what comes with meals?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I rode Coach on the SWC last summer. After a night of catnapping and watching thunderstorms across the Kansas plains (lovely), all I wanted was some coffee and bacon. Breakfast is fairly cheap, and you get your drink included. I had bacon, a breakfast sandwich, potatoes, and coffee. The sandwich and potatoes were mediocre, so I ordered the french toast on my next trip (delicious). The bacon is really good and tastes pretty fresh. I could have eaten a lot more. :)

Anyway, I wandered into the Lounge Car at 6:00 AM and got a seat for breakfast as soon as the Dining Car opened. It filled up pretty quickly, so go as early as possible.

It was nice watching the sun rise over eastern Colorado while I ate breakfast. If you're looking to save money and still get the Dining Car experience, I recommend breakfast. People in Coach start stirring and moving about the car around 6:00, so you shouldn't have any trouble waking up in time. ;)
Yes I noticed that, when I was on board the train it was like camping, but even earlier! haha I always seemed to be up before we crossed into Colorado, so sometime between 6 and 7am CT. I'm thinking breakfast would be a good choice, since as long as we get our stop in ABQ, I can always get dinner there, and just snack for lunch. Do they still do seating like they do during lunch and dinner (where no one sits alone)?

I had dinner on 91 last week. Roll, salad, iced tea came with the entree (salmon with rice, mixed vegetables, and a chowder). $18. Quality was adequate but certainly no complaints about quantity.

Yes I noticed that, when I was on board the train it was like camping, but even earlier! haha I always seemed to be up before we crossed into Colorado, so sometime between 6 and 7am CT. I'm thinking breakfast would be a good choice, since as long as we get our stop in ABQ, I can always get dinner there, and just snack for lunch. Do they still do seating like they do during lunch and dinner (where no one sits alone)?
Yup. I had seatmates during breakfast.

Yup. I had seatmates during breakfast.
Alright thanks :) I have no problem sitting alone or with people, but I'd rather be prepared as to whether or not I'll be stuffing my face full of food in front of people I don't even know :p

Alright thanks :) I have no problem sitting alone or with people, but I'd rather be prepared as to whether or not I'll be stuffing my face full of food in front of people I don't even know :p
You can work this to your advantage. On a trip this summer I shared a breakfast table with two others from the sleepers, and one young fella from coach. The three of us whose meal was included in our tickets ended up giving the coacher some of our food -- yogurt, biscuit, extra sausage patty, etc. So try to look hungry and broke, and you may score!

You can work this to your advantage. On a trip this summer I shared a breakfast table with two others from the sleepers, and one young fella from coach. The three of us whose meal was included in our tickets ended up giving the coacher some of our food -- yogurt, biscuit, extra sausage patty, etc. So try to look hungry and broke, and you may score!
As long as I get a nice railfan I think that could work :) But I will definitely be broke haha I'm trying not to spend more than $50 for food/drinks the entire trip (from GRR to CHI, CHI to FLG, then on the way back FLG to CHI and CHI to GRR)

Remind me to sit next to you next time we're on the same train - :)

Also, what is Amtrak's policy on letting adults order from the kid's menu? haha I know some restaurants won't let you at all, while others see that it's business nonetheless, even if it's less.
I was on a 5-day loop-hole trip (NOL-WAS-CHI-LAX-SEA) and by day four I was bummed out on the boring menu regardless the route. Being in a sleeper (free meals)

I asked for a grilled cheese sandwich off the kids menu for something light. I was shot down. I countered not only are my meals free they come out ahead by providing

only two slices of bread and cheese vs. a bun, large meat patty lettuce/tomato/onion. He countered even the crew couldn't order off the kids menu.

Mindless bureaucracy comes to mind.

I should almost assuredly have chimed in earlier:

1) What is included. At dinner, it is the described entree/selection, plus a vegetable side, a starch, a salad, and the listed drinks (milk, coffee, tea at all meals; juices available at breakfast as well). Sodas are not included; they cost about $2, and alcoholic drinks are obviously going to be a hair more. At breakfast and lunch, it's what's on the menu plus the drink selection I listed before. Some lunch entrees do include a small salad, some don't (you know, like the entree salad).

