Where to Park in Atlanta

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kay

Where is safe parking for amtrak travelors leaving atlanta on the crescent? any information much appreciated

There is a lot across from the station, years ago there was an amtrak sign on this lot, it is no longer marked as Amtrak but passengers still use it. Many signs are put up saying permit required, unathorized will be towed. I have left vehicles there for 1 or 2 days and never had a problem. Of course, your clearly on your own if anything happens.

The Super 8 Motel across from the station will let you park for a small fee per day (been a few years since I have done that). I have done that for longer trips and have not had a problem. Since the lot is watched for the most part by hotel workers, and its right off the main street, it's fairly safe even if its not the best part of town.

Neither of these choices are ideal, but I have used them in the past and not had a problem.

Well, I live here and don't have any thing to add to the above.

What you have to keep in mind is that the tiny little Amtrak station in ATL was never--ever--meant to be a major metropolitan station.

Instead, there were two big stations downtown. This one which still exists today was then merely a suburban stop...just pause and let a few folks north of the city board without going downtown. Back then, the distance to "downtown" obviously was perceived as being much longer than it is today.

Anyway, the station was never meant to be a full facility location. Just a pause in the 'burbs.

We could park at Bill's place :p .

When I (female) travel alone I feel comfortable enough leaving my car in the Marta Lenox station long term parking (finding it can be troublesome but it is attended), taking MARTA to the Arts Station and the bus back to the Amtrak station. Get your pass card figured out in advance, though. Dress conservatively.

Search on these forums and you can find an entire discussion about taking MARTA in Atlanta to the Amtrak station.

"saying permit required"

Do you have any clue where one gets these permits?

"Safe parking" can mean different things to different people in Atlanta. This may seem controversial, but it's not. If you can relate to people from all over the world and of every persuasion you should be fine. If you're someone who feels in another world in Atlanta you're not going to be as comfortable as I am and you might be better off to catch a cab to the station or if you're from way out, get on in Gainesville or Toccoa. As slow as the train goes through the Douglasville area it's a shame it doesn't do a quick stop there as well.

We could park at Bill's place :p .
When I (female) travel alone I feel comfortable enough leaving my car in the Marta Lenox station long term parking (finding it can be troublesome but it is attended), taking MARTA to the Arts Station and the bus back to the Amtrak station. Get your pass card figured out in advance, though. Dress conservatively.

Search on these forums and you can find an entire discussion about taking MARTA in Atlanta to the Amtrak station.

Sure......park at Bill's place :lol: .....sure....... :lol:

one thought: coming from Lenox you could indeed take the MARTA train to the Arts Center Station and then a MARTA bus back to Amtrak, as you mention. But you could also just board a MARTA #23 or #110 bus at Lenox and take it straight through to Amtrak.

Just be sure to have the driver call out the name Amtrak. They usually do but they will be sure to and be louder about it if somebody asks. Now,most of us on here prefer trains ( duhhhh) but for expediency just taking the bus stragiht through, if you are approaching from that direction, is an option. It is a rather pleasant bus ride, scenery, including "Bill's Place".

The above is just if you are heading SOUTH from Lenox Square. If you are coming from town or the airport, this would not apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is safe parking for amtrak travelors leaving atlanta on the crescent? any information much appreciated
I also live in Atlanta. If I am only going to be gone for a day or two, I park across the street, towards the back (facing the apartments) in the Borders/Kroger shopping center. Never had a problem, well lit, fairly safe.

I also live in Atlanta. If I am only going to be gone for a day or two, I park across the street, towards the back (facing the apartments) in the Borders/Kroger shopping center. Never had a problem, well lit, fairly safe.
I thought of that since I normally shop at that Krogers. But I assumed security would not allow it---do you check with security? Maybe they don't know that it is not the car of a resident or guest?

I thought of that since I normally shop at that Krogers. But I assumed security would not allow it---do you check with security? Maybe they don't know that it is not the car of a resident or guest?
Exactly why I park in the back facing the apartments! :)

thanks everyone. i live in tennessee so i was sort of hoping for one of those secure parking lots like the airports have. i will be gone 4 days.

The MARTA Lennox Station long term parking IS secure attended parking but not nearly as easy as the airport (is/was?). You just have to get from there back to the Amtrak station: bus, rail or taxi or a combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back