What is the best side (odd or even numbers) for a roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tmbrhwk

MODERATOR NOTE: This thread was started by OP when a guest and was in the guest forum. The OP later became a member and started an almost identical thread in the Amtrak Forum. The two threads have been merged into the Amtrak Forum thread.

We are going west from Chicago on the SW Chief and back east on the CA Zephyr. Which side on each train provides the best views? Please let me know the best side by odd or even numbers. Thanks, Jim

Last edited:
We are going west from Chicago on the SW Chief and back east on the CA Zephyr. Which side on each train provides the best views? Please let me know the best side by odd or even numbers. Thanks, Jim
Won't know till you're on the train as they can be positioned facing either way when the put the consist together.

The views either side are spectacular on the Zephyr, especially through the mountains. I'm taking that very same route tomorrow, coach the whole way. I've taken it a few times before over the years, and never had a bad experience. There is also the cafe downstairs area, and other places to sit or walk around to see things. Have a fun journey!

Last edited by a moderator:
As said, the sleepers can be positioned in either direction, bedrooms first or roomettes first. In fact, I've been on many trains where 1 sleeper had the odd numbers on one side, and the next sleeper had the odd numbers on the opposite side! Thus, until you board you don't know.

We are going west from Chicago on the SW Chief and returning on the CA Zephyr. Which side on each train provides the best views? Please let me know the best side for each train by odd or even numbers. Thank you, Jim

Since one never knows which direction the sleeper will be in the consist, you can not plan in advance for odd or even. Sometimes the bedrooms are on the forward side of the train and another train the opposite, just depends how the yard assembles the consist.

If your room doesn't work out, the Sightseer Lounge (SSL) car is the place to be/
On the EB between Seattle and Spokanne there isn't a SSL is there? Where can you go sit or stand to look out the windows if your roomette is on the "wrong side"?

We are going west from Chicago on the SW Chief and returning on the CA Zephyr. Which side on each train provides the best views? Please let me know the best side for each train by odd or even numbers. Thank you, Jim
As mentioned a couple of times, roomette numbers (odd or even) cannot be used to determine what side of the train you are on at the time of booking. The car can be physically oriented either way in the consist.

I'm new to trains too, but from what I've been told in general the right hand side of the train may be a little better on the Chief headed west, but it's kind of the luck of the draw which side of the train your room ends up on. We have 2 upper level roomettes going west with one roomette on each side. They are not quite straight across from each other as we'd like but diagonally across so we're close enough. I had to call and have a rep modify our res to get that. Coming back the train is pretty full, so we're stuck on the lower level , rooms on the same side, but we are right next to each other.

I will add. On some routes they MAY be some predictability as to side of train. My experience with the Coast Starlight is that the bedrooms (and hence even numbered roomettes) tend to be on the west side of #14 northbound and on the east side for the return on #11. There is always some chance that the "turn" at one end or the other could differ from the normal and throw any predictability out the window!

FWIW, on my westbound trip on the SWC last August, our bedroom (and the even numbered roomettes) were on the south side of the train. Is it always like that? I don't know.

Either way, enjoy your trips in the roomettes you wind up in.

If your room doesn't work out, the Sightseer Lounge (SSL) car is the place to be/
On the EB between Seattle and Spokanne there isn't a SSL is there? Where can you go sit or stand to look out the windows if your roomette is on the "wrong side"?
That is correct, and if there is not a meal time in progress I would ask the dining car staff it you could sit in there for a while.

I will add. On some routes they MAY be some predictability as to side of train. My experience with the Coast Starlight is that the bedrooms (and hence even numbered roomettes) tend to be on the west side of #14 northbound and on the east side for the return on #11. There is always some chance that the "turn" at one end or the other could differ from the normal and throw any predictability out the window!

FWIW, on my westbound trip on the SWC last August, our bedroom (and the even numbered roomettes) were on the south side of the train. Is it always like that? I don't know.

The Lake Shore Limited, for the most part, have the bedrooms all on the left side of the train. with the bedrooms going towards the coach/back of the train

The consist varies from trip to trip. As a frequent Zeph rider the south side (right side eastbound) is only slightly better than the north. It is a compelling four hours, best scenery in America - although the north is superior for about 20 miles (when running across the river from the interstate). As previously mentioned there is always the lounge car,,,

IT's a tossup in the Sierra's although slightly better on the north (left side)

As mother used to say if this trip doesn't make you happy, nothing will.

kick back, relax and enjoy

The Lake Shore Limited, for the most part, have the bedrooms all on the left side of the train. with the bedrooms going towards the coach/back of the train
The LSL runs with single level equipment, which *is* somewhat predictable, because of the cars having vestibules at one end only. Egress from the Superliners is in the center of the car, making their orientation far more random.

For the SW Chief, I prefer the north side of the train. For the CZ, the north side is best from Donner Pass to Truckee. South side Provo to Helper. North side Helper to Ruby Canyon, where you join the Colo River. South ( river) side from there to Glenwood Springs, then North side thru Glenwood Canyon. Stay on the river side from State Bridge to Fraser, then stick to the north side to Denver.

Wheat and corn fields are the same on both sides from Denver to Chicago.

For the SW Chief, I prefer the north side of the train. For the CZ, the north side is best from Donner Pass to Truckee. South side Provo to Helper. North side Helper to Ruby Canyon, where you join the Colo River. South ( river) side from there to Glenwood Springs, then North side thru Glenwood Canyon. Stay on the river side from State Bridge to Fraser, then stick to the north side to Denver.

Wheat and corn fields are the same on both sides from Denver to Chicago.
I'm a tad confused by this, especially since a) we're taking this trip in reverse (westbound), and b) we don't have a GPS so I'm never exactly sure where we are between station stops.

To summarize, would it be fair to say that the north side of the CZ is generally better except for the following:

A) Helper, Utah to Provo, Utah

B) Green River, Utah to Glenwood Springs, CO

I don't know, I enjoyed the south side better between Reno and Truckee, as well as between Granby and Dotsero. YMMV.

Viewliners are consistently directional; Superliners can be either way.

I ride the Coast Starlight a lot, it is my home train, and sleeper placement on the Starlight is as inconsistent as any other train. Frequently the cars are oriented differently from one another in the same consist (one car roomettes front, another roomettes rear). There is no "normal." Don't raise your expectations.

It will generally be dark between Provo and Helper while on the Zephyr.

From Grand Junction to Glenwood Springs you'll want to be in the Sightseer Lounge so it rally doesn't matter which side your room is on on these legs.

There is a way to fix this. Wait until you get on the train and it pulls from the station. Then, if you're on a side you don't want, you can ask your Sleeping car attendant if there's going to be anyone coming along who is going to be occupying the room you want. Chances are there won't be.

So then you have a choice. You can stay in your roommette, ask the attendant to switch you to the other room, or just sit in the other room with a better view when the scenery demands it and then go back to your own room for everything else. I did this on my trip on the SWC, and although all rooms would eventually be occupied, until they got there, she let me sit in the other room to look at the scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back