Weekend in Washington D.C via Amtrak #30 & #29

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Railroad Bill

Buckeye Train Watcher
AU Supporting Member
[SIZE=14pt]Amtrak Weekend Trip to Washington D.C.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]August 22-26, 2014[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Cleveland-Washington D.C. - Cleveland[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Wanted to check out some of the fine art exhibits at the National Gallery and other museums in D.C. so decided to find some dates on Amsnag that worked for paid trips and found a great rate at the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill as well.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Started our journey at 12 midnight on August 22 after a quick goodbye to Mr. Gato. A nice night to travel up I-71 and we arrived at CLE around 1:15. I had checked for OTP on our Capitol Ltd #30 and found it was running about an hour or so down into Toledo, so we had plenty of time. A decent crowd waiting in the station as the CL #29 was running on time and had some people waiting on it for a trip to Chicago. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Lots of freight traffic going by the station, which figured to be a problem for Amtrak if it continued. As we sat in the waiting room a large contingent of Amish folk arrived in several vans. Most of the 20 or so members of the clan were older men and women and they sat down beside us and continued their conversation in (Pennsylvania Dutch). Of course, my curiosity was immediately intrigued by this event so I started a conversation with one of the gentlemen sitting next to me. He was very friendly, as most Amish are, and he said they were all on their way to Chicago for a vacation weekend. They were going to tour the city, go up the Willis and Hancock Towers, go to Navy Pier, and ride the boats on the Chicago River. How neat!!. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Since we have a large Amish population near our town, we started comparing family notes and found we had a mutual acquaintance who had been a teacher with me; and that brought a smile on both of our faces. Finally an announcement came that #29 would be boarded first since it was still on time, and then our #30 would come in shortly afterward.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] At 2:50am #29 arrived on time and we said goodbye to our Amish friends. The train boarded quickly and started to move west. But then it stopped with the rear coach sitting a few hundred feet from the platform. It continued to sit there for the next 40 minutes. At about 3:30, #30 came by the station on the outside track and kept on going??. The station agent said they were going to go out to the crossover and then back into the station. She suggested we wait at the station door until the train had come to a stop since the conductor was going to be guiding the train from the rear. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] At about this time, #29 proceeded to move and after checking its OTP later in the day, I found they ended up over 3 hours late into Chicago. (Thank you Norfolk Southern). Eventually our #30 started backing up into the CLE platform and we noticed that the last car was the inspector car American View. And that all the sleepers were now on the rear of the train. And that there were a heck of a lot of sleepers on this train..smile. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We worked our way to Car 3001 which actually was the third car back from the dining car. Yes, there was another sleeper with number 0000 next to the diner, then 3000, then 3001, then a dorm sleeper and followed by American View. Lots of confusion on the platform since coach people were now marching up the tracks to the front of the train. The conductor was opening the door of our 3001 car and he scanned our ticket and we then headed up to Room 5. It was now 3:40am and we were down almost 2 hours by the time the train started moving. No time for locomotive photos this morning. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We crawled into our bunks and were off to sleep rather quickly. We arrived into Pittsburgh around 6:30 and had actually made up 15 minutes on the trip. We awoke as we were heading down the Monongahela River and decided it was time for breakfast. Our SCA, Phil, greeted us and asked if we wanted to keep our beds down. We said no, we had slept all we were going to, so he said he would have the room ready when we returned from breakfast. Very pleasant guy and turned out to be an excellent SCA. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] As we headed to the dining car, we passed through the 3000 car, which seemed somewhat empty in the roomettes. Then the next sleeper, which was being used by LSA and staff. Did not see any revenue passengers in that car. Diner was still pretty empty and we joined Emily at the table. She was headed back to her home in St Petersburg, FL after visiting relatives and friends in Michigan. She was scheduled for the Silver Star and was concerned over making that connection. We had the cheese omelets with croissant and maple chicken sausage. Sausage was a bit overcooked but everything else was great. Our dining car staff was very pleasant, got everything on the table quickly, asked if we wanted refills, etc. