What is it about a roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The roomette In the day is good for my wife and me- I'm 5'10 and 380 lbs, and she is 4'11" and about 115lbs. At night it would be good if I fit in the bed more comfortably.

My friend and I enjoyed our roomettes, but must acknowledge that we enjoyed our bedrooms ever more. We developed a "system" for the roomettes--took turns opening our bags at night, hung the next day's clothes on the racks, and my friend stood on the little toilet to get to the mirror to put on her make up. :) Tight for two but thoroughly fun! :)

And, I thought I was alone in my reasons for enjoying a sleeper!

Every comment for traveling by sleeper applies to me.

I would, also, add having a cocktail in the privacy of my room before dinner is a ritual.

I love traveling by roomette as well. I am a pretty quiet person who almost never gets bored, but I do find myself getting inexplicably anxious when the train is stopped for long periods for mechanicals or passing freights...I think a lot of the "magic" of the train is the hypnotic motion and ever changing scenery while gliding through the countryside.

My first train trip was on the Coast Starlight. My husband was tucked away in the upper bunk and I was on a mission. We would always drive up to Oregon and take the bridge that goes over Lake Shasta and I wanted to know how the dang train did it. Unfortunately, it does this feat at 3 a.m. I woke up around Redding and then went to the Pacific Parlour Car and saw only my stinking reflection! Argh.... so after a few groggy minutes, I went back to our cozy roomette and that is when I fell in love with train travel and our traveling space capsule.... the train was snaking oh so slowly through the mountain... it was dark outside and I sat mesmerized while I watched the front of the train light the beautiful red rock and then turned back and watched the back of the train flowing behind... easy and slow and flowing with the landscape instead of bashing it's way.... I stayed awake far, far too long and finally feel asleep. My husband woke me up tapping me gently in the early a.m and pointed to Mt Shasta right outside our window. That was just the beginning of our wonderful memories in our little roomette! I still can't believe it's only been 2 years and we've done so much and shared so many happy memories in our many roomettes.

My wife and I had two roomettes across from each other. I think that was better because it ensured we were able to ride forward. In a bedroom, you may end up going backwards.

Also, I think I would not like riding the whole trip with the door closed. The only time we would close the door was to go to the bathroom and at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like a roomette, cause u can keep the door open at night, for the air circulation, while at the same time, have the curtain closed for privacy

I travel by myself in a roomette too although this April I took a long trip in bedrooms because I had so many AGR points stacked up it seemed like a good idea. But I don't mind going right back to my usual roomette and for the same reasons as so many others here. Cozy and private-perfect! As a rule I have my meals brought to the room although on occasion I make it to the dining car.

In April there was a full moon while we were running along the Columbia river and it was truly beautiful. I prefer to be on the train during full moon so I can see a distance. Love it. Wish I was out there tonight.

When I see the term "Roomette", I can't help but think about the original Pullman accommodation for one that it designated I used to travel twice a year between Denver and New York, and on the CZ to Chicago, I would go coach to economize, and then reward myself with either a Single Slumbercoach or Roomette on the second night on The Broadway Limited..

Let me tell you, there is no better feeling of well being, then lying in the dark, on crisp snowy linen, under a warm blanket, and raise your shade enough to see the bright moonlit, snow covered landscape, on a clear wintry night, as you glide around the Horseshoe Curve, or along the beautiful Juniata River....it just doesn't get any better than that..... :)

For western LD trips, I prefer a bedroom, but in the east, I have to go with a roomette. The reason is that I've never been on a Viewliner that has a properly functioning HVAC system. The bedroom half is always boiling, and the roomette half is always cold. I'll take cold over boiling any day.

When I see the term "Roomette", I can't help but think about the original Pullman accommodation for one that it designated I used to travel twice a year between Denver and New York, and on the CZ to Chicago, I would go coach to economize, and then reward myself with either a Single Slumbercoach or Roomette on the second night on The Broadway Limited..

Let me tell you, there is no better feeling of well being, then lying in the dark, on crisp snowy linen, under a warm blanket, and raise your shade enough to see the bright moonlit, snow covered landscape, on a clear wintry night, as you glide around the Horseshoe Curve, or along the beautiful Juniata River....it just doesn't get any better than that..... :)
Sure hope they put a sleeper on the Pennsylvanian soon so we can experience that same feeling.. :)

Sure hope they put a sleeper on the Pennsylvanian soon so we can experience that same feeling.. :)
Yes, it would be nice. Only thing is, that portion of the trip would then be in daylight...I'd rather see them leave the Pennsylvanian as is, or run the eastbound train later, and restore the Broadway, and have it leave Chicago late afternoon.....say around 4PM, leave Pittsburgh around 2:40 AM, and arrive Philly at around 9:45 AM and NYP around 11:40 AM.....

We enjoy the roomette, and my partner likes it a lot, and gives him time to himself and read. He's glued to the Kindle, and I am glued to the window. I do go into the lounge car and meet people. On our trip back home from VAC, we did the bedroom knowing the train is sold out, and the lounge would be packed, so us and another couple hung out in the room with no issue..

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1407683742.337125.jpg

-Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum App.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back