Weather/temps on the California Zephyr in April & other questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be traveling with kids (8-10 year range) in April from Chicago to California. We will have bedrooms but I want to make sure we are prepared and comfortable. What will the temp on the train be like in the mountains? Should I pack a throw blanket or two? Also, is there likely to be a bunch of snow or not? Just wondering what the scenery will be like as well. We are very excited to experience a new part of the country in a whole new way.

Also, does anyone on he train ever announce the geographical areas we are going through over an intercom or anything? I would like this to be a bit of a geography lesson as well.

Thanks for any advice!

If you are in a sleeper, there is a climate control knob you can use to adjust the temperatures inside your compartment. And since the train is generally insulated from outside temperatures, you should not worry about it. Since you mentioned that you will be traveling with kids, I recommend that you get the family bedroom instead, if you can, and save yourself some money. The family bedroom is nice in a way that you have windows on both sides. However, if you do decide to get a family bedroom, act fast and have a few days' flexibility, as there are only two family bedrooms on the Zephyr (but there are three of them if the seasonal sleeper is added). There are ten bedrooms on the Zephyr (fifteen if you include the seasonal sleeper). As with any trips involving a sleeper, act fast, as the prices of the sleepers change, and may sell out fast. Since you are boarding in Chicago, you will board from the Metropolitan Lounge, which is a good place to relax before your trip. You do not need to bring any blankets. I have not traveled on the Zephyr, but they have some of the best scenery, such as the Rockies and Sierra Nevada. Since I am not a climate expert, I can't say whether or not you will see snow on the ground, but since California had a lot of snow this month, chances are that you will see some snow. Train crews sometimes announce scenic highlights.

There is often snow over Donner in April, so far this looks like a good year for it but no guarantees.

No location announcements. Suggest a paper map (or maps) the kids can write on and also printed time table(s) for additional notes. Things they can note: times through various towns based on station signs (for stops) and business signs (non-stops), mile markers that are along the tracks, locations and features where they take photos, landmarks spotted, whatever else interests them.

If you have a scanner for some other purpose such as Nascar, you can get rail frequencies and note locations where track detectors make an automated announcement, not sure I'd buy one just for this trip.

You might show them some trip reports on this site and see if any of them want to write all or part of one, then they can take notes and photos for that, too.

There still should be a fair amount of snow on the ground in April! We are having record snowfall this winter season here in Colorado. New snowfall in April is not unusual, either. But, it should have no effect on the Zephyr in April.

I have made numerous trips on the Zephyr, and can report that any announcements concerning geographical features is inconsistent, except between Reno and Sacramento, where The California State Railroad Museum provides commentary on both history and geography. But, you have to be in the Sightseer Lounge Car to hear that information.

I can also concur with OBS regarding the Family Bedroom. But, it may depend on how many of you are traveling. There are berths for four in the room, but two of them are shorter, for kids. You might want to check on Amtrak's website for more information on the Family Room.

First of all, congratulations on booking an awesome trip. I think your kids are going to love it. My now 12 year old son has done this trip 3 times (we live in Illinois and have family in Truckee)

The scenery in April should be pretty good. Still snow in the Rockies and the Sierra's, and getting into April you will have a bit more sunlight than you do now. The Colorado river should be running pretty good from the snow melt.

In terms of on-board climate, the bedrooms can run hot or cold based on how the OBS sets the temperature. Two things I would bring if possible is a couple of extra blankets and some duck tape to cover vents and stop rattles. There is some internal controls in your room for temperature that may or may not work.

In terms of geography and knowing where your are, if you still have a portable car GPS they are awesome on the train (put it in pedestrian mode and make sure to bring a charger). Google maps or Apple maps on your phone both work well also.

Speaking of phones, make sure to bring things to occupy the kids, as well as a 6 plug extension cord if they have electronics, plus the necessary chargers. My kid loves riding the train, but being stuck in a train for 14 hours a day does get a little old. My son like to hop up in the top bunk an watch movies during the day.

Take a look at the menus before hand (they are on the Amtrak website). With your bedroom you get all meals included. However, the kids meals are a little thin in variety. Breakfast tends to be very kid friendly, but my kid can only eat kraft mac and cheese so many times for lunch and dinner.

Finally, hop of the train when you get a chance. There is a long layover in Denver and a bit of a long layover in Grand Junction and Reno if you are on schedule (Grand junction has a convenient store at the station to stock up on snacks, a little overpriced but nice).

I sort of agree with everything said, but I've never had a problem getting an extra blanket from the attendant. We have all assumed that the trip is the CZ and not the SWC or SL. For scenery's sake, I hope that is the case. I do believe the kids can order off the adult menu if they wish, I'm not 100% sure. Also, the Family B/R is a great option, but if your kids are really tall, might not fly, you did not specify whether it will be 3 or 4 travelers you did say I (not we) will be traveling with kids If it is a single adult, a taller child could use the second adult bunk...there are dimensions for the beds on in the different types of rooms on the Amtrak website...