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Since the train was running late we had some daylight views from Pittsburgh to Connellsville that were not part of the usual trip. Did not seem to be much freight traffic this morning and we moved quickly along the Youghiogheny River and through the Allegheny Mt tunnels. Later returned to our roomette where Phil stopped by to chat for a while. He said they did not like the sleepers on the rear, but the vestibule setup for the American View demanded the consist be changed. Phil kept the restrooms immaculate, plenty of juice and coffee at the service stand. We talked about the loss of amenities and how ridiculous it was that Amtrak thought that would save much money. He saw that I wanted to take photos, so he told me to use #6 across the hall since no one was using that room.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Since our train arrived in Cumberland still an hour and half down, I wondered if lunch/brunch would be served later than usual. Our LSA said she planned to announce a last call for breakfast around 10:30 and then call for those of us who wanted a lunch around 11. So as soon as we left Cumberland, we could go up for an Amburger. I decided to explore our train and check out our consist. We had three coaches, which were pretty full, then the SS Lounge, diner, then the 0000 car acting as a dorm for staff, George M Pullman sleeper #3000, our car was Superliner 2, Colorado #3001, behind us was a regular transdorm which I supposed was being used by the people in the American View, which brought up the rear. Our locomotives were #14 & #201.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] As we passed through the yards at Cumberland I noticed some orange locomotives from the Genesee & Wyoming sitting near the loco shops as well as a few rental units and various CSX units waiting to be serviced. My brother spent time here in 1978 in engineer’s training and just retired after 35 years of railroading. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We decided to head up to the diner after Cumberland and sat with a man from Connecticut who was returning from a trip to Salt Lake City to visit his new grandson. He had actually flown from SLC to Chicago since his time was limited, but wanted to take the train to WAS and then a corridor up to Connecticut later today. He was concerned his scheduled NER train might have to be changed if we lost any more time. We had the Amburger with chips, no dessert was available, apologies from the dining staff. They were top notch and friendly and wish other crews on the CL would take notes. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We returned to our room and I moved back and forth between the two rooms getting some shots of Martinsburg and Harpers Ferry as we moved across West Virginia and into the Maryland countryside. A couple who we saw in the diner, were hiking the Appalachian Trail and got off in Harpers Ferry. We had lost another half hour of time and now several passengers questioned the conductor about their connections in WAS. We arrived in Rockville at 2:08 and with the padding we still made it to WAS at around 2:40. Lots of Metro, VRE and MARC trains in the yards and an Acela ready to head north when we arrived. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Emily was ushered off the Cap and onto the waiting Silver Star on the platform next to ours. She and others heading to Florida were relieved they made their train. We said goodbye to Phil and told him how much we appreciated his service (with a good tip, of course). I wanted to get some photos of the American View so I walked back to the rear of the train. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Managed to get some photos of the locomotives from the walkways in the station and then we headed through the station and down E Street to New Jersey Avenue to our hotel, the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill. At $98 per night this was a real deal with the close proximity to Union Station and the Capitol Building and walking distance to museums on the North Mall area. Minus is no free breakfast or room WIFI but we found other ways to compensate for that. Free WIFI in the lobby and a great little deli across the street. A neat old 1916 fire station across the street as well.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We spent the remainder of the weekend in Washington exploring several art galleries, the Kennedy Center, DuPont Circle, The Museum of American History and Old Town Alexandria. Met up with a cousin I had not seen in over 40 years which was also a treat. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Highlights of the weekend were:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Friday afternoon[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]: National Gallery of Art: Exhibitions: Degas & Cassatt; Andrew Wyeth, Looking Out , Looking In, assorted French Impressionist works. People watching at the Sculpture Garden fountain. Walk back to hotel and then dinner at Johnny Rockets.