What's the latest a train has ever been?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NY Penn

OBS Chief
Well, you heard the question.

AFAIK, it's the 24 hours mentioned in my signature.
unsure.gif

unsure.gif
Back in the day when the late lamented Sunset Ltd. East ran all the way to Florida from LAX,

there were some Monumental Delays along the Route, Ive heard stories of Trains running Two Days Late! :eek: and there is a legend about one Train that hasnt arrived yet!! (the Sunset East has not run since Katrina! :lol: Talk about the man who never returned! :ph34r: )

Edit: Was gonna say bet Jay Hadley has some stories bout this! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

unsure.gif

On January 6, 1884 a westbound passenger train stalled in a snow drift about 1 mile east of Cumbres Pass, Colorado on the Denver and Rio Grande.

It was three days before the employees at the Cumbres section house realized that the train was marooned and several more days after that when a Supt named Cole Lyden left his pregnant wife and snowshoed to the still stuck train.

The passengers got out by continuing their westbound journey on snowshoe down Cumbres Pass towards Chama, NM - the 1884 equivalent of bustitution. The precise date the passengers got back on board a train is not known. What is known is that the train itself was not freed until April 12 making it more than three months late.

That line is still open for passenger service, but not during the winter! It's the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic RR. I volunteer there as a docent and this fall will be riding the SW Chief on my way back home.

In winter, the Empire Builder always suffers significant delays, sometimes as long as 2-3 days.

City of San Francisco...1952...Stuck four days with 196 passengers in Donner Pass.
And it is usually not a good thing to get stuck in the Donner Pass. What might be interesting to find out is if it had 196 when it started up the pass—and if it had the same number when it finally came down.

unsure.gif
The northbound Silvers were 28 hours late.

I was on one of those Silvers, though I got off in PHL. Beyond the wait, it wasn't as bad for those in the sleepers. The on-board staff, irrespective of Amtrak itself, went out of their way to keep us fed and comfortable. :help:

Angry Amtrak travelers in NYC 28 hours late

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back