What good foods do you take with you?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm going to spend a lot of time in coach, I usually throw an MRE in my bag and graze on the components over time.

I'll always pack along some stinky cheese, carrots, celery and a LARGE thermos of Manhattans for my all too frequent California-Iowa-California trips. Always overpack in case there is a delay. The store in the Grand Junction station can be a lifesaver, but the selection is pretty limited

I'll always pack along some stinky cheese, carrots, celery and a LARGE thermos of Manhattans for my all too frequent California-Iowa-California trips. Always overpack in case there is a delay. The store in the Grand Junction station can be a lifesaver, but the selection is pretty limited
So, would that be called the Grand Juncton Limited ?

Oh come on, you people have no sense of Humor

I'm just an undisciplined eater. If I bring candy bars, beef jerky, chips, etc., they'll be gone in 20 minutes after I board. Sigh.

My contribution to this line of questioning is powdered drinks. One 16.9 oz water bottle, and refill with the trains potable water. It doesn't taste all the good by itself, but the lightweight powders make the water much more drinkable.

I did the CZ last week, with my standard food regiment: finger food for breakfast and lunch, and then eat in the dinning car for dinner. The finger food varies with what's my current favorites - this trip it was: macadamia and pistachio nuts; dried cherries, dried pineapple rings, dried kiwi slices and dried cranberries; watermelon seeds and pumpkin seeds; pilot biscuits; and real sugar Mtn Dews. I don't think any of the food has any odor/aroma, ie, no bother to other passengers; likewise most can be poured from their respective bags, and those that can't require only the minimal finger washing after the fact. I like the dried fruit and nuts in that they don't require refrigeration, nominally won't go bad over time, and calorically are "high density," ie, plenty of calories per small volume. At dinner time I tend to do the steak or other meat dish. All said and done, find that I'm not hungry or craving anything by the time I get off the train, ie, the collection seems to be satisfying the body's needs. YMMV

I'm just an undisciplined eater. If I bring candy bars, beef jerky, chips, etc., they'll be gone in 20 minutes after I board. Sigh.
My contribution to this line of questioning is powdered drinks. One 16.9 oz water bottle, and refill with the trains potable water. It doesn't taste all the good by itself, but the lightweight powders make the water much more drinkable.
I bring one of my backpacking 1 liter repurposed Gatorade bottles - which I fill from the train's potable water, but to kill/change the "flavor" thereof, will throw a gram of vitamin C powder in - gives the water a lemon'ed water flavor, and seems (though probably my imagination) to head off the colds that I used to get while traveling in close company with sneezing/coughing passengers.

On the CZ (19) had one passenger spend too much time trying to decide what to buy there... ended up getting left behind. Luckily the store owner was willing to drive him and his kid to catch up with the CZ, but left the train sitting on the main track for 15 minutes waiting for such to happen... wasn't a pretty scene: he was angry at everyone on the train or worked for Amtrak for leaving him behind; and most on the train were unhappy with him for being so clueless and causing the CZ to be even later than it already was.... ie, small store, even with limited selections, can cause problems. ;-(

I bring our own alcohol, cheese, and boiled eggs (plus own died coke if I have room). I have brought tuna but didn't open the can due to potential unpleasant smell for others. If I'm in business class instead of roomette, I am very discrete with the alcohol.
This is to say that it died in the can before you even opened it?? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I bring our own alcohol, cheese, and boiled eggs (plus own died coke if I have room). I have brought tuna but didn't open the can due to potential unpleasant smell for others. If I'm in business class instead of roomette, I am very discrete with the alcohol.
This is to day that it died in the can before you even opened it?? :)
Indeed, I suppose, only to day. :D

The closest I ever came to being in a riot was when a couple from Singapore cut open a durian fruit and started to eat it on the Butterworth to Singapore overnight train. Imagine limburger cheese left in a warm corner of your kitchen for a couple weeks, durian smells worse.

I will stick with Planters mixed nuts and Fresca.

This is to day that it died in the can before you even opened it?? :)
Indeed, I suppose, only to day. :D
Washed my hands... and can't do a thing with them ;-(

Beef jerky, cheese cubes, apple slices, peanut butter "singles", ham roll-ups, grapes, berries, and whatever sugary delights my boyfriend feels like bringing.

I eat the fridge stuff the first day and the "pantry stuff" the second day.

This is when we ride Coach, obviously. When we ride in a Sleeper, the meals are so filling we don't need snacks. In fact, we usually eat dinner pretty late because we're so stuffed from lunch.

