What type of track do you use?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewliner

Engineer
Currently on my layout I use Atlas snap track, but I want to know what you guys use. I plan on getting a new table in a few months, and I'm not sure whether to use snap track or anything else. Any recommendations?

I would stick with Atlas a they are a trusted quality track manufacturer. Snap track works the best as it will give you uniform curves and straight-a-ways, requiring no cutting of track. There are two type of track Atlas offers, one is Code 83 and the other Code 100. I like Code 83 as it is more protypical in size to actualy track and ties. However, Code 100 is stronger and more durable. Also, don't use any curve with a radius smaller than 22" and if you can, 24" radius is best for passenger operations.

Well, for an HO scale layout, I'm partial to Roco's Rocoline track. It's code 83, comes with detachable rubber roadbed (which looks awesome and is quiet as anything! ^_^ ), and is available in a wide variety of pieces! (Rocoline is available in anything from squeaky yard only curves to wide 35" inch-radius ones and even some nice, wide 70" inch radius track!) Rocoline switches are some of the smoothest ones I've ever seen, and all trackage measures out "neatly" so that one way or another, all tracks fit together nicely.

I wish not to sound like a zealot, but Rocoline track is probably some of the best ballasted track out there for the simple reasons that it's available in more varieties than Kato Unitrack or Atlas Snap Track, and it's much better quality than Bachmann's EZ Trak. Try it! ^_^

By the way, the two best places to find Rocoline track are www.reynaulds.com and www.tee-usa.com. Both are European import shops and they carry the stuff at decent prices.

Oh yes, and I assume that since you run Amtrak equipment, Viewliner, you'll want nice wide radius curves. Twenty four pieces of R9 and R10 track gives you 32.5" and 35"-radius loops, fine for running Amtrak coaches. I use 10 degree switches on my layout and they're great for a smooth, relatively high-speed crossover or exit into my yard area. (Use 2 R20 pieces to make track parallel to a 10 degree turnout.)

One word of warning, though: The Rocoline switches are "DCC friendly," and I dare not try to power route them for fear of ruining them. If you still use old-fashioned DC control, find a way to stop power from going to each side of a switch, or upgrade to DCC. Otherwise, you will have an awkward time trying to control two trains at once if you do that.

Anyway, best of luck with your new layout construction! ^_^

(*subliminal message*Use Rocoline track!*subliminal message*) ^_~

Hello , the first question is, what theme you want to built. If you plan a USA layout, so the only choice is shinohara track, cause this track system has the right sleepers (distance)for main tracks. You can find it on

www.walthers.com

Kind regards

Amtrak X995

You'd be surprised Alan, I'm in the middle of the scantily clad hot women capital of the U.S. There's nothing like South Beach baby.

I model "O" ga. trolley and take Atlas snap track and tear it up throwing the ties away. I then spike it down to individual hand laid and painted ties with 4 spikes to the tie. It comes out to about 90 pound rail in 1/4 " scale. Just what interurban lines often used. It looks great, not like the trains are running on I beams. The ties are 1/8 x 3/16 basswood. In the paved streets I use code 125. I cover the rail with plaster and hand carve the individual bricks with an exacto knife. It took about five years but with Q car manholes and curb gutters it looks great. The "O" scale flanges will clear the ties with the code 85 Atlas. Who does this anymore? I also have On2 next to Chicago and use hand laid code 70 with individual ties. Good luck and don't be afraid to experiment. Charlesscottking@aol,com :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back