When is Roomette Assignment made on CZ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy everyone! I'm planning a Chicago-Emeryville round trip with my family of 4 this summer. I'd like to be able to get two roomettes as a "pair," namely two across from one another on upper level. This will allow my wife and I to keep an eye on our kids. Does anyone know whether Amtrak allows you to choose the roomette designation numbers at reservation time, or is this left to the onboard personnel at boarding?

Want to be able to supervise our kids, but a big plus would be we'd have both sides for viewing.

Many thanks everybody and happy travels!

You will be assigned Roomettes at the time of booking automatically by the computer. IME they alternate between upper level and lower level. I'd suggest calling Amtrak to book so you can let the agent know your preferences and they can assist you with checking the available inventory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, some agents appear not to be able to change the automatically assigned roomettes without impacting the price. It can be done, so if an agent insists the price will change, politely thank them and call back. Chances are you will get an agent that can.

The proper way for an agent to take a room without changing the price (which happens when you get the last room at a certain bucket) is for them to specify the room in the same entry as the actual sleeper request. If they choose a sleeper room first, and try to specify the room afterwards, the computer will have already assigned them a room automatically, taking both the room and the bucket out of available inventory. When they try to take a specific room after the fact, the computer thinks they're trying to get an additional room (i.e. a second, third, or whatever), and will only allow it to price at whatever bucket is remaining.

The proper way for an agent to take a room without changing the price (which happens when you get the last room at a certain bucket) is for them to specify the room in the same entry as the actual sleeper request. If they choose a sleeper room first, and try to specify the room afterwards, the computer will have already assigned them a room automatically, taking both the room and the bucket out of available inventory. When they try to take a specific room after the fact, the computer thinks they're trying to get an additional room (i.e. a second, third, or whatever), and will only allow it to price at whatever bucket is remaining.
Thanks everyone! @Trogdor, I am such a newbie, could you please tell me what is a bucket during ticketing process. thanks again!

Thanks everyone! @Trogdor, I am such a newbie, could you please tell me what is a bucket during ticketing process. thanks again!
Amtrak uses "yield management" like the airplanes, so the prices go up as more seats/rooms are sold. So the first seat on an empty train is the cheapest, while the last seat on a nearly-full train is very expensive. The different prices are called "buckets".

Just wanted to add that I always look at the online reservation options before I call the agent, that way I know what the current bucket is.

And I have asked for specific roomettes both during the initial reservation process, as well as changing later, and I've always had nice agents that managed to satisfy my needs and wishes for certain spaces!

Thanks Trogdor! I guess a related question is, how soon do the sleeper buckets usually fill up for CZ? I am guessing one needs to estimate that sort of thing.... but I'm sure hoping that six-seven months in advance should get us a good price!

thx again, cheers to all! :hi:

Zephyr during the summer is pretty popular, so trains are filling up even now. If you know your plans, I'd book soon.

Check out amsnag.net for cost comparisons over a range of dates.

Also, if you should happen to find the costs have dropped after you booked, you should be able to call Amtrak and get the lower cost...but this, according to others, can be tricky depending on the agent you get.

Also, some agents appear not to be able to change the automatically assigned roomettes without impacting the price. It can be done, so if an agent insists the price will change, politely thank them and call back. Chances are you will get an agent that can.
Or, don't waste your time by calling back and having to wait on hold again (you could even get another agent who doesn't know how to do it.). Ask to speak with a supervisor. It will save you time and the agent will learn the proper procedure so they won't have to waste your time again in the future.

WOW! Thanks so much to everyone who responded. Not only did I get some great advice (and education about pricing), I lucked out yesterday and was able to book what I wanted over the phone.

You guys are so awesome and I am really happy to have joined this forum. Thanks again people!! :hi:

Amtrak uses "yield management" like the airplanes, so the prices go up as more seats/rooms are sold. So the first seat on an empty train is the cheapest, while the last seat on a nearly-full train is very expensive. The different prices are called "buckets".
I booked travel on the California Zephyr last month for travel in March. I noticed today that the price has gone down $16.00.

Can I ask Amtrak to refund me the difference? Should I cancel my reservation and re-book at the lower price?

I booked travel on the California Zephyr last month for travel in March. I noticed today that the price has gone down $16.00.

Can I ask Amtrak to refund me the difference? Should I cancel my reservation and re-book at the lower price?
You could call and do that - but DON'T CANCEL, just get an agent who can make the change. But is it worth $16 to go to the trouble?

You could call and do that - but DON'T CANCEL, just get an agent who can make the change. But is it worth $16 to go to the trouble?
For $16? No. But for myself and 2 daughters round-trip, yes.

Thank you for the advice. I'll call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back