The closest I ever came to being in a riot was when a couple from Singapore cut open a durian fruit and started to eat it on the Butterworth to Singapore overnight train. Imagine limburger cheese left in a warm corner of your kitchen for a couple weeks, durian smells worse. I will stick with Planters mixed nuts and Fresca.
I had never considered such: but a durian in coach - one would immediately have the car to them self... the mind boggles at the possibilities. [on Java the public busses have the international "no" (red circle with slash though it) and a durian in the middle... equally one has to wonder why one would eat a durian when mangosteens are so much better, and half the price.]

I am taking my 3 sons on the zepher again soon :) I take pita bread and sandwich fixings(freeze the lunch meat ahead in small bags helps it keep longer), jerky, mixed nuts, cut up vegetables with dressing, celery with almond butter, crackers and cheese,yogurts, fruit, and frozen drinks to keep it cold. It lasts well and and you can usually get ice if you ask nicely.

I have Celiac Disease, which is an intolerance to gluten (found in wheat, barley, and rye and therefore any food product made with these grains). From my experiences on both the Regional and Adirondack, the food in the lounge car is not gluten-free friendly, save for candy bars and beverages. Therefore, I always pack my own food when traveling. I take the Keystone Service line occasionally, and there is no food service anyway on those trains. Here's what I pack:

I take a small cooler, and put cheese and ring baloney in it (lunch meat also is great for this). I also purchase soda at a convenience store before boarding (usually 2-3 20 oz. bottles). When I traveled on the Adirondack, I also brought two 2-liter soda bottles along, Lays STAX chips, and pretzels (my parents were traveling with me). I use a couple of those cooler freezer packs, which keep the food cold for the whole trip. Depending if I'm sleeping over at my destination, I then refreeze the ice packs in the freezer (I always get a hotel room with a refrigerator), and restock at a local grocery store for the return trip. Otherwise, if I take a day trip, the freezer packs stay cold for the whole trip.

Most of what I bring has been mentioned, almonds, cashews (I usually bring raw as the salt in salted nuts makes me insufferably thirsty and with water at $2+ a bottle, no thank you), Larabars, etc. One thing I bring that I haven't seen anyone mention is coconut butter. It's a bit more expensive than peanut butter but I LOVE coconut. If you're traveling during colder months, it's very solid so bring a good, durable spoon. If you're traveling when it's warmer, it will be a lot more liquid and even a thin plastic spoon will do. Very calorie dense and filling. Works great with other snacks too. Great to dip apples or any kind of fruit in. Awesome to dip a little dark chocolate in. When it's more solid I tend just to eat it by itself. There is also a chocolate version of it mildly sweetened with agave that's very good by itself (tastes a little like brownie batter although not as sweet and way way better for you).

I have a rolling cooler that holds 12 sodas or lots of snacks, I was wondering what people use that stays frozen the longest? I know there is a CVS across the street in Chicago, or there used to be, so I could get ice for the second train, but wondering if there is something besides ice cubes to use?

We have ice packs designed for coolers. They stay frozen a lot longer than ice cubes (and they're good for injuries too).

The CVS is still open, by the way. :) It's a great place to stop for last-minute items.

A great breakfast I tend to bring is a Tupperware with granola, powdered milk, and (if wanted) some sugar all mixed up. In the morning I just add milk from the fountain, mix and eat.

Brie Cheese lasts a long time refrigerated as does summer sausage. add the two with some bread & some Mustard, and you have yourself a nice lunch sandwich. For hot meals you can get these little water heater coils that plug into a standard outlet and will boil a cup of water pretty quickly. Bringing one can allow you to make your own coffee (probably instant) or tea, as well as other 'just-add-hot-water' foods like Pot Noodles.

peter

The closest I ever came to being in a riot was when a couple from Singapore cut open a durian fruit and started to eat it on the Butterworth to Singapore overnight train. Imagine limburger cheese left in a warm corner of your kitchen for a couple weeks, durian smells worse. I will stick with Planters mixed nuts and Fresca.
The aroma smell odor stench of durian would be enough to clear the most hardened lounge lizzards out of the SSL. :eek:

I never bring food on to a train. That's what the Dining Car and Café car are for!
That would be fine if you have unlimited money and yes if I was financially able, I would eat every meal and snack like that also. But some of us are on fixed income, myself disability, I bring food with me to safe money for fun after I get where I am going.

One slight issue that I find with buying food in most major U.S. cities is that it is quite hard to find real fresh fruit and healthy snacks. Drug stores and "kwicky marts" tend to have minimal fresh items, and that is often packaged , and supermarkets seem to be out of town, away from easy reach by pedestrians en route to the rail station!

Ed :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back