Take a look at the menus before hand (they are on the Amtrak website). With your bedroom you get all meals included. However, the kids meals are a little thin in variety. Breakfast tends to be very kid friendly, but my kid can only eat kraft mac and cheese so many times for lunch and dinner.
Also, keep in mind that the kids CAN order from the adult menu.

There is usually a Route Guide brochure in each sleeper compartment.
Here is the online PDF of the California Zephyr route guide:
https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/692/258/Amtrak-California-Zephyr-Train-Route-Guide-2014.pdf

Some info on, and some sights from, the CZ:
http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/62808-sights-on-the-cz-route/?hl=%2Bglenwood+%2Bcanyon
http://www.thephotoforum.com/threads/the-big-10.406943/
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Arvada,+CO/@39.8574197,-105.2551272,1948m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x876b88bf184901ff:0x1f855e310a07f8ec!8m2!3d39.8027644!4d-105.0874842
http://www.thephotoforum.com/threads/gore-canyon.406980/
http://www.thephotoforum.com/threads/trains-trains-trains.18773/page-8#post-3624880
http://www.thephotoforum.com/threads/gore-canyon.407783/

Some of us like to keep track of where we are, our speed, and our elevation using a GPS application:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn290/CougarWilbur/Amtrak/Fall%202016%20CZ/GPSDisplay_101816_0825.jpg

From Chicago to Iowa will be mid-west farmland.
To Denver the train runs on tracks owned by the Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BSNF) railroad. From Denver to Emeryville the train runs on Union Pacific (UP) railroad tracks.

The next morning the train starts it's climb out of Denver up the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains.
The Sightseer lounge car gets pretty full even before the train pulls out of Denver Union Station.

The first notable sight is the Big 10 Curve, the formal start of the Front Range climb.

From here to the MoffatTunnel the train can only go about 30 miles per hour.
There are 29 tunnels between Denver and the Moffat Tunnel that lets the train go under the Continental Divide.

Once the train gets through the first tunnel soon after the Big 10 Curve we can look down on Denver/Boulder area out the right side of the train.
In the foreground is the former site of the Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons manufacturing site, now the most toxic waste site in in the United States, and a wildlife refuge and not currently open to the general public.

Further along the next sight is the 340 foot high Gross Reservoir dam that will also be out the right side of the train at the Crescent curve.
Shortly after there the train starts railing along beside South Boulder Creek that flows to the Gross Reservoir.

The train exits the Moffat Tunnel at the base of the Winter Park ski area and is now on the Western slope of the Rocky Mountains.
After the Fraser/Winter Park stop the train starts following the Fraser River through Fraser Canyon.

A couple of miles past the Granby stop the Fraser river joins the Colorado River out the right side of the train.

The next sight is the approximately 8 miles (13 km) long Byers Canyon located in the headwaters region of the Colorado River between Hot Sulphur Springs and Kremmling. Highway US-40 goes through Byers Canyon too.

Out of Kremmling the train veers to the southwest and enters a very sparsely populated area of the Western Slope and spectacular Gore Canyon.

The train passes under I-70 at Dotsero and hangs a right just passed where the Tennessee Pass train route and the Eagle River join the Colorado River.

Lovely Glenwood Canyon and the scenic town of Glenwood Springs is just ahead.

Pulling out of the Glenwood Springs stop the Roaring Fork River joins the Colorado as it continues heading downstream.

Some 50 miles from Glenwood Springs the train goes through De Beque Canyon and is the starting point of the Book Cliffs the train will be near well into Utah.

In the canyon on the left side of the train is a roller gate dam that diverts water in a series of canals to irrigate the Grand Valley.

After the Grand Junction stop and going through the small town of Mack the train veers left, goes under I-70, and after going through a short tunnel about 1.5 miles further on enters scenic Ruby Canyon.

In Ruby Canyon the CO/UT border is noted with paint on the cliff walls

About 15.5 miles further the train veers right as we get our last look at the Colorado River.

Soon the train rejoins I-70 until the train veers back north after the Green River, UT stop

The Book Cliffs are with us all the way to the Price/Helper area .

The next morning fins the train east of but approaching Reno, NV and joins the Truckee River.

Leaving Reno the train continues along the Truckee River and starts climbing up into the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Past the stop at Truckee the train makes a switchback and at the top of the grade turns left in a tunnel that exits giving us a look down at the China Cove area of Donner Lake.

There are some tunnels and snow sheds as the train continues climbing to Donner Pass.

Past Donner Pass the train descends towards Sacramento and the end of the line in Emeryville.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are indeed on the Zephyr, and the train is early/on time into Denver you should have time to take a look into a beautifully restored station. Check with your attendant before venturing as to time......

While the interior of the sleeping car temperatures are pretty much independent of the outdoor ambient temperatures at all times of the year, those interior temps can vary quite substantially between sleeping cars, even on the same train. Some hallways are freezing cold, while others can be hot and stuffy.

Besides the rheostat that controls the electric heating, there is a ceiling vent above the doorway in your bedroom that can reduce the flow of cold air into your room.

Either way, I always carry with me an extra lightweight blanket, in case the one provided in the room is not enough to keep me warm.

You can expect to see substantial snow still on the ground in the mountains of Colorado and California this April, as the accumulations to date are near record levels and the long-term forecast is for substantially more to accumulate in February and March this year.

The TA-SC (Train Attendant-Sleeper Car) will provide an extra blanket for each bed on request.

I use the topo maps, Google maps, Google Earth, Wikipedia, and YouTube.

Before getting there I've roamed around areas near the Amtrak stations where I have disembarked so I know where to find restaurants, hotels, attractions, bus stop, rental car places, etc.

Wanna see what the Granby, CO Amtrak station platform looks like?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Granby,+CO+80446/@40.0842538,-105.936095,3a,75y,198.81h,80.29t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVHpvY-bOZo9_7nqBPdmDdw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DVHpvY-bOZo9_7nqBPdmDdw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D392%26h%3D106%26yaw%3D98.843506%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x876a28cb3a52dbeb:0x1e34a9586fcb7c02!8m2!3d40.086097!4d-105.9394597!6m1!1e1

This is all so helpful thank you! We are actually doing two bedrooms that connect. It will be 4 of us. We need more space than the family bedroom.

We actually took the CZ last year from Chicago to Denver (in two roomettes) and loved the trip. I was upset we were getting off before all the good scenery but Denver was our destination so we had no choice. My kids loved the train. Given how fun it was, we decided to go the whole way this time.

This info has been really helpful. I want the kids to learn and experience things (and me too!). Being a city person, I need I see more of what is out there and you just can't do that at the airport/out a plane window.

Thanks so much everyone.

This is some great info, everyone! I'm saving this for my upcoming trip.

@KmH, you mentioned an application, and I followed the link but I'm unclear what that is. Do you have a particular app in mind? I'd love to have that info as I go along. I have an iPhone, and a windows laptop, and an "old" car GPS. Can you give me some advice on the best way to do what's shown in the linked photo? Thanks!

Bring a multigang busbar to share the electrical outlet in each bedroom among your many devices. That GPS will be very handy if you place it against the exterior window to get a better signal.

We are actually doing two bedrooms that connect. It will be 4 of us.
That will be wonderful, and it will result in a lifetime memory! My Mom and Dad, together with my brother and I, travelled in two connecting bedrooms on the "Capitol Limited-Columbian-Ambassador" combined train that the Baltimore and Ohio ran in the early sixties. Two bedrooms together seemed large enough for us to imagine that we had our own private car!

@KmH, you mentioned an application, and I followed the link but I'm unclear what that is. Do you have a particular app in mind? I'd love to have that info as I go along. I have an iPhone, and a windows laptop, and an "old" car GPS. Can you give me some advice on the best way to do what's shown in the linked photo? Thanks!
I use my laptop and a GPS receiver stuck to the train window.

I got my software - Street Atlas USA 2015 - and GPS receiver from DeLorme.

Since then DeLorme has been bought by Garmin.

The GPS receiver included a suction cup to attach the receiver to a window.

I record the GPS info from my train trips.

However, there are apps for cell phones too, because most cell phones have a built-in GPS receiver.

For several reasons, one of them being the built-in GPS, I do not use a cell phone.

Oh, I have an old GPS receiver that might work. Before I had a gps unit, I had this one that magnetized to the car roof, and connected to a laptop with a wire. I'll see if I can get software that'll work with it! I knew there was a reason I didn't throw it out! Thanks for reminding me of this.

IIRC, I used it with Microsoft Streets and Trips. Not sure if that program even exists anymore. I haven't even used my Garmin GPS in years, I just use Google Maps on my phone. But I'd like to keep a "trail" of where I've been.

Would a magnet hold on the interior of the (exterior) train wall?

It will be a great trip in the bedrooms. I have done the same trip many times both ways. However, Ive never had a working temp control device on any long distance train. I find its cooler more often than warmer but I travel more in warmer months. I always carry duct tape to seal up the vent if its too cold. I always ask for extra blanket when I board. Never an issue.

Follow up to those who replied: advice was greatly appreciated. The trip was beyond breathtaking. Why don't people travel like this more often! I still can't believe the views.

The temperature in the room greatly fluctuated but layering clothes solved that problem. The room had some rattles but nothing I couldn't adjust or deal with. I never even read my book-I felt like I would have missed something out the window. The mountains, the red rocks, the river, