What wouldn't you pack on your next trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie_Roz

Train Attendant
I've been reading the posts here about things to pack for your LD trip, so I thought it would also be helpful to hear from people who took these trips before and discovered that they overpacked. So what did you find truly unneccesary and you'd never bother taking along again? What proved to be a useless space hog in your luggage?

A power strip. I never travel alone and in coach, there's 1 plug per seat on the Silvers. I kept taking a power strip thinking I would need it but never did. 1 plug seems to be enough for my purposes and if it's not, my seatmate has never had a problem letting me use theirs for a while.

I only pack clean clothes for each day and my netbook computer.

If I am going to be away for more than three days, I pack my

extra clean clothes in a separate luggage and check it. If I'm

going to be in a hotel for two nights, I have my laundry

done at the hotel.

However, for my wife, it is a different story!!!

I only pack clean clothes for each day and my netbook computer.

If I am going to be away for more than three days, I pack my

extra clean clothes in a separate luggage and check it. If I'm

going to be in a hotel for two nights, I have my laundry

done at the hotel.

However, for my wife, it is a different story!!!

But what WOULDN'T you take again?

In sleeper I would take less food--don't know why I thought I would starve. I would still take alchohol, but leave most of the snacks, especially those needing to stay cool.

Like most people traveling, I usually take clothing I dont need/wear so have to say Id take less clothes! Also I have quit taking my DVD player as I never use it, there is a live Movie on every Train you ride so just take it all in and enjoy the Journey! :wub:

In sleeper I would take less food--don't know why I thought I would starve. I would still take alchohol, but leave most of the snacks, especially those needing to stay cool.
Agreed! The last 2 long duration trips I took I ended up getting weighed down wagging around extra snacks I figured I would eat. On one of the trips I actually shed load about half way through and left some of them at the coffee station before switching to the next train. Eating 3 heavies a day from the Diner and then not getting sufficient exercise does nip the appetite :)

Agreed! The last 2 long duration trips I took I ended up getting weighed down wagging around extra snacks I figured I would eat. On one of the trips I actually shed load about half way through and left some of them at the coffee station before switching to the next train. Eating 3 heavies a day from the Diner and then not getting sufficient exercise does nip the appetite :)
+1

On my first LD trip last year, I brought along about a pound of fresh cherries, a big bag of pretzels and a jar of peanuts. I forced myself to eat the cherries so they wouldn't spoil, but the pretzels and peanuts made the entire round trip with me untouched. I have a big appetite, and even I don't need any more food than they serve in the diner 3 times a day. ;)

+1

On my first LD trip last year, I brought along about a pound of fresh cherries, a big bag of pretzels and a jar of peanuts. I forced myself to eat the cherries so they wouldn't spoil, but the pretzels and peanuts made the entire round trip with me untouched. I have a big appetite, and even I don't need any more food than they serve in the diner 3 times a day. ;)
Agreed on this. You get more than enough food from the diner. I found myself skipping the french toast some days (even though I love it) because I just did not need that much food for breakfast.

Paperback books. I always end up staring out the window anyway, they're heavy, and I can carry plenty of reading material on my e-reader. This summer's trip has a strict no-printed-books policy.

My Wife!!!
:lol: Your response gave me a big laugh. I know you are joking and I am sure your wife Anne is getting a laugh also.

My answer to the question is a DVD player, DVDs and books. On my first 2+ night trip, I brought a DVD player, 5 DVDs and 7 paperback books. I spent most of my time looking out the window, even at night. I had to force myself to watch one of the DVDs. Now, I bring a Kindle and my ipod with audio books downloaded. I can listen to books while looking out the window, however sometimes I do not want to be distracted, so I just look out the window and forgo the ipod.

Further to Shanghai's "wife" response, I would rather travel alone than with a friend/relative. Although I enjoyed my sister's company on my recent Acela trip, when traveling in a sleeper, I would much rather have the entire room to myself.

I usually do travel light. I found out that carrying laptop is a major hassle.
Maybe you can try a netbook computer or a tablet. My netbook is small and light

and much easier to carry. On the downside, the keyboard is smaller and the screen

is very small. I haven't tried a tablet yet.

My Wife!!!
Now, I bring a Kindle and my ipod with audio books downloaded. I can listen to books while looking out the window, however sometimes I do not want to be distracted, so I just look out the window and forgo the ipod.
I recently downloaded about a dozen audiobooks from my public library's web site onto my itty bitty Sansa MP3 player. Sure is a lot easier to carry around than a dozen printed books.

For our upcoming 3-week cross-country journey, I have decided to leave the laptop at home! I just hope I'm not a total wreck at the end, after going such a long time without a computer and without my AU fix.

I like to travel light.

Books, i had about 7 in my carryon for the ride from NYC-LAX (LSL/TE/SL) and read maybe half of 1.. Also even in coach i found i didnt eat half of the snacks i bought along!

With the exception of a magazine, I now leave all reading material at home and have migrated to a net book in place of the laptop. As for snacks...I never brought that much in the first place and now only bring a small bag of something or a couple of food bars if I expect to spend more than 8 hours in transit. I still bring an inflatable pillow if traveling overnight in coach, but could probably make do with out it.

Laptop and paperbacks. Last summer, I carried the laptop from Atlanta, New Orleans, Chicago and then shipped it back home in Los Angeles because it was just too much trouble. I left the books in station in Santa Barbara....again, too much trouble and I had not even opened them. I bought a Kindle a few months ago.

I won't bring my netbook, or as many books. I have a Nook Color that can do both. Also, I won't bring all the stuff I brought last time to "fix" any problems in the room, such as this list from last time:

1. A small flashlight – for use at night or to see stuff dropped under seats

2. 3 or 4 large pins like the diaper pins or safety pins (this is to keep the curtains closed at night)

3. Some small snack packs for nibbling

4. A roll of transparent tape

5. A very small sewing kit

6. A few Band-Aids

7. A few rubber bands

8. Moist towelettes.

9. Take along 12" or so of duct tape, wrapped around a ballpoint pen. Use the tape to silence any squeaky panels or fixtures inside your roomette. Bring even more, and some heavy folder-type paper, to cover excessive vents.

10. Wire - 16 or 18 gauge, to hold door shut

I think some of this stuff might be handy to have for frequent travelers. Since I'm only going to be on the train for two days, I figure if something breaks I can either get an attendant to try to fix it, or live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back