What does your Forum User Name mean?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We chose our name for the train that would be closest to our house, if it still existed, and for the fact that we live off-grid with a large garden, and are sometimes called pioneers. There are no trains right by where we live: if you take a map of Oregon, divide it into an east half and a west half, and put your finger down right in the center of the east half, you'd be real close. We must go 5 hours south to Winnemucca (California Zephyr), 4 hours north to Pasco (Empire Builder), or 3 hours west to Bend (shuttle bus to Coast Starlight @ Chemult) to catch a train, but it hasn't stopped us. Still, we'd love to have the Oregon Pioneer back, since it would be only 90 minutes northeast to Baker City for us.

we'd love to have the Oregon Pioneer back, since it would be only 90 minutes northeast to Baker City for us.
I miss the Pioneer, and the Desert Wind, also!
sad.gif
I wish they would both come back, but UP wants too much ransom (er - compensation)!
ohmy.gif

Oooops! I actually meant carbon14 since the amount, or lack there of, can be used to date an organic object up to 40,000 years old! I love science and am always reading or watching a show about it!

For post #1, this thread looks as good as any!

Now, any railbuff around in the era of 1960s TV will remember the venerable (and fictional) C. & F. W. Railroad ... as blazened on the side of the tender and coach of the 1891 wood-burning Hooterville Cannonball, #3.

Chicago & Fort Worth? What the letters stood for was never explained. Just knew that the line would shuttle you between Sam Drucker's store and the Shady Rest Hotel.

Can I shed my britches and hop into the water tower?

Lots o' curves? You bet!

Well, my name means that I love the SWADIANS!
And what, pray tell, is a Swadian? Just curious.

Mine is pretty self explanitory-After a stint with a Class 1 RR as a Conductor/Engineer, I have been working in the Shortline Railroad industry for most of the last decade. All of the fun, none of the nasty crew hotels!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, my name means that I love the SWADIANS!
And what, pray tell, is a Swadian? Just curious.

Mine is pretty self explanitory-After a stint with a Class 1 RR as a Conductor/Engineer, I have been working in the Shortline Railroad industry for most of the last decade. All of the fun, none of the nasty crew hotels!
If I told you it would not be interesting! Go look for yourself! :)

Mine is rather simple- A Braniff International Boeing 747SP-27. Way before my time, but an amazing aircraft. Why did I choose this? When I first joined an airplane forum I wanted something that anyone with a bit of knowledge could visualize. I could have also picked "American727" or something of the sort, but there have been a zabillion of those, and they where not particularly memorable.

n603bn.jpg

Mine is rather simple- A Braniff International Boeing 747SP-27. Way before my time, but an amazing aircraft. Why did I choose this? When I first joined an airplane forum I wanted something that anyone with a bit of knowledge could visualize. I could have also picked "American727" or something of the sort, but there have been a zabillion of those, and they where not particularly memorable.

n603bn.jpg
I love those! Never got to see one in action, unfortunately.

Back many years when I was posted in Saudi Arabia, I flew the Pan Am 747SP from

JFK to Saudi several times. It was one of the earlier models and rattled and

cracked all of the way!! It was a non-stop flight and usually packed with people.

Later in my career, I flew the 747-400 in Asia and then to the 777 in Europe.

The 777 is my favorite airplane but I much prefer a Viewliner or Superliner!!

I like the 747 better than the 777. The 747 was a lot better with the old 2-4-3 config. It also looks better, IMO. A 3-4-3 config on a 777 would be a horrer in my expierience.

I love those! Never got to see one in action, unfortunately.
Yeah- so do I. I've only ever seen one of the Las Vegas Sands ones, and that was parked in LAS. I still hope to be able to fly the IR ones one day...

Back many years when I was posted in Saudi Arabia, I flew the Pan Am 747SP from

JFK to Saudi several times. It was one of the earlier models and rattled and

cracked all of the way!! It was a non-stop flight and usually packed with people.

Later in my career, I flew the 747-400 in Asia and then to the 777 in Europe.

The 777 is my favorite airplane but I much prefer a Viewliner or Superliner!!
You're lucky! I'd give an arm and a leg to be able to fly on one. (Or to fly on PA, for that matter. That was before my time, too.)

n603bn.jpg
"When you got it... Flaunt it!" :p :p :p

Last edited by a moderator:
AutoTrDvr, have you ever been here, right up the block from my farm?

http://www.40fathomgrotto.com/

Not for the amateur; there were a couple of fatalities a few years ago.
Yes, I've done some training there. It was originally called "Zuber Sink." I think Hal Watts

(the original owner) leases it to the Commercial Diving Academy now. Few people use

it for "non commercial" training due to the expense ($50.00 per day to dive, as opposed

to most other places which are $20-30 per day). But it's one of the few places that has

it's own decompression chamber.

I like the 747 better than the 777. The 747 was a lot better with the old 2-4-3 config. It also looks better, IMO. A 3-4-3 config on a 777 would be a horrer in my expierience.
i love the 747's. but i still like the 777. i haven't flown on either one but the 747's are classic :)
Yeah, you haven't flown on them, eh? Well, I have flown on both, extensively, and I must say the 747 is a lot better if the airline does it right. But they're also worse if the airline dosen't take care of them.

Back