2) What I've had good experiences with: At dinner, I've always loved the steak and I rarely deviate on a short trip (there are quite frankly starting to be Silver Service crews that know my order before I open my mouth). I've had good experiences with all items except a poorly-done pair of ribs on the Zephyr (which contrasted sharply with amazing ribs on the Eagle), but there's risk everywhere (sometimes you'll get a new cook who overdoes the steak or something like that). At lunch, the entree salad is usually my preference if soup isn't on offer...but the soup/stew (they do tend to make them reasonably thick to avoid splattering) offerings always tend to hit the spot.

3) What I've had bad experiences with: Not a whole lot...there was that rib incident on the back end of a trip, and the vegetarian entrees can be hit-or-miss. I've never ordered it, but the "healthy" option that is low in about four different items seems to have included "taste" on the list. The only time I've ever seen it ordered, someone ended up begging for a replacement. One suspects that Amtrak may seriously look at dumping some of those items or lightening up on the standards.

I tend to agree that lunch is often the weakest meal of the day on many routes...a lot of that has to do with the fact that several routes (Cap both ways and the LSL WB) don't have breakfast, while several others serve lunch on lesser-trafficked segments of their routes. It's just not a big focus for Amtrak like dinner is, and not something a lot of folks encounter even to the same extent that breakfast is.

1) What is included. At dinner, it is the described entree/selection, plus a vegetable side, a starch, a salad, and the listed drinks (milk, coffee, tea at all meals; juices available at breakfast as well).
A vegetable side AND a salad? On my Texas Eagle journey earlier this month, with the dinner I only got one small dish of some lettuce, a couple of baby tomatoes and a few croutons. This goes under which of the two? And then, what's the other dish? Also, I did not know milk/coffee/tea comes included in dinner price and the attendant didn't remind me about it either when I didn't give any preference. I guess I missed out on a lot I could have got for the $15-odd I spent on dinner
sad.gif

the vegetarian entrees can be hit-or-miss. I've never ordered it, but the "healthy" option that is low in about four different items seems to have included "taste" on the list. The only time I've ever seen it ordered, someone ended up begging for a replacement. One suspects that Amtrak may seriously look at dumping some of those items or lightening up on the standards.
I am a vegetarian and I ordered Vegetarian Lasagna for dinner on Texas Eagle and it tasted decently nice. Not out-of-the-world awesome, but not bad either. Of course I was a bit disappointed with the quantity considering that I was paying approx $15 for it and it involved no cost of any meats either. I eat lesser than most people (I find it hard to finish off normal sized entrees at fast food chains that others munch down easily) yet I was not completely full after eating the lasagna.

My guess as to why Amtrak keeps the side salads so simple is to make them appealing to as wide an audience as possible. Else they will get folks grousing about this, that or whatever being on them and then having to field strip the thing, leading to more complaints. I also tend to prefer things spicy and hot, and always make a point to know where the Tabasco bottle is in the Diner :) You have to learn to be creative with what you have on the table-for example, a packet of Salad Dressing on a Baked Potato or the Steamed Veggies.

A vegetable side AND a salad? On my Texas Eagle journey earlier this month, with the dinner I only got one small dish of some lettuce, a couple of baby tomatoes and a few croutons. This goes under which of the two?
^ This. Iceberg clippings with a couple tomatoes and some croutons does NOT a salad make. I'm not even sure if that qualifies as "lettuce" when most other varieties have so much more flavor and nutrition.

My guess as to why Amtrak keeps the side salads so simple is to make them appealing to as wide an audience as possible.
I'm really not sure what about iceberg lettuce could be considered appealing. The lack of any discernible taste? The missing vitamins? Maybe it's the dirt cheap cost and stupid easy storage compared to most any other lettuce. That ought to keep the bean counters happy. I had a fresh full-bodied salad on the PPC that was pretty damn good though. It took the place of the entree but it was completely worth it. I would be nice if other trains had salads more like that one.

