When the nuts are running the Asylum (homeland security)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need a basic form of security, and we all need to just keep a watchful eye out. But common sense seems to be lacking with most TSA agents and well pretty much the whole organization. I mean c'mon...a bottle of water and my toothpaste is really going to make a bomb? I mean if I try to go through security with several gallons of Diet Coke and a suitcase full of Mentos, then that might be a cause for concern. But my half empty tube of hair gel added to my shampoo really isn't going to do much.

However there has been concern about lithium batteries in checked luggage.

As some of you know, I use to work for the airlines. And I have a couple stories to share:

Once I went to the airport in full uniform and proper ID. The TSA lady said I needed a boarding pass. I told her I'm going to work to fly passengers. She asked me if this was my base. I said no, but I'm going to work. She still said I needed a boarding pass for a flight I was actually going to fly. :lol: Spoke with the supervisor who backed her up and wouldn't let me through. So I gave up and walked down to the next check point and got right on through.

Another time I was going to work at my base in JFK. I was walking from the Airtrain to the terminal in the skywalk when a family was taking pictures of each other over looking the terminal with a nice sunset in the background. National Guard units were nearby and told the family that photos were strictly prohibited. I really wanted to go back to the family and offer to take the pictures for them, but I had to bite my lip. I didn't think the NG would appreciate me undermining their authority. (I was also in full uniform)

Many airports I flew into didn't use a jet bridge so passengers just stepped out onto the ramp before heading into the terminal. (This was the case at JFK) I had numerous passengers take a photo of each other in front of the plane. I even offered to take photos for them. No one ever stopped me from doing, but I figure I have authority over whether the plane I'm flying gets photographed. :)

A report from the front lines! Couldnt say it any better Chris, we dont need clowns like these working train stations and trains!And god forbid that any private security is hired to work stations like in Dallas which I know youre familiar with!

(see Erics post re Dallas)! So far I havent seen any Amtrak police abuse their authority or act clueless,hope this continues!!

I mean c'mon...a bottle of water and my toothpaste is really going to make a bomb?
If you read up on the recent court trial of the social cripples trying to bring down several planes using water bottles as bombs, then it did seem it was possible to create a viable device.

Don't take much to pop a hole in a plane fuselage....

I mean c'mon...a bottle of water and my toothpaste is really going to make a bomb?
If you read up on the recent court trial of the social cripples trying to bring down several planes using water bottles as bombs, then it did seem it was possible to create a viable device.

Don't take much to pop a hole in a plane fuselage....
I agree. The liquid volumes required to make a bomb are not that large.

I fail to see the issue with TSA. I have flown dozens of times over the last couple of years, from airports large and small, and have not been delayed or inconvenienced by TSA inspection in any real way. I have a nice supply of travel-sized liquids, I wear shoes that slip on and off easily, and I pack my belt in my carry-on until I clear. With that minimal effort, I walk through security with no delay. If that's the price I have to pay for the freedom to travel, then I gladly pay it.

Sure there are some clueless TSA screeners, just as there are clueless Amtrak ticket agents and conductors. Just as with Amtrak, I find the majority of TSA people are just fine. There are even some great ones, including a pair of screeners at SEA who treated an elderly passenger who needed help with such courtesy and kindness that I wrote TSA to compliment the professionalism of those individuals.

By the way, I finally found a place that sells toothpaste in 3-oz tubes - perfect for TSA. That place: the gift shop at Amtrak's 30th Street Station in Philadelphia. Love that gift shop.

Wonder if they sell the mini-travel kit that Cary grant used in North by Northwest on the 20th Century Ltd.???

Wonder if they sell the mini-travel kit that Cary grant used in North by Northwest on the 20th Century Ltd.???
Unfortunately you'll have to find somewhere else to change your clothes as LaSalle Street station now only handles Metra Rock Island trains and Marshall Field's window now belongs to Macy's :)

Why? Do they fit in a 3"x3" sandwich bag? :lol:
They were pretty small!LOL Wonder if my Gillette Fusion would be confiscated,its as lethal as a box cutter?(what the idiots used on 9-11,they also found some on the Eagle in Texas that same week,arrested some guys who I think are still in Gitmo!)

They were pretty small!LOL Wonder if my Gillette Fusion would be confiscated,its as lethal as a box cutter?(what the idiots used on 9-11,they also found some on the Eagle in Texas that same week,arrested some guys who I think are still in Gitmo!)
Being sent off to Gitmo for merely carrying a Gillette Fusion would be a real bummer I should think :-/

Being sent off to Gitmo for merely carrying a Gillette Fusion would be a real bummer I should think :-/
Well reading the post about New mexico and the cash confiscating cops reminded me that these idiots also had several thousands of dollars to go along with the box cutters, since I dont have any cash (retired govt. employee)I may be safe with my Fusion! :)

I don't think they're sending any newbies to Gitmo. Instead you'd get a free all expenses paid trip to beautiful Leavenworth, Kansas. :lol:

I don't think they're sending any newbies to Gitmo. Instead you'd get a free all expenses paid trip to beautiful Leavenworth, Kansas. :lol:
Do they have Amtrak service there? Or is it more like a Charter Train ("Special Run")?

I remember when Alcatraz was first populated, the new residents were brought there (as far as the ferry dock, anyway) by a Special Train which allowed them all to be securely chained in their places. So there could be no uncertainty as to who was who ("please present ID when boarding"), and who had or had not submitted their Tickets to the "Special" Conductor. :ph34r:

"Please do NOT attempt to visit the Snack Bar until AFTER your Chains have been released." :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back