What does your Forum User Name mean?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's an odd story. I'm of Welsh descent, though my family came to New England in 1646. I read somewhere in some geneological papers that my forebears came from an old Welsh manor called Penrydd, but, years later, I recalled it as Penfrydd. After twenty years of having a B&B named Penfrydd Farm (since closed), why bother changing it back?

Interestingly, the word "Penrydd" means "wayward" in Welsh. There are legions of folks that would say that that describes me fairly well. So I may change the farm name to "Wayward Farm".

I wanted to be cool with SarahZ, PennyK, and JebR, so I added the "S".
Of course if Sarah decided to return to her original handle, Sorcha, then you won't have as much company as you currently do. :lol: Rumor has it that she changed her name only for the Gathering.

Of course if Sarah decided to return to her original handle, Sorcha, then you won't have as much company as you currently do. :lol: Rumor has it that she changed her name only for the Gathering.
Nope. I'm keeping it. :) This is the only forum where I use my real name, so it took some adjusting, but I like it. It feels more "real".

NorthShore: because I like to fancy myself as stereotypical rich and uppity (neither of which I actually am - well, maybe occasionally uppity)

It's a tribute to the historic North Shore Line interurban (Chicago to Milwaukee - and Mundelein) as well as an indicator of my interest in electric railroading and transit.

I'd have used SouthShore, since that railroad still exists, but I'm not a South Sider.

I completely forgot you on the list!
I was also reminded that we only get a name change once every 180 days, so by the time I'm eligible for another, this will be the new norm.

I was also reminded that we only get a name change once every 180 days, so by the time I'm eligible for another, this will be the new norm.
Well you can only change it every 180 days on your own. A friendly note to your favorite Admin or Forum Manager can get it changed any time.

Two of my main hobbies are soccer and trains. For those of you that are not English soccer/football fans, Fulham is a mid to lower level EPL team, but one that I saw play when I was in London as a kid. I also rode British Rail many times during my stay, mainly the old Southern Region out if Victoria Street and Waterloo Stations. My school was right next to the mainline out of Paddington, but this was a few years before the HST's came on board. I believe at that time (1974) they were testing the APT tilt train. I got to know some of the diesel classes at that time, but have forgetten them all these years later.

Simple - my Significant Other's grandchildren can't call me Grampa so it was simply "MrKen", then when I moved to

Florida it became "MrKenFL" . I use it as my nick on a lot of websites and forums !

engr08, this name describes itself. Engineer for a railroad and the 08 is the year I marked up to run solo.

I use the name "Lil Racer" as it represents a public charity which I founded in 2005. I run an organization that entertains young racing fans in Eastern Iowa. I am a HUGE railroad fan who grew up along a small shortline railroad called the "Charles City Western Railroad".

I've been on the forum a while but never posted in this thread. My forum name describes one of my biggest interests (skiing). For a long time I was really into freestyle skiing (which encompasses skiing in terrain parks, halfpipes and manmade moguls). I was even on the freestyle skiing team at my first high school, and when i signed up for Twitter a while back I chose this name since I'm a Freeskier living in Vermont. It ended up sticking with me across most of the social networks and websites I use.

My username means my love for the engine you can see on the left, the French X996. (A locomotive Amtrak, unlike me, didn't really appreciate... :) ).

Even if I enjoy seeing the AEM-7 on the NEC, I would have loved admiring an american version of the CC21000.

Unfortunately, even if this type of locomotives were very successful in France, they behaved poorly on the NEC tracks. The "little" swedish Rc was much more adapted to the type of rails seen in the 70s in the Corridor. I bet if Alsthom and SNCF had chosen the smaller BB15000, it would have been a tougher contest for the swedish side. But the stubborn french engineers wanted to impress the Amtrak staff with their "state of art" locomotive. An overproud choice that costed them a lot.

New to the forum, love taking EB to Chi then onto Grand Rapids or Battle Creek. wx is military shorthand for weather, grl is girl, put it together and you have a nerdy female who loves meterology! I have taken the Empire Builder about 5,6 times from Far to Chi then on to GR or Battle Creek in MI. It has been about 2 yrs now since I have ridden Amtrak and from reading all the woes the EB is having due to the oil boom west of here, probably won't be taking it any time soon. Thanks to all on here who share valuable knowledge regarding the various Amtrak trains, BNSF, ect. Much appreicated! :)

I have been coming to this site as a guest with the handle (gone fishing) for about a month in preparation for my west coast trip. I have had a fun time and learned much. I became a member because of the train knowledge, humor, and passion here.

My new member name will be mkeroad My grandfather was a conductor on the Milwaukee Road and the Hiawatha. My mother took a free ride to Cal. and back at 17. I was able to show a card he gave me to ride from MKE-CHI free when I was as young as 15

Mine's a cryptic code describing what I did in my former life. Figure it out at your peril...

Back