what comes with meals?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcnosse

Lead Service Attendant
I have my next trip aboard the SWC in about two weeks, and I actually plan on eating at least one meal on board in the dining car (probably lunch). Do drinks/sides come included with the price of the meal for coach passengers or do I have to pay extra for that?

Also, what is Amtrak's policy on letting adults order from the kid's menu? haha I know some restaurants won't let you at all, while others see that it's business nonetheless, even if it's less.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my next trip aboard the SWC in about two weeks, and I actually plan on eating at least one meal on board in the dining car (probably lunch).
There was a thread on here recently where the vast majority of respondents named lunch as Amtrak's worst sit-down meal service and I concurred with that assessment.

Do drinks/sides come included with the price of the meal for coach passengers or do I have to pay extra for that?
With regard to drinks all meals come with coffee, tea, or milk and breakfast includes juice (orange, apple, or cranberry). Sides are generally limited to a bowl of iceberg clippings that Amtrak euphemistically refers to as a "salad" and a roll that is universally referred to as "warm" but is almost always served cold on the trains I ride. Burgers and sandwiches usually come with potato chips and a pickle slice.

Also, what is Amtrak's policy on letting adults order from the kid's menu? haha I know some restaurants won't let you at all, while others see that it's business nonetheless, even if it's less.
Like so many things this policy seems to differ depending on who you get. From what I can tell Amtrak diner staff are not too crazy about selling child selections to adults. Unless they start running out of adult options and then suddenly they're perfectly fine with it.

You might want to take a look at the menu when you get a chance.

There was a thread on here recently where the vast majority of respondents named lunch as Amtrak's worst sit-down meal service and I concurred with that assessment.

I supposed I could try dinner, but being a poor college student (who's also fairly frugal) I was looking at lunch as a good alternative. Last two times aboard the train all I ate were my own snacks, which were granola bars, pop tarts, and some pretzels. Also since I'll be going from CHI-FLG, and as long as we arrive in ABQ with a little bit of time I can always get something to eat there (especially if that hot dog vendor is still there), so I figured lunch while we're going through the Raton Pass would be good.

With regard to drinks all meals come with coffee, tea, or milk and breakfast includes juice (orange, apple, or cranberry). Sides are generally limited to a bowl of iceberg clippings that Amtrak euphemistically refers to as a "salad" and a roll that is universally referred to as "warm" but is almost always served cold on the trains I ride. Burgers and sandwiches usually come with potato chips and a pickle slice.
I'd hope I could at least substitute water in for the coffee, tea, milk or juice (for breakfast). I'm lactose-intolerant and also have a bad reaction to citric acid (especially if I don't keep up on eating yogurt) so both of those would leave one less restroom open
blink.gif
, and I'm not really too fond of coffee or tea...

Like so many things this policy seems to differ depending on who you get. From what I can tell Amtrak diner staff are not too crazy about selling child selections to adults. Unless they start running out of adult options and then suddenly they're perfectly fine with it.

Understandable, I mean they aren't making as much with the kid menu since the prices are lower...but some of it doesn't look too bad haha and after all the adult selections are sold out, it makes sense they don't want to lose business so they might as well sell you a child meal for a couple bucks less then not sell you anything

I think I'd go with the continental breakfast for breakfast, the steak burger for lunch, or the chicken for dinner.

Of course you can have water....they'll give you a bottle of water.

You can take more than snacks, jd! At the very least take a couple of Subway subs...if you don't get the sauce put all over them, most of them hold up well for a half day or so. I once saw a young guy with a large pizza he brought on board and he ate a slice every now and then. Cold pizza is good - even without the cheese!

Personally I think lunch provides more bang for the buck, i.e. quantity of food relative to number of dollars. I don't care about 'service.'

If the Diner hasn't been too busy and isn't expected to get busy on down the line, you may be able to order off the Children's Menu. I actually was one time on the Texas Eagle able to snap up a Grilled Cheese for lunch, complete with a nice big cut of onion melted onto the sandwich.

I'd hope I could at least substitute water in for the coffee, tea, milk or juice (for breakfast). I'm lactose-intolerant and also have a bad reaction to citric acid (especially if I don't keep up on eating yogurt) so both of those would leave one less restroom open
blink.gif
, and I'm not really too fond of coffee or tea...
Yes, you can. I am in a similar situation as yours (poor college student, can't afford all Amtrak Dining Car meals) and on my recent journey by Teaxs Eagle I had decided to try dinner in the Diner for that one experience. When I was seated, the attendant asked what I'd like to drink, and at that time I did not know the dinner price includes tea/coffee/milk, so I asked for just water and he promptly got me a glass of water, and refilled it too later. As for the "sides", yes like the others said, I was given a small dish with some lettuce, little tomatoes and croutons, and one "warm bun" which was actually at room temperature.

