What are the chances we can get on the Southwest Chief?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy Z

Service Attendant
Heading downtown LA for some shopping fun, and was thinking about stopping in at Union Station for another peek at the SWC. It is due in this am, and due to depart late in the evening. Does it just spend the while time right there? I would like to see if we can get another look at it, and maybe even see inside. What do you think my chances are? :)

not long after arrival the train will be taken to amtrak's service yard a couple miles from union station and return shortly before departure. i don't believe you are supposed to be on the arrival/departure platform unless ticketed. maybe from one of the bridges over the river and tracks you could get a view. you could take the light rail to fullerton where you can be around the platform without problem and watch arrival and departure. someone who actually lives in la could give you the logisitics of this. we have taken the swc several times and really like the train and union station

The platforms at LA Union Station are pretty open, so it's possible to make your way to the platform without a ticket. However, lingering around the Amtrak platforms (generally 9-12) without a ticket or a train in the station may give rise to some suspicion.

However, as noted, the Chief's consist doesn't spend the day in the station, so you won't be seeing much anyway. More than likely, they will not let you on to look around.

There are many commuter trains coming and going all day long from many of the platforms. Also Surfliners are in and out quite a bit.

As long as you don't do anything overly suspicious looking, no one will probably say anything to you. The number of times I have been to LAUS I have walked up to the platforms and taken 100's of pictures. Never a word from anyone to me about doing that. I always went up one of the low number ramps where the commuter trains are and then you can walk to the stub end and get to the other tracks that may have Amtrak trains on them. I never have seen any signs saying one couldn't go to the tracks, so who knows what the "rules" might be.

Hmmm....I really was not sure if it "hung around" or not :) We did see it once at Fullerton, really would love to get on and see it in person. LOVE the virtual tour, though!

Thinking about taking a trip to Albuquerque in December with my hubby, kid and my parents and want to give it a good look over. My husband gets a little "uncomfortable" in tight spaces and my parents are older so I was hoping to see how it would work for them. Funny thing is, I have more concerns about this "short" trip with all of them than I do about the long trip I will take with my daughter next year :)

As far as sleeping, for just the one night: I am not sure if we should get 2 roomettes or the bedroom. Is it possible to sleep in the chair, while the bed is down? Has anyone ever slept in the lower bunk as a couple? Neither of my parents could use the upper bunk, so they will need the 2 roomettes if it is not possible to sleep 2 adults in the lower. For my little family, if it is possible to sleep in the chair as an option, I like the idea of a bedroom over the idea of 2 roomettes...

What are your professional, expert opinions?

Thanks again for your advice!

I never have seen any signs saying one couldn't go to the tracks, so who knows what the "rules" might be.
There's a "tickets or passes required beyond this point" sign for Tracks 1 & 2, the Gold Line platform (and also for the Red/Purple Line station underground), but I haven't seen anything similar for any of the other platforms.

As far as sleeping, for just the one night: I am not sure if we should get 2 roomettes or the bedroom. Is it possible to sleep in the chair, while the bed is down? Has anyone ever slept in the lower bunk as a couple? Neither of my parents could use the upper bunk, so they will need the 2 roomettes if it is not possible to sleep 2 adults in the lower. For my little family, if it is possible to sleep in the chair as an option, I like the idea of a bedroom over the idea of 2 roomettes...
The lower berth in a Superliner bedroom is not as wide as a standard double bed, but it's close. A married couple which is used to snuggling up could very well share it, and I have heard trip reports from several passengers who have done just that. With that said, don't count the upper berth out just yet. My (then) 78-year old father slept quite comfortably in the upper berth of a bedroom coming home to Texas from Chicago; bedroom passengers have a real ladder to access the top bunk and not just those makeshift steps that you find in the roomettes.

Maybe you could take a short trip to Fullerton or Riverside and have a look around and then use public transportation to get back to your starting point?

Hmmm....I really was not sure if it "hung around" or not :) We did see it once at Fullerton, really would love to get on and see it in person. LOVE the virtual tour, though!

Thinking about taking a trip to Albuquerque in December with my hubby, kid and my parents and want to give it a good look over. My husband gets a little "uncomfortable" in tight spaces and my parents are older so I was hoping to see how it would work for them. Funny thing is, I have more concerns about this "short" trip with all of them than I do about the long trip I will take with my daughter next year :)

What are your professional, expert opinions?

Thanks again for your advice!
Spending a nite in a Superliner Roomette lower berth WITH ANOTHER person in that same berth, would (to me mind you) not be comfortable at all, under any circumstances.

I not huge, 5'11", 190 LBS, but I cannot even imagine sharing that tiny bunk with anyone else. Two younger kids? No problemo. Parent & infant? You bet. Two adults? Good luck, actually sleeping, that is.........

Two roomettes X from each other would give the benefit of having a view out of both sides of the train......

Maybe you could take a short trip to Fullerton or Riverside and have a look around and then use public transportation to get back to your starting point?
I don't see any "D" on the timetable, so I think it should work if the Metrolink and/or Pacific Surfliner have schedule during that time to take you back to LAUS. Usually, it takes about 30 minutes late to Riverside if it is departing on time at LAUS, as a precaution.

They won't let you on to look around, but I can assure you the main cars are not very cramped. If your husband has claustrophobia, you can hang out in the Lounge car during the trip and return to the roomette at night. The restrooms are a little tiny, but nowhere near as bad as an airplane. Also, check out Google Image Search. Many, many people have posted pictures from their trips over the years. You can even find some YouTube videos with a standard Google search.

I slept in Coach when I took the SWC from Chicago to Albuquerque, and the seats were really wide and comfortable. You have plenty of leg room. (I'm 5'6", and I could stretch my legs out and just barely touch the seat ahead of me.) If your husband really hates small spaces, and you're only spending one night on the train, you might consider Coach. It's not bad for just one night, and it's more comfortable than sitting in the roomette the whole time. The seats recline, and they have a leg rest built in, so it's like sleeping in a recliner at home.

They won't let you on to look around, but I can assure you the main cars are not very cramped. If your husband has claustrophobia, you can hang out in the Lounge car during the trip and return to the roomette at night. The restrooms are a little tiny, but nowhere near as bad as an airplane. Also, check out Google Image Search. Many, many people have posted pictures from their trips over the years. You can even find some YouTube videos with a standard Google search.

I slept in Coach when I took the SWC from Chicago to Albuquerque, and the seats were really wide and comfortable. You have plenty of leg room. (I'm 5'6", and I could stretch my legs out and just barely touch the seat ahead of me.) If your husband really hates small spaces, and you're only spending one night on the train, you might consider Coach. It's not bad for just one night, and it's more comfortable than sitting in the roomette the whole time. The seats recline, and they have a leg rest built in, so it's like sleeping in a recliner at home.
He was thinking maybe sleeping in coach. That might be the best choice for him. Thanks everyone, for the insights!! We never made it into Union Station yesterday (but we did make it t Philippe!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back