in roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teamfour

Train Attendant
I am traveling alone in a Viewliner roomette and was wondering is it possible to use the upper bunk and leave the seats usable? I was not sure if there is something mechanical that prevents this. I know I could wait and ask the attendant this, but I don't want to look like a complete newbie. :p I'm sure there will be other things I do that will give that away.

I am traveling alone in a Viewliner roomette and was wondering is it possible to use the upper bunk and leave the seats usable? I was not sure if there is something mechanical that prevents this. I know I could wait and ask the attendant this, but I don't want to look like a complete newbie. :p I'm sure there will be other things I do that will give that away.
Many single travellers do as you wish to do, for the same reasons.

Enjoy your trip, and the view out of the top window :)

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm just curious....where are you headed?

I always use the upper bunk in a Viewliner to sleep in if I'm traveling solo. I love being able to wake up, push that upper bunk up out of my way and regaining my room space without having to wait for the attendant to come by and make up the room.

Granted I know how to return the seats to their fully upright position, but it's so much easier to grab that handle and just push the upper bed up than it is to fuss with the seats.

I usually sleep on the shelf in a Superliner roomette too, although occasionally I'll sleep in the lower bed.

I'm just curious....where are you headed?
I am headed from WAS to SDL (just short of NOL). I am moving my daughter up to DC driving a Uhaul and towing her car. I have enough vacation leave so I thought I would try the train. My wife and I took a short trip on Amtrak from WAS to PHL last year and loved it!

We were in Vermont two weeks ago and it took us 24 hours to FLY home to New Orleans after numerous delays and missed flights. So I figured 24 hours on a train may be less stressful.

The Upper can get a bit claustrophobic.
On a Superliner, yes. Not so much on a Viewliner where you have far more headroom in the upper bunk and your own window. And the OP will be on a Viewliner.
In addition, I believe you will find more head room too when you sit up on the lower bed of the Viewliner than on the Superliner. I have to tilt my head when sitting up during the night in the Superliner but not on the Viewliner!

The Upper can get a bit claustrophobic.
On a Superliner, yes. Not so much on a Viewliner where you have far more headroom in the upper bunk and your own window. And the OP will be on a Viewliner.
In addition, I believe you will find more head room too when you sit up on the lower bed of the Viewliner than on the Superliner. I have to tilt my head when sitting up during the night in the Superliner but not on the Viewliner!
a Viewliner being only single decked has much higher ceilings so they can spread tihngs up a little more, you will also notice that the upper is higher from the floor too.

Superlliners have much less head room to fit the two decks in there. (the Traveler and I talked on #50 and discussed a bit about a low height double deck sleeper using the Kawasaki commuter car shell as a starting point.

Bob

When I travel with my kid on a Viewliner, I always put the top buck down as soon as we board, and my kid uses the top bunk as a play area ("tree fort").

I still have enough headroom below, to comfortably sit in the seats. I mean, I am not even close to hitting my head.

And my kid has lots of headroom to sit up too, and occasionally even look at his own window.

I travel more in the Superliners than Viewliners (I generally perfer to go west from Milwaukee so I can get a longer train trip in)... but I love to sleep on the upper bunk and leave the lower seats in tact. It can be a pain when you have to climb down to go and use the bathroom, but it's nice, if you can't sleep, you can actually sit up and look out the window. Plus, I usually leave my GPS plugged in all night and attached to the lower window.

The Viewliner is nice in that you have the window on the upper bunk too.

I'm going to have three nights in a roomette on an upcoming trip. It's my first time in a Superliner roomette. Will it be annoying to my attendant if I ask to try the upper bunk one night and the lower bunk the next, instead of just picking one and sticking with it?

When I travel with my kid on a Viewliner, I always put the top buck down as soon as we board, and my kid uses the top bunk as a play area ("tree fort").
I still have enough headroom below, to comfortably sit in the seats. I mean, I am not even close to hitting my head.

And my kid has lots of headroom to sit up too, and occasionally even look at his own window.
Proof, if proof were needed, that train>car when it comes to taking kids. I don't know how some parents cope with the latter option...

Will it be annoying to my attendant if I ask to try the upper bunk one night and the lower bunk the next, instead of just picking one and sticking with it?
Nothing is annoying if you tip well. :lol:

Just let the attendant know which bed you want to use, before he/she makes up your roomette for the night.

All my time has been on Superliners, and I've done both. I really like being by the window on the bottom, and the top bunk can be quite a ride, especially being at the top of a doubledecker, going 90 MPH through the Southwest. The rocking moment is so high that you feel just about every switch and rail joint. Also, being about 265 lbs, I can't turn around without opening my door. BUT it did let me keep the seats set up for the lower bunk and it was nice to be able to switch back and forth because I can't sleep a full night on a train - more like 2-3 hour spurts. Window view doesn't mean much at night as you can't see hardly anything (again, in the SW dessert!)

I've also asked the attendant to make BOTH beds (so I could decide which was better). If I needed to sit upright, I went to the Lounge.

Bottom bunk was more comfortable and it was just like sleeping in a single bed. No complaints, really.

I wonder why there isn't a window out the top bunk on the LOWER level of a Superliner roomette. That'd be my favorite place to sleep!

Viewliner top bunk sounds real nice. Hope I get the chance some day!

Will it be annoying to my attendant if I ask to try the upper bunk one night and the lower bunk the next, instead of just picking one and sticking with it?
Nothing is annoying if you tip well. :lol:

Just let the attendant know which bed you want to use, before he/she makes up your roomette for the night.
One doesn't even need to tip well to have the choice. Just tell the attendant which way you want your room to be setup, before he/she starts to set things up.

If there were two people in that room they'd have to do both beds anyhow, so it hardly matters. And if the attendant does things right, he/she will just use the lower bed's mattress both nights. I never take away the lower bed's mattrees when I sleep up top, I just spread it out on top of the other mattress for more cushion. The mattress is a bit bigger than the bed, so you have to watch the edges. But again it makes things softer and it would mean that the attendant only change one set of sheets and blankets.

Aloha

i am enjoying the comments in this thread but now have to add my own.

Sleep in the bed that makes you comfortable. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back