I have my next trip aboard the SWC in about two weeks, and I actually plan on eating at least one meal on board in the dining car (probably lunch).
I've not traveled AMTRAK in years, but have a trip coming up. When I did travel cross country, etc I preferred to eat breakfast in the dining car, snack on food I brought throughout the day, and grab something at night from the snack bar. I'm not a poor college student but a poor senior citizen.

The first time I traveled long distance on a train, a family across from me pulled out and ate to everyone's envy some great smelling home cooked fried chicken.

How about breakfast instead? It's first come first served so you don't have to wait until all the sleeping car passengers have their reservations. The railroad french toast is consistently good, and I think the prices are about on a par with lunch. I agree with others, lunch is the weakest as far as variety and quality. I often have a late breakfast and early dinner, and skip lunch altogether.

I supposed I could try dinner, but being a poor college student (who's also fairly frugal) I was looking at lunch as a good alternative. Also since I'll be going from CHI-FLG, and as long as we arrive in ABQ with a little bit of time I can always get something to eat there (especially if that hot dog vendor is still there), so I figured lunch while we're going through the Raton Pass would be good.
Makes sense. I'd probably go for the Breakfast myself. You won't have to compete with sleeper passengers for seats and it's not as expensive as dinner.

I'd hope I could at least substitute water in for the coffee, tea, milk or juice (for breakfast). I'm lactose-intolerant and also have a bad reaction to citric acid...and I'm not really too fond of coffee or tea.
Yeah, as others said you can order water if you want. They also have sodas and a few beers.

I think I'd go with the continental breakfast for breakfast, the steak burger for lunch, or the chicken for dinner.
I'd avoid the burger. Too many bad experiences with that selection.

I don't care about 'service.'
In this context "service" refers to the entirety of the experience, including the quality of the food.

Lunch items are at least 10.00 a pop, the snack car, is what it is, junk food and not cheap. Maybe think about picking up a box of KFC and some rolls. It will last and personally, I love cold fried chicken. Stick some water, maybe a Gatorade and trail mix in your backpack. The biggest problem with hunger on a train is, nothing to do but eat. Take a book, kick back and enjoy the trip. Amtrak food is not bad, but not cheap either. Nothing wrong with packing your own lunch and snacks. I sent link for various on-board menus you can check out and see if anything interests you and pricing. Have a good trip.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267294103

I also think lunch is one of the worst....

The burger is mediocre...though sometimes decent...

breakfast is a good value...and dinner, while not cheap, is pretty good....

If you can get a small cooler, that will help keep stuff cold....at one point some years back i traveled with a loaf of bread and a jar of the PB combined with Jelly stuff...saved money....and i was occasionally able to splurge on dinner...(i really miss the yummy ham steak with the cherry sauce-stuff..)

I have ordered from the kids menu as well...but i was in a sleeper....i wanted mac and cheese as i didn't feel well and they gave it to me on a couple occasions with no trouble....once i also got the grilled cheese, but i can't understand why it is 3 sliced of bread with 2 layers of cheese....
unsure.gif

enjoy your trip...there is actually a snack bar in the ABQ station that has a number of options for food.....

I enjoy dinner the most on the train, I just feel it's a good way to end your day. It gives you something to look forward to and it takes a little more time with getting a salad and roll. I always find the people you share a table with at dinner are more interesting than lunch. I think the chicken is a good option. If I splurge or have a sleeper, the steak is the way to go.

Lunch is good also, the angus burger is really good.

In Albuequerque they do have the food counter in the station. I decided on my last trip to get lunch in the station. I just made sure I was one of the first ones out of the train(we arrived late) and walked really fast to the food counter. It is a service stop, I think we were given 20 minutes. I ordered a burger, which came with french fries and a drink, I believe the price was 6.99, not sure though but less than the train. The burger was edible, but really wasn't very good. They have a variety of foods in there.

On one of my trips a couple got on in ABQ and later they pulled out burritos, those sure looked good. I'm funny about food spoiling, I don't want to get sick before a vacation :(

I think everything in the lounge car is over priced and if you buy more than one thing, you might as well go eat in the dining car.

Have a great trip! Watch out for the no cell phone attendant, she means it! :rolleyes:

But wouldn't the soda cost extra, since it's not included in the meal? If I re arrange my thinking a bit I could do lunch in CHI before I leave, snack for dinner, then breakfast the next morning when we're nearing the Kansas/Colorado border, snack at lunch and then eat something in ABQ if time permits, if not, my girlfriend can buy me some food when I arrive in FLG.

