Welcome View of TSA Administrator on Security for Rail Passengers

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by jis, Nov 12, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Nov 12, 2019 #1

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

The full report at...

https://stockdailydish.com/tsa-administrator-no-need-for-airport-like-security-for-rail-travel/

F900ElCapitan likes this.
  2. Nov 12, 2019 #2

Barb Stout

B

Barb Stout

Service Attendant

3. Nov 12, 2019 #3

Dakota 400

D

Dakota 400

Conductor

A "continuous vetting process" for those of us enrolled in TSA Pre-Check is something of which I was unaware. Good to know, personally, that I must still be considered a "no risk passenger".

4. Nov 12, 2019 #4

jis

jis

jis

I don't know the exact rules for TSA-Pre, but as a Global Entry member I have to re-register (i.e. at notionally get vetted again) every five years. My third registration is coming up next year since I am close to completing ten years as a member.

5. Nov 12, 2019 #5

Dakota 400

D

Dakota 400

Conductor

My TSA Pre-Check will expire in a couple of years and I will probably apply for Global Entry. No such possibility to do so exists in Dayton. Will have to drive to either Cincinnati or Columbus (I think) to do so.

6. Nov 12, 2019 #6

jis

jis

jis

Incidentally, speaking of Fourth Amendment issues, this also happened earlier today, kudos to ACLU ....

Full article here...

https://www.eff.org/press/releases/...ionless-searches-travelers-phones-and-laptops

This is a popular thing among border guards in Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan I am told.

Ziv, daybeers and Devil's Advocate like this.
  7. Nov 12, 2019 #7

jis

jis

jis

You can apply and submit documentation on line. But you have to schedule an interview at a TSA Registration Center, typically at an international airport. I believe for first time applicants it has to be a pre-scheduled appointment for the interview. For subsequent registrations if you get a pre-approval through their web site, you can just drop in at any center for the interview without a prior appointment.

8. Nov 12, 2019 #8

Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter AU Supporter

Old story October 31st 2017

9. Nov 12, 2019 #9

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Conductor

I'm actually leaning in the opposite direction. Now that Customs & Immigration is a mostly automated affair it's less of an issue time wise. Global Entry comes with both good and bad aspects and getting approved is just the first part. Yes it's faster but if you're among first people through the scrum for that shift you can end up with a special service card. Maybe you'll be a guinea pig for a new process or handed over to a new trainee or asked to complete a questionnaire. If you check any luggage then you'll be staring at an empty carousel instead of waiting for someone to stamp you in. If you do get flagged and are found with anything (like fruit or snacks from the plane) you can lose all benefits permanently and without any refund. All the C&I agencies talk to each other so if you make a mistake in another country it will void your status at home.

daybeers likes this.
  10. Nov 13, 2019 #10

Anderson

A

Anderson

Conductor

I've got Nexus. At least if I can avoid checking bags...well, I'll use my last trip to Canada as an example:
    -Outbound, at YUL: I scanned my card and headed more-or-less right out the door. No human interaction.
    -Return, at Rouses Point on the Adirondack: I woke up (I'd dozed off on the flight), handed my card to the CBP agent with my passport. He asked me if I'd been partying hard, but otherwise no interaction to speak of. Sure beats the old game of 20 Questions.

Bob Dylan likes this.
  11. Nov 13, 2019 #11

jiml

jiml

jiml

Lead Service Attendant

And at the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit, MI.

12. Nov 13, 2019 #12

Trogdor

Trogdor

Trogdor

Conductor

13. Nov 13, 2019 #13

jis

jis

jis

The article has disappeared!

14. Nov 13, 2019 #14

AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Conductor Gathering Team Member

TSA must have confiscated it.

Mystic River Dragon likes this.
  15. Nov 13, 2019 #15

tricia

tricia

tricia

OBS Chief

Unleash the conspiracy theories!

Mystic River Dragon likes this.
  16. Nov 13, 2019 #16

jebr

jebr

jebr

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator

"The Last Great City of the East," St. Paul, MN
    I've found NEXUS to be more helpful going into Canada than returning to the US. Granted, I've only used the US side of it in ground mode, and the couple of times I didn't have it the screening was pretty routine anyways. On the Canadian side, I find it saves quite a bit of questioning, especially when traveling alone. The airport mode is easiest, though. (Of course, the TSA Pre benefits are a huge benefit and make travel much easier domestically within the US.)

17. Nov 13, 2019 #17

Barb Stout

B

Barb Stout

Service Attendant

Ah. I usually catch that kind of thing, but didn't this time. I was wondering how the heck NPR which I am in the habit of listening to would not report such a thing

18. Nov 13, 2019 #18

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Conductor

NPR was a quality resource back in the days of Bob Edwards. Back before it was permanently neutered by threats of defunding for showing too many signs of objective reporting and journalistic integrity. Now it's more like the reanimated ghost of Alan Colmes hosting a podcast version of the Today Show. Back to the topic at hand, how does the Nexus approval, entry inspection, and re-approval process differ from Global Entry?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  19. Nov 13, 2019 #19

tricia

tricia

tricia

OBS Chief

Nexus, IIRC, covers only entry from Canada and costs $50 to apply. Global Entry covers entry from any country, costs $100 to apply. Here's a link to the Homeland Security page with info on the various programs--all of which are valid for 5 years.

Global Entry requires an in-person interview, following "pre-clearance." It can take months for the pre-clearance to come through, and then another wait for an interview appointment, (days, weeks, or months depending on where you are aiming to do the interview). Unless you're flying home from another country anyway in which case you can do the interview without an appointment at many US international airports.

20. Nov 13, 2019 #20

swc34

s

swc34

Train Attendant

As a matter of fact, I will have my interview Monday for global entry and to let you know the lead time from application to pre-approval is 4.5 months at this time.

21. Nov 13, 2019 #21

jis

jis

jis

Is this the first application or is it a renewal?

22. Nov 13, 2019 #22

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Conductor

I probably should have done a better job articulating my situation. I already have Global Entry so that part is understood well enough. My main motivation for purchasing Nexus would be easy access to Canada while maintaining trusted traveler status (and PreCheck) for half the cost when GE expires, assuming it's not a major pain. My main reason for purchasing GE status was the absurd clusterfork regular travelers faced at IAH. These days I don't travel as much as I used to, rarely fly through Houston (bye bye UA), and I've noticed the non-expedited reentry process is fast enough for my needs with or without status.

23. Nov 13, 2019 #23

jis

jis

jis

For just going to Canada NEXUS is always more useful than Global Entry IMHO, mainly because it works in both directions.

24. Nov 13, 2019 #24

tricia

tricia

tricia

OBS Chief

Which program is the best choice is highly individual--what sort of travel you expect to be doing in the next few years, and which program is most helpful for that at the least cost. It's totally worth $100 to me just for trips to/from Mexico for dental work. Avoiding the long line when walking back across the border, and you're wondering when the anesthetic will wear off---priceless! :)

jis likes this.
  25. Nov 13, 2019 #25

swc34

s

swc34

Train Attendant

First application.