What works good to up load photos/movies

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mucomix

Service Attendant
We had a nice little trip from Lawrence to Albuquerque the other week and took the NMRR up to Santa Fe. (an AGR fall promo point run)

I would like to put some pictures and video up. I really enjoy pictures other people put up of their trips and I try to do the same. I have used Google Picasa in the past but but never really figured out what I was doing but could get it done sort of. I could get pictures on there in the end but I never knew how I got there.

My new camera takes video in the quick time format. When I try to upload video to Pacasa in the quick time format it will not take it any thoughts?

I would pay a few bucks a year for a no brainier photo/video sharing site. Go head a lay it on a click and drag old guy. That is the type of program I need click it drag it and it works.

We may need a teach the old guy section on this site...Nothing like trains to drag out the old wood.

Last I heard, Picasa has stopped accepting video uploads - cost cutting I think. YouTube accepts a number of video formats, and is popular and easy to use. Flickr is a popular photo site, besides Picasa. It also does video, but only very short clips. Some folks here at AU like, use, and recommend SmugMug. It costs - not a lot - and picture quality is better than Picasa or Flickr. IIRC offhand, GG-1 and MrFSS use SmugMug, and perhaps can help out with details.

Last I heard, Picasa has stopped accepting video uploads - cost cutting I think. YouTube accepts a number of video formats, and is popular and easy to use. Flickr is a popular photo site, besides Picasa. It also does video, but only very short clips. Some folks here at AU like, use, and recommend SmugMug. It costs - not a lot - and picture quality is better than Picasa or Flickr. IIRC offhand, GG-1 and MrFSS use SmugMug, and perhaps can help out with details.
I was converted to smugmug by folks here on the site its $35 a year but it does do drag and drop uploading. If you want host your videos there it goes up to $50 a year. A little hefty if you don't plan on uploading to much.

I would also recommend facebook for easy picture and video hosting which is free. :)

We took a nice little trip12/7-12/11 from Lawrence KS on the SWC to Albuquerque NM to make use of the Fall Double Point promo.

I must say I got a kick out of the fact the Conductor on the train when we got on at Lawrence knew me from other trips and we had a nice little visit a good way to start a trip. The west bound SWC has a long dwell time at Lawrence unless they need to make up time. The mail/freight stop at De Soto KS has not been taken out of the time table. It gives you time to get settled into bed.

As usual the crappers in the car I'm on quit working. In one of the videos the Mrs and the car attendant along with my self are talking about Amtrak s malfunctioning can's. We all know the story. It worked in the yard but we know it will fail along the line. If the car is upright and may stay on the track it is good to go. Given are location Roomettes work well and I don't to worked over it. But the day I get a real room and the can don't work they will never hear the end of it.

Over the Raton pass and on west on the way out there was a freezing fog that coated the trees very pretty to look at out the window.

We got to Albuquerque (the station is showing some wear scene we where there last spring) about on time and took a taxi to the Bottger Mansion B&B in old town. Nice room good location. It was the first time we have stayed at a B&B it was OK and will not speak poorly of it, but I don't think I'm a B&B type of guy.

We had a nice dinner in old town at the Church Street Cafe.

We took the NMRR up to Santa Fe it is a push pull configuration. The weather was bad I had my camera packed in my bag so no picture but in the lead car in push you can see the cab through the plexiglass glass that was fun

We went to Santa Fe to see something old and I think we found it. I will never go across the globe like others do and the Spanish have been here for a long time. To see a structure from around 1650. And the chapel from 1714. The Palace of the Governors. I will go back now that I know what to look for. And in better weather. There is a lot of history to be found in Santa Fe but it it has been displaced by other things.

I had to put one picture of my redneck tail light in after it was got at the station.

http://mucomix.smugmug.com/Travel/Santa-Fe...744896976_QhaGK

Let me know if this Smugmug thing is working right. I'm on the free 14 day right now.

Let me know if this Smugmug thing is working right. I'm on the free 14 day right now.
Works fine, both stills and video. GG-1 and Long Train Runnin' (and some others) get a discount along with you if you use them for referrals. These two have the code on their pages. I'm curious about how easy/hard you found the upload process. Did you try captions and give up, or not try?

Works fine, both stills and video. GG-1 and Long Train Runnin' (and some others) get a discount along with you if you use them for referrals. These two have the code on their pages. I'm curious about how easy/hard you found the upload process. Did you try captions and give up, or not try?
I found the up load easy if, If put it on an other file folder on the HD, not not right from the SD card.

Thanks for the heads up on discount codes/promo for them I will look of them.

The real test is if my Mother & Father can figure out how to open and view a video. Add my years + theirs and things get complicated. If the folks can figure it out I will gladly pay Smug Mug for that. I have two weeks to play with it.

The quality of my photos may be in question, but I have never taken a photo that would shame me on Sunday.

Out of this I did figure out how to put video up on YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha

I thought your pictures were very good. I don't know if you noticed, because you didn't mention the road in the distance, but considering the fog those cars were going way to fast.

I have lost track of how many pictures I have with Smugmug but I am over 3,000. I find the support extreemly good.

Mahalo for posting

Eric

That would be I 25 on the video from the SWC the train is slow in this section. On the way up to Santa Fe the NMRR runs between the lanes on the highway part of the way. That is cool to look out ether side and see cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back