What's the deal with menus nowadays?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D.P. Roberts

Conductor
When I rode the EB last summer, they had different menus eastbound and westbound. Now, Amtrak's website shows only one menu. Secondly, I thought the EB was supposed to have somewhat better dining when compared with other routes, but now they all seem to be the same (or very nearly the same), right down to the specials.

I don't see anything mentioned about the EB's formerly-elevated dining on Amtrak's site or the EB magazine (it only mentions the wine and cheese tastings on the EB and CS). Is there really anything special about the EB's dining anymore, other than the non-plastic plates?

I noticed it few months ago. My theory is that it's a part of Amtrak's plan to reduce losses in the dining cars (the change came at the same time as a price increases). None of the routes have separate westbound and eastbound menus and there are only two menus in use:

Version A (marked as menu C1) is in use on most of the western trains (the California Zephyr, the Southwest Chief, the Coast Starlight, the Empire Builder, and Texas Eagle).

Version B (marked as menu C5) is in use on most of the eastern trains (the City of New Orleans, the Crescent, the Sunset Limited, the Lake Shore Limited, the Silver Star and the Silver Meteor.)

The exceptions are the Cardinal (which has a simplified menu), the Capital Limited (has a variation of menu version B with an express lunch) and the Parlour Car on the Coast Starlight (which still has separate northbound and southbound menus).

The way it's setup... you at least get some variety if you are traveling through Chicago. But Amtrak hasn't changed the menu in almost 3 months... which means frequent customers out west are probably pretty sick of the kung pao chicken stir fry.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a coffee half full/half empty solution. When I rode cross country this summer we had the same menu across the country (8 meals), then a different menu on the Starlight. I would venture to guess a person on a cross country trip would appreciate 2 separate menus, and it would be more tolerable for a frequent west or east traveler to have the same menu but on smaller trips.

If the simplified menu saves Amtrak money, I think this is a good move. Probably no reason to have a more expensive offering for the relatively small amount of passengers who travel long-distance so often that the menu would become overly tiring. And, presumably, those passengers are likely loyal enough to Amtrak anyways.

If the simplified menu saves Amtrak money, I think this is a good move. Probably no reason to have a more expensive offering for the relatively small amount of passengers who travel long-distance so often that the menu would become overly tiring. And, presumably, those passengers are likely loyal enough to Amtrak anyways.
The original idea was that the Empire Builder was supposed to be a "premier" train (along with the CS). Everything "premier" about it seems to be going away, along with its intended schedule and connections. If they're no longer bothering to promote it as such, and it doesn't have a different menu (thanks, rickeycourtney), one wonders why they're still using china-equse plates and such. I bet it won't be long until that goes away too, and it's just a regular train.

Don't get me wrong, I like the EB, and I appreciate any effort Amtrak goes to when trying to make a particular route stand out or be different/better. I just don't entirely understand the marketing behind the EB right now.

On our trip in December, we found the menus pretty repetitive. The EB was different only in that the preparation was still better, and I like the "real" (as opposed to instant trash) tableware.

But I think it looks like they've decided not to "market" the EB until the problems are solved.

Finally, modern menus only exhibit a digit, and omit the useless $ sign.

Hamburger 7

Rather than the over named:

Hamburger $7.00 [very Weather Channeish]

The original idea was that the Empire Builder was supposed to be a "premier" train (along with the CS). Everything "premier" about it seems to be going away, along with its intended schedule and connections. If they're no longer bothering to promote it as such, and it doesn't have a different menu (thanks, rickeycourtney), one wonders why they're still using china-equse plates and such. I bet it won't be long until that goes away too, and it's just a regular train.
My understanding was the china has to do with the amount of kitchen staff. Part of the reason for going to plastic plates was so the 2nd Food Prep. employee would not be needed. On the Empire Builder.. the train is full enough to require additional staff so it makes sense to have the China... same thing with the Capitol and Starlight.

Hamburger 7

Does this mean that Amtrak will accept Bitcoin?

My understanding was the china has to do with the amount of kitchen staff. Part of the reason for going to plastic plates was so the 2nd Food Prep. employee would not be needed. On the Empire Builder.. the train is full enough to require additional staff so it makes sense to have the China... same thing with the Capitol and Starlight.
There's also a cost issue. With the china, you lose a certain amount to breakage and whatnot, but with plastic stuff it's a 100% loss every time. Amtrak explicitly looked at the possibility of using going to china as a medium-term cost saver in one of the PIPs, if I'm not mistaken.

Hamburger 7

It's not useless. 7 doesn't say anything. It could be £7 and what you thought was $7 on your credit card turns into $11.55. There's nothing illegal about accepting foreign currencies and presumably nothing illegal about listing your prices in foreign currencies. You are only legally obligated to accept American dollars for whatever price you listed.

There's also a cost issue. With the china, you lose a certain amount to breakage and whatnot, but with plastic stuff it's a 100% loss every time. Amtrak explicitly looked at the possibility of using going to china as a medium-term cost saver in one of the PIPs, if I'm not mistaken.
On one trip the LSA explained to me it actually costs MORE to use and throw away the Disposable Wear than to staff the Diner with a Dishwasher and use china. Plus you have that much more crap that has to be periodically hauled off the train and landfilled.

On one trip the LSA explained to me it actually costs MORE to use and throw away the Disposable Wear than to staff the Diner with a Dishwasher and use china. Plus you have that much more crap that has to be periodically hauled off the train and landfilled.
The disposable plates are recyclable. Now, whether Amtrak does that, I have no idea.

I'm not going to say definitively whether china or plasticware costs more, but in general, I doubt an LSA would actually know the true numbers. An LSA knows how to account for foodstock and revenue, but they're not going to know the total carrying costs of one FTE (full-time-equivalent) on every train on a route for an entire year, including overhead costs (benefits costs, extraboard costs to replace someone who marks off, training costs, etc.). It's doubtful they would even know the exact amount Amtrak pays for the plastic or china.

Hamburger 7

It's not useless. 7 doesn't say anything. It could be £7 and what you thought was $7 on your credit card turns into $11.55. There's nothing illegal about accepting foreign currencies and presumably nothing illegal about listing your prices in foreign currencies. You are only legally obligated to accept American dollars for whatever price you listed.
I get what you're saying, but I don't see the point in Amtrak listing prices in GBP or other foreign currencies. I don't know anyone who would question whether those prices are in USD or not.

Every time I see this thread I read the name like a standup comedian is saying it. Amtrak has improved their food in certain areas, and that's great, but the problem when riding long distances is that it's the same food over and over again. As the journey continues I spend less and less time in the diner, partly because it's impossible to burn more than a few calories per day lounging around on a train, but mostly because I simply get tired of eating the same thing over and over again.

Hamburger 7

I get what you're saying, but I don't see the point in Amtrak listing prices in GBP or other foreign currencies. I don't know anyone who would question whether those prices are in USD or not.
In practical terms, no, there's only a handful of places that do accept foreign currency in the US and limit it mainly to cash transactions. But the reason we put that $ in front is to assure you that its in USD. Probably dates back to the early 19th century, when there were two legal tenders in the US.

Just because there's a $ in front of the price doesn't mean it's in US dollars. There are other countries that use the same symbol for their money.

For that matter, there are lots of places where prices are listed without any kind of currency symbol attached. Yet, somehow, those transactions work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back