Where'd the 'Big Announcement' thread go?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it has been renamed "AGR Spring/National Train Day Promotion coming 3/18" and moved to the AGR forum. So the moderators don't think it will that big of an announcement. If Amtrak does make a real surprise announcement on Monday that has nothing to do with an AGR promotion, well it will be a surprise. :p

And the 2 threads on the same subject have been merged together into only one thread.

There is a 99.999999% chance that it deals with earning additional AGR points. That is why it's in the AGR forum. If it is related to something like a new route or two added, it will be moved to the general forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the 2 threads on the same subject have been merged together into only one thread.
There is a 99.999999% chance that it deals with earning additional AGR points. That is why it's in the AGR forum. If it is related to something like a new route or two added, it will be moved to the general forum.
Thank you. It will be fun to chase the topic across all the sub forums to find out what the announcement actually was! ;)

The first clue doesn't sound or look like anything having to do with AGR and a spring promotion wouldn't exactly be a big surprise. - jmo.

From Amtrak - the first clue today.

Btw... the picture below is as posted on Facebook.

Playing our #AllAboard Game?

First clue is it’s a labor of love!

Any guesses?

firstclue_zps5a8b7d49.jpg

Maybe a New Haven Club Acela!

Dunno where they would put that, but it would quickly become my second most used CA...

Here's my guess for Clue #1

'It's a labor of love'

The Museum of Railway Timetables

From Amtrak's Whistle Stop site:

"We are very proud to present this labor of love to the Amtrak community," says Rizos.

"Amtrak has enjoyed a rich history of train service, just like its predecessors, and this archive ensures its preservation in digital form for years to come.

If I'm right, I don't know what the picture would have to do with it since it's a digital museum.

If I'm wrong, I think it's a good guess based on my sleuthing skills. :)

Thank you. It will be fun to chase the topic across all the sub forums to find out what the announcement actually was! ;)
Have you tried using the New Content "button"? No chasing around sub forums for new posts.

Have you tried using the New Content "button"? No chasing around sub forums for new posts.
This...

I seriously doubt Amtrak is making this big a deal about announcing a site that just celebrated its second birthday.
(The "Rizos" in your quote is Anthony, our beleoved overloard and site owner)
And this part:

labor of love
was thanks in large part to our own Tom (MrFSS) who spent many hours sitting in front of his scanner. :)

I seriously doubt Amtrak is making this big a deal about announcing a site that just celebrated its second birthday.
http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/31525-introducing-the-museum-of-railway-timetables/

I doubt it too and that isn't what I said or implied.

It's only one of the clues about something that will be *revealed* on Monday, not announced which is why I seriously doubt it has anything to do with an AGR promo.

I'm a noob but that's still my guess and @amtrak also posted that it was a good guess on Twitter.

As I also said, maybe a new, improved Amtrak.com

I'm not surprised that the owner of this site would also be the owner of the Museum of Railway Timetables - thanks Anthony!

It's a fun site to peruse.

And this part:

labor of love
was thanks in large part to our own Tom (MrFSS) who spent many hours sitting in front of his scanner. :)
That had to be a lot of work - thanks!

If... if my Timetables guess is correct for that clue, maybe it has something to do with an old route being reinstated.

I'm sure with all of the insiders on this board, we'd already know about something like JAX - NOL coming back.

I don't think that would address the actual problem of threads being randomly renamed and moved around without warning. My suggestion is to add a link that connects to the new thread to the end of the old thread before locking it. That way anyone who was following the old thread can quickly and easily find the new thread no matter what it's called or where it ended up.

If... if my Timetables guess is correct for that clue, maybe it has something to do with an old route being reinstated.
I'm sure with all of the insiders on this board, we'd already know about something like JAX - NOL coming back.
No routes are going to be reinstated.

I don't think that would address the actual problem of threads being randomly renamed and moved around without warning. My suggestion is to add a link that connects to the new thread to the end of the old thread before locking it. That way anyone who was following the old thread can quickly and easily find the new thread no matter what it's called or where it ended up.
This ^

If a thread is moved, the staff have an option to leave a link in the original forum and the default is to leave said link. That link automatically is deleted by the system 30 days later, by which time the thread is usually quiet anyhow.

If a thread is merged into another thread, alas there is nothing that can be done that would help anyone to find it. The vBulletin software used by FlyerTalk does have a nice feature that allows the staff to leave a link behind under the original title taking one to the newly merged topic. But at present that's not a feature with our Invision software. Hopefully it is in the new update that is currently out, but not applied here yet. Or failing that, hopefully its in the next release.

Just reading the quoted post... I hadn't realized that moderators moved and renamed threads randomly... I thought it was for a specific reason each time. Silly me.

Just reading the quoted post... I hadn't realized that moderators moved and renamed threads randomly... I thought it was for a specific reason each time. Silly me.
We really don't move all that much, and we probably merge even less. But occasionally things do get moved around and there is always a reason for it, even if it's not always clear to everyone.

No routes are going to be reinstated.
Sounds like a voice of authority! :)

So, it looks like no new routes and not an AGR promo announcement, at least to me.

Then I think it's going to be a new Amtrak.com - that would definitely be a labor of love.

What do you guys think?

Especially since they posted this second clue.....

Are you ready for our #AllAboard clue for today?

Here it is...It's interactive!

secondclue_zpscf96757f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back