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Saturday:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Breakfast at the Kogod Deli across from our hotel. Red Line to DuPont Circle. Walking tour of parks, galleries. Red Line to Farragut North Corcoran Galleries: Exhibitions including Art of Albert Paley, metal works. American Journeys—Visions of Place, pre 1945 American art. An Intimate View, European Art from the Collection: Blue Line to Foggy Bottom. Kennedy Center in the afternoon. Blue Line to Federal Triangle. Museum of American History, transportation exhibits, Star Spangled Banner original flag on display, Presidents and First Ladies exhibit. Ship recovery of Philadelphia gunboat from Lake Champlain. Back to Federal Triangle Blue Line to Red Line at Metro Center. Red Line to Union Station. Pizza at Sbarros. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Sunday[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]: Red Line to Gallery Place. Yellow Line to King St Alexandria. Free King Street Trolley to Old Town Alexandria. Lunch at Il Porto Ristorante with cousin Susan. Walk to riverfront. Tour Torpedo Factory Art Center, Walking Tour of Old Town, Carlisle House, Gadsby’s Tavern (George Washington ate here), back to King St station. Yellow Line to Gallery Place—Red Line to Union Station[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Monday[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]: Breakfast at Kogod Deli (great egg & cheese sandwiches and blueberry muffins). Walk to Union Station. Stash our luggage in new storage area at Acela Lounge. (construction taking place in center of the lounge). Pastries at the lounge. Walk to National Gallery of Art. Exhibitions: Color of Nature, Landscape Watercolors, Monuments Men art and sculpture at the NGA; Masterpieces of American Furniture, Sculptures by Degas, Rodin, etc from the collection. 16th century European art galleries, French and American Impressionism galleries. Lunch at Cascades Café. Titian’s Denae from Naples Gallery, Celebrating Van Gogh, portrait of the postman from Dutch gallery and nine other Van Gogh works. Sculpture; Shaw Memorial to Soldiers at Fort Wagner and my favorite work—Lackawanna Valley by George Innes 1855. Another trip through the French Impressionists and then walk back to Union Station. Getting ready for our Amtrak ride home. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Arrived at Acela Lounge around 3pm, had some refreshments and watched some TV until boarding call came at 3:30. There was some confusion about what door we were supposed to use since an Acela and a NE Regional were leaving at the same time. At first they said the East Door, then somebody thought they knew better and told people to go to the West Door. Like lemmings the group moved over there. I decided to go with the announcement and stayed at the East Door. The agent came out and opened our door and said “I don’t know where they are going, but we are boarding the Capitol Limited this way. Smile…[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] As we walked down the platform I noticed that the American View was again on the rear of our train and the sleepers were in back as well. And then I saw Phil outside the 2901 car and Larry at the 2900 car so it looked like we had the same crew as on Friday. Said hi to Phil but our room #6 was in the 2900 car this time so Larry would have to put up with us ..smile.. Took our luggage upstairs and then I headed for the platform for photos of the locomotives at the head of the train. P-42s 171 and 40 were on the front. Beside us was one of the new ACS 64. #605 getting ready to take a NER north. What a nice looking loco!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Our engineer climbed aboard #171 and I decided it was time to get back to our car. Again there were three coaches with long lines of customers waiting to board. Our 2900 car was now next to the diner, 2901 behind us and another transdorm in front of the American View inspection car. Phil said there was an Amtrak VP on board but doubted he/she could do anything about our OTP. Discussion ensued about how Amtrak could really save money by dumping 200 middle management bureaucrats instead of flowers and wine/cheese parties. Smile…..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Our train departed on-time at 4:05 and stayed close to schedule until we reached Cumberland. As it turned out our dining car staff had several of the same people from last Friday as well. Our LSA was a new guy who came around promptly to take dinner reservations. We opted for 5pm so as to have the best selection. Larry came around for introductions and we talked a while about Amtrak. We scheduled to have our beds turned down at 9pm as he would be taking his night break after 11 this evening. A nice ride through Rockville and Point of Rocks, Maryland and then the call came for 5:00 reservations. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We were seated with a nice couple from San Antonio, TX who were returning from a visit with relatives in Alexandria. They had done some touring in Washington and we were comparing notes about our weekend adventures. They had ridden Amtrak before, but wanted to take more trips so we talked about Amsnag and Amtrak.com and all the other bits of information we have learned from AU friends over the years. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Claudia and I went for the steaks and they were great as usual. The gentleman had the tilapia and she had the ribs. Neither were as impressed with their dinner as we were but said they were o.k. The cheesecake for all four of us hit the spot. Our server was the same guy we had on #30 coming over and he was great. Refills for drinks, checked on us often and cleared the table of used dishes quickly. It was a crowded diner with several coach people eating early as well. But the dining crew was efficient and everything seemed to be moving along well. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We said goodbye to our dinner companions and headed back to our room as we left Martinsburg, WV on time. A nice ride along the Potomac and then into Cumberland only 8 minutes down. Some good passenger traffic there as the sun was getting lower in the sky. But as we headed into the Appalachians, the train slowed down and we were an hour and half down into Connellsville, Pa. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We had Larry put our beds down and I tried to stay awake a little longer, but soon opted to climb up into the “coffin” and get some sleep. I awoke thinking we might be near Alliance around 1am but we were just leaving Pittsburgh and still an hour down. I decided to go downstairs for a break and ran into a young woman coming up the stairway carrying two small schnauzer dogs. She had green and pink striped hair and seemed to be happy as a lark for 1 am in the morning. She asked me which direction was the club car. I told her the dining car was down the hall and the lounge was next car up. I told her the conductors were in the dining car if she needed assistance. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] After returning upstairs I passed her again with her “helper dogs” and she went back downstairs to the H Room. I assume she got the o.k. from the conductors to have the two dogs, who were well behaved and quiet little cuties. Went back to bed for an hour and then went up to talk to the conductors about our estimated arrival time. They said if we keep moving we should be in Cleveland by 3:30am which would not be a problem since the westbound Lakeshore #49 was already 3 hours late out of Buffalo. But there was freight traffic ahead so all bets may be off. We talked about the rough summer that Amtrak was having. He hoped that once the track work was finishing up, they would get back to normal, but not likely in the near future. He said he would make sure we were up by 20 minutes out of CLE.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Returned to the room and sat up waiting to see what happened. Luckily we only slowed down once on the east side of town and we finally arrived in CLE at 3:53, about an hour +20 minutes down. Larry did a great job of keeping restrooms in super shape even when I went down at 1am. Both of these car attendants are a credit to Amtrak and will get a good word from me with Customer Service. And the dining car crew as well. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We got off the train and made it to our car by 4am and off we went. We arrived home about 5:30am and our little cat was very glad to see us. We did some head scratching and fur rubbing and then tried to get some sleep. I almost did not make my golf match at 9am but I dragged my body forward and teed off on time. Such dedication to team sports….smile. Another excellent weekend Amtrak excursion—great crews, fine art, good food, and train riding. Life is good. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Next stop. Emeryville, CA. in October for Gathering VIII. [/SIZE]

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1512.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1658.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1669.JPG

IMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_1887.JPG

IMG_1521.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic trip and pics Bill, thanks for sharing!☺ And as tall as you are I'm impressed you sleep in the coffin!It' s a dirty job but I'm sure Claudia is appreciative!

The great WAS pics made me nostalgic for the old days in the District! ( but not in the Winter or Summer, only Spring and Fall!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jim. Yes, it is getting more difficult every year to get into the roomette upper bunk. Lot easier in the bedrooms using the ladder and Viewliners have more room up there too. :p Have been to Washington dozens of times but never run out of things to see and do there. :)

Nice report, I have been following in some of your Washington footsteps... rather annoyingly, I had left my camera behind at the hostel when I visited the American History museum, but your pics are a good substitute. Even had a Johnny Rocket burger for lunch, but in Georgetown. I hope to get my own trip report together in the next day or two.

Ed :cool:

Welcome to Washington Ed :) . Highlight this trip was seeing the restored "National Anthem flag from War of 1812". We have forgiven you Brits for burning the city :p since you gave us a song to sing at every ballgame :giggle: . Have a great trip on the Cardinal: it is a nice train and may have better OTP than the Cap Ltd is having lately. Look forward to your trip reports. And to see you in SF in Oct.

Back