Weather/temps on the California Zephyr in April & other questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often carry an old portable GPS with me when riding Amtrak. No duct tape needed for mine. I just prop it next to the window (where the SCA leaves the emergency evac instructions) and it locks on to the satellite signal within 3 minutes. I always carry an electrical busbar so that the one electrical outlet in the roomette can be shared six ways.

I always carry an electrical busbar so that the one electrical outlet in the roomette can be shared six ways.
I'm sure you meant to say power strip - not busdbar. These are busbars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busbar#/media/File:Busbars.jpg And while most power strips have three internal conductors with the contacts that could very loosely be considered busbars, if you go to a good hardware store and buy a busbar, you'll get something of no use outside of a service entrance panel, like this: .https://www.lowes.com/pd/Square-D-Load-Center-Ground-Bar-Kit/3129239

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I'll be traveling the CZ to California next week in coach and my plans are to wear my pajamas (pyjamas) on the train (they're football themed and nobody has ever objected when I wear them in public places like to my doctor's office), but as April weather in the Rockies and Sierras can be unpredictable, I'm taking a zipped hoodie and matching wide-cuffed sweatpants in my carryon that I can slip over the jammies if necessary. I just want to be comfortable for the 31 hour trip and don't care what others might think. (Heck I saw a bathrobe in the SSL on my 2015 trip.)

Your pjs shouldn't be a problem! Just hope that you don't get a control freak LSA in the Diner that tells you that you can't come in the Diner in "Night Clothes!"

I've seen several do this on various LD Trains.

Just in case this happens,you can put the hoodie on.

Last edited by a moderator:
My jammies actually look more like little kid clothes than "night" clothes, hopefully the SSL staff will just perceive me a bit odd for my age. (I'll try to snag a pic of myself enroute.) I'm not planning on visiting the dining car this trip, so that shouldn't be an issue. On a separate thread I'll run through my proposed take-on "meals" which will include a lunch and dinner on the first day/evening and hopefully only a "brunchish" combination for the second morning.

Anyway, if anything was to be said by anyone, I'll just bring up my SPD diagnosis (Sensory Processing Disorder) and inform them I would not travel comfortably in slacks and a button-up shirt.

Anyway, if anything was to be said by anyone, I'll just bring up my SPD diagnosis (Sensory Processing Disorder) and inform them I would not travel comfortably in slacks and a button-up shirt.
Just gotta say that there’s a wide variety between sleep pants/wear and what would usually be called “business casual” attire. I probably would never wear the latter on a train, save perhaps for First Class on the Acela (something I have yet to experience).

However, at this point in society’s evolution, I’m just grateful most people riding the rails keep covered to begin with. I still find it head-shakingly surprising that conductors have to stress the requirement for shoes to be worn at all times while on the train.

However, at this point in society’s evolution, I’m just grateful most people riding the rails keep covered to begin with. I still find it head-shakingly surprising that conductors have to stress the requirement for shoes to be worn at all times while on the train.
My usual socks with sandals combination (see avatar) will be plenty comfortable to sleep in this time in coach class on the CZ as it was in 2015 when I was fortunate to share a roomette.

Back