You have to learn to be creative with what you have on the table-for example, a packet of Salad Dressing on a Baked Potato or the Steamed Veggies.
Which is exactly what I do when I'm visiting my grandparent's retirement home, but on Amtrak I feel it's a real shame we have to jump through these sorts of hoops just to give their food some actual flavor.

I'm still seeing the appeal of breakfast over everything else when I factor in that we'll stop in ABQ just around dinner time. That and for breakfast I'd go with the continental breakfast as I'd eat everything it comes with (I don't really like eggs, or sausage, or bacon...or soggy french toast. lol)

But if I went with lunch I'd go with the burger or whatever the day's sandwich was...

I'm still seeing the appeal of breakfast over everything else when I factor in that we'll stop in ABQ just around dinner time. That and for breakfast I'd go with the continental breakfast as I'd eat everything it comes with (I don't really like eggs, or sausage, or bacon...or soggy french toast. lol) But if I went with lunch I'd go with the burger or whatever the day's sandwich was...
I'm normally big on omelets but the gooey canned veggies in the middle sort of kill it for me. I always go with the French Toast. It just seems to handle the freezer-to-convection preparation process better than anything else. Amtrak sausage reminds me of McDonald's sausage patties. It's not my usual fare but it gets my childhood nostalgia receptors firing so I actually sort of enjoy it. I'm not sure I've ever ordered the continental breakfast so be sure to report on what you get and what you thought of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still seeing the appeal of breakfast over everything else when I factor in that we'll stop in ABQ just around dinner time. That and for breakfast I'd go with the continental breakfast as I'd eat everything it comes with (I don't really like eggs, or sausage, or bacon...or soggy french toast. lol) But if I went with lunch I'd go with the burger or whatever the day's sandwich was...
I'm normally big on omelets but the gooey canned veggies in the middle sort of kill it for me. I always go with the French Toast. It just seems to handle the freezer-to-convection preparation process better than anything else. Amtrak sausage reminds me of McDonald's sausage patties. It's not my usual fare but it gets my childhood nostalgia receptors firing so I actually sort of enjoy it. I'm not sure I've ever ordered the continental breakfast so be sure to report on what you get and what you thought of it.
According to the menu:

Served with a choice of cold Kellogg’s brand cereal or steel cut oats with raisins and brown sugar. Served with fresh fruit, warm biscuit, cinnamon raisin bread or croissant and Activia yogurt.

Just like what I'd get at the Amtrak inn! but all in all it doesn't sound too bad, and they can't screw up cereal, fruit and yogurt. the biscuit will probably be "room temperature" warm, but I'll probably go for the cinnamon raisin bread or croissant.

As often as not, I've seen the fruit with the continental breakfast be grapefruit (one of my favorite fruits, albeit one which I rarely get around to eating); it was a very nice surprise when two of the folks having breakfast on the SWC one morning didn't want grapefruit, and so my tablemate and I (I believe we were up early and the crowd was thin...and yes, this was just someone I met at breakfast, not a traveling companion) got a nice side of grapefruit with our french toast.

I enjoy dinner the most on the train, I just feel it's a good way to end your day. It gives you something to look forward to and it takes a little more time with getting a salad and roll. I always find the people you share a table with at dinner are more interesting than lunch. I think the chicken is a good option. If I splurge or have a sleeper, the steak is the way to go.

Lunch is good also, the angus burger is really good.

In Albuequerque they do have the food counter in the station. I decided on my last trip to get lunch in the station. I just made sure I was one of the first ones out of the train(we arrived late) and walked really fast to the food counter. It is a service stop, I think we were given 20 minutes. I ordered a burger, which came with french fries and a drink, I believe the price was 6.99, not sure though but less than the train. The burger was edible, but really wasn't very good. They have a variety of foods in there.

