What kinds of beer are served on the Crescent and Silver Meteor?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg

Hi!

I'm planning a trip on the Crescent and Silver Meteor trains later this month. What kinds of beer are served on these trains?

Last time I was on the Meteor, they had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Any Pliny the Elder sightings?

russian-river-pliny-the-elder.jpg

Tap is usually the best, some bottles are pretty good, cans (with a few exceptions like the nitrogen bladder Guinness can) usually a distant third. I haven't had enough of the new spun aluminum bottles to reach a decision yet.

Coors Light for $12??It's not Yankee Stadium!

Uncle Walt is rolling in his Grave!
It was Oracle Arena in Oakland. While the cost of parking varies depending on whether it's a Warriors/Raiders/A's game, a concert, or an ice show, the menu prices are static.

I think it was 18 oz in a plastic cup. And people were buying it. There was also "premium" beers for $13 for a 12 oz cup. The only one I saw open with beer had Coors Light and Blue Moon.

Walt died before there was ever a Disney on Ice. They're run by Feld Entertainment, which also does other shows like Ringling Bros.

Tap is usually the best, some bottles are pretty good, cans (with a few exceptions like the nitrogen bladder Guinness can) usually a distant third. I haven't had enough of the new spun aluminum bottles to reach a decision yet.
There's nothing inherently bad about beer in a can. In fact, some respected breweries are putting their best product in cans. It protects the product against light much better and cools faster. The main issue was that most beer sold in cans were cheap beers. Also - drinking straight out of a can does lead to a "metallic" feel that isn't there once it's poured into a cup.

There's nothing inherently bad about beer in a can. In fact, some respected breweries are putting their best product in cans. It protects the product against light much better and cools faster. The main issue was that most beer sold in cans were cheap beers. Also - drinking straight out of a can does lead to a "metallic" feel that isn't there once it's poured into a cup.
Nearly all breweries put their best product in cans. It's called a keg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nearly all breweries put their best product in cans. It's called a keg.
Most canned beer is pasteurized so they can be stored without refrigeration.

Kegs generally need to be stored cold since they're not pasteurized, or else they go through secondary fermentation.

Interesting debate on how this affects the beer.

Beer, unlike many other alcoholic beverages, does not age or take most storage well. Fresher is almost always better. I lik what D/A said about the keg. Never really thought of it in that way.

Beer, unlike many other alcoholic beverages, does not age or take most storage well. Fresher is almost always better. I lik what D/A said about the keg. Never really thought of it in that way.
Depends on the beer. As I noted, most kegs don't have pasteurized beer. They're sold to professionals who are expected to keep them cold and use them within a month or so. Bottles and cans may be stored longer.

There really should be no difference between the same beer that's bottled or canned, unless there something different about the contents or there's poor storage. All other things being equal, a can protects the contents better than a bottle.

True, but Heiny has a bit more body than Bud.

Budweiser is supposed to be a German beer brewed in America, but now bought by Germans.

If you want good beer, you gotta grow your own hops and barley.

Don't forget Heineken is available on most trains.
Yeah, but it's the brewed by Budweiser here in the USA stuff, not the Good European version!
All U.S. Heineken beers are brewed and bottled in the Netherlands and shipped via sea to various demand points in the United States. When a distributor accepts an order using HOPS, the shipment leaves the closest demand point and is quickly trucked to the distributor. Distributors then deliver the beer to its final destination at restaurants, bars and stores. It is essential that the order entry process run quickly and dependably to ensure fast product delivery, freshness and customer satisfaction.

Taken from the Heineken web page. One of my favorite beers,I did a tour of the brewery in Amsterdam in 2002 and have never looked back,def not american brewed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back