What happens with service disruptions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today sometime after noon Amtrak cancelled the evening Roanoke NER at WAS citing unavailablity of operators if you can believe it. What happens to the VA pax? What will happen to ME one of these times?
At that hour there is no other public transit available.

Tomorrow I notice only the morning regional, 151, is offered. 51, 145 and 19 are sold out. Interesting. In all of my many trips over 10 years I have never seen one of these trains full. Never.

I don’t know what they did last night, but this morning’s nb passengers are being bused from Roanoke to WAS.
Perhaps the “sold out” sb trains are due to them reaccommodating 147’s passengers on those trains.

That will be quite a few buses this morning. There are always at least 100 people boarding in CVS alone. It's a 9 car train. I know because I sometimes walk down to watch the 3-train-meet Sunday mornings.
My guess is that at least one of those 8 coach cars is closed off till at least WAS. It's a common thing they do if they don't need a car for part of the journey (due to ticket sales numbers)

TY, AB. I wonder if the bustitution included all stations or just RNK. Curious that they don't say. I couldn't walk down to the station this morning. I'll bet it was pandemonium. They usually have 2 or 3 uniformed employees on the platform yelling but still people try to board the first train that appears regardless of their destination.

I notice the option to text the Amtrak#. Has anyone tried that? Is there a response? Any quicker than phone?

Back