On one of my trips a couple got on in ABQ and later they pulled out burritos, those sure looked good. I'm funny about food spoiling, I don't want to get sick before a vacation :(

I think everything in the lounge car is over priced and if you buy more than one thing, you might as well go eat in the dining car.

Have a great trip! Watch out for the no cell phone attendant, she means it! :rolleyes:
Really...better be among the first..I can't understand why they run this little cafe thing how they do. The guy takes just YOUR order..burger..OK..puts the burger on the grill..does he ask the next person in line to start their meal?? Noooppee. Waits until the burger is cooked, put on bun and passed off, then asks the next person what they want..just silly and stupid slow. They do have grab and go stuff which we have been forced more than once to get since the line for fresh made food does....not...move. But if you dart right in you can pull it off :)

Really...better be among the first..I can't understand why they run this little cafe thing how they do. The guy takes just YOUR order..burger..OK..puts the burger on the grill..does he ask the next person in line to start their meal?? Noooppee. Waits until the burger is cooked, put on bun and passed off, then asks the next person what they want..just silly and stupid slow. They do have grab and go stuff which we have been forced more than once to get since the line for fresh made food does....not...move. But if you dart right in you can pull it off :)
Umm.. has anyone tried telling the guy he is doing it wrong?
help.gif

I am travelling to ABQ on SWC next month. If any kind-hearted AU folks are willing to reward me a few thousand AGR points, I can undertake the mission of telling him how to improve his efficiency which will benefit generations of travelers.
mosking.gif

Umm.. has anyone tried telling the guy he is doing it wrong?
help.gif

I am travelling to ABQ on SWC next month. If any kind-hearted AU folks are willing to reward me a few thousand AGR points, I can undertake the mission of telling him how to improve his efficiency which will benefit generations of travelers.
mosking.gif
Notwithstanding your extrmemely generous offer :p , I wondered if he gets paid by Amtrak to be so inefficient. :D

From various things i've read about on the net and from my own experience... it seems that the Empire Builder has some of the best Diner Car service off all the LD routes. Any reason why this is so?

From various things i've read about on the net and from my own experience... it seems that the Empire Builder has some of the best Diner Car service off all the LD routes. Any reason why this is so?
Yes, shortly before Congress' silly conditions, Amtrak had revamped the Empire Builder and branded it as a new superior product. The changes included using refurbished Superliner I sleepers, better meals in the dining car, using the upper level of the Sightseer Lounge to sell snacks & drinks, etc.

Then Congress imposed their silly condition about cutting food service losses, which gave us SDS and Diner-Lite & Cross Country Cafes. Amtrak President wisely decided not to make any of those changes to the EB, most likely figuring that the success of that train would prove that cutting was not the way to cut the losses.

I've used several LD routes over the last few years, and I can't see any difference in the quality of service or food between them based just on route. In my opinion, the Empire Builder dining car service is no better or worse than other trains. One of the better meals I've had on Amtrak was dinner on the City of New Orleans last July, and that train is not usually mentioned when discussing good food on Amtrak. By contrast, meals during an EB trip in 2010 were unremarkable and the service was lackluster.

Food service on Amtrak is hit or miss and dependent more on the people than the train. Get a good crew, and you'll have good food and service. Get something other than a good crew, then things will suffer.

I've used several LD routes over the last few years, and I can't see any difference in the quality of service or food between them based just on route. In my opinion, the Empire Builder dining car service is no better or worse than other trains. One of the better meals I've had on Amtrak was dinner on the City of New Orleans last July, and that train is not usually mentioned when discussing good food on Amtrak. By contrast, meals during an EB trip in 2010 were unremarkable and the service was lackluster.

Food service on Amtrak is hit or miss and dependent more on the people than the train. Get a good crew, and you'll have good food and service. Get something other than a good crew, then things will suffer.

I agree. I rode the EB this year and the food was good, but not overly special. In fact, the best meal I've had on Amtrak this year was trout on the LSL. What is truly shocking :excl: about this is that the heritage diner was not on that run - the meal was prepared in an Amfleet II diner-lite!!! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back