It definitely is a step up from granola bars and pop-tarts!

Btw anybody know approximately when breakfast ends on the SWC? I know we pull into a station (La Junta, CO?) right around 8:30a or so...

Btw anybody know approximately when breakfast ends on the SWC? I know we pull into a station (La Junta, CO?) right around 8:30a or so...
I was on #3 last week but always eat breakfast early as there is not a waitlist when the DC opens. That said, I'm pretty sure that on the first morning breakfast on #3 ends at 9:00 Central time. Note that even though Lamar and La Junta are on Mountain Time, the DC stays on Central Time until breakfast has ended. Also keep in mind that even though breakfast is first come, first served - there is often a waiting list. So don't wait too late to go or there may not be any space available when you get to the DC.

I too think breakfast is the best bang for the buck on Amtrak.

I was on #3 last week but always eat breakfast early as there is not a waitlist when the DC opens. That said, I'm pretty sure that on the first morning breakfast on #3 ends at 9:00 Central time. Note that even though Lamar and La Junta are on Mountain Time, the DC stays on Central Time until breakfast has ended. Also keep in mind that even though breakfast is first come, first served - there is often a waiting list. So don't wait too late to go or there may not be any space available when you get to the DC.

I too think breakfast is the best bang for the buck on Amtrak.
Alright thanks! I'll probably make sure get down to the dining car around 7:00-7:30am MT at the latest to ensure that I can get in, don't wanna have to pay for cafe car food! I remember the first time I rode and saw the menu, I thought "Snack box..hey that might be nice and for $6 you'd probably get a lot!" and then the lady across the aisle got one...then I was like "holy crap! $6 for that!"

Having just ended being a poor college student, I think lunch is the best value. I had a good burger (on a diner lite of all places) and lots of chips for only 7$. It was satisfying. But breakfast is the cheapest option, and since you're in a real diner, I'd go for breakfast. Dinner is out of the question for a poor college student. Pack some evening snacks.

Having just ended being a poor college student, I think lunch is the best value. I had a good burger (on a diner lite of all places) and lots of chips for only 7$. It was satisfying. But breakfast is the cheapest option, and since you're in a real diner, I'd go for breakfast. Dinner is out of the question for a poor college student. Pack some evening snacks.
Yes, dinner was pretty much out of the question unless I got the chicken and even then it's still like $15. I'll either take breakfast or lunch, haven't decided yet, and I already plan to bring along some protein meal bars to tide me over until I arrive

Yes, dinner was pretty much out of the question unless I got the chicken and even then it's still like $15. I'll either take breakfast or lunch, haven't decided yet, and I already plan to bring along some protein meal bars to tide me over until I arrive
I would say lunch, because at least then you get meat. the 3$ for meat for breakfast is rip-off (3 strips of bacon).

The 1/2 Chicken is a good value considering you are a captive customer. I tried it a few weeks ago as a change of pace on Day 5 of a 7 day trip and found it to be more than filling and quite tasty. My plate actually went back with "a few scraps for the cat" and I'm generally one to leave a plate dry as a bone and clean as a whistle :lol:

A couple things to keep in mind when comparing Amtrak dining car prices to regular sit-down restaurants: The Amtrak menu price includes your choice of coffee, tea, or milk (a sit-down restaurant will sock you an extra $2.69 or so for this) and there is no tax. It adds up.

A couple things to keep in mind when comparing Amtrak dining car prices to regular sit-down restaurants: The Amtrak menu price includes your choice of coffee, tea, or milk (a sit-down restaurant will sock you an extra $2.69 or so for this) and there is no tax. It adds up.
Even so, I guess I haven't been to many sit-down restaurants. $30 for two meals (and drinks) is at most what I'd pay right now (I know I'm cheap haha)

I presume that the "Available for children 12 and under" is the policy.

I rode Coach on the SWC last summer. After a night of catnapping and watching thunderstorms across the Kansas plains (lovely), all I wanted was some coffee and bacon. Breakfast is fairly cheap, and you get your drink included. I had bacon, a breakfast sandwich, potatoes, and coffee. The sandwich and potatoes were mediocre, so I ordered the french toast on my next trip (delicious). The bacon is really good and tastes pretty fresh. I could have eaten a lot more. :)

Anyway, I wandered into the Lounge Car at 6:00 AM and got a seat for breakfast as soon as the Dining Car opened. It filled up pretty quickly, so go as early as possible.

It was nice watching the sun rise over eastern Colorado while I ate breakfast. If you're looking to save money and still get the Dining Car experience, I recommend breakfast. People in Coach start stirring and moving about the car around 6:00, so you shouldn't have any trouble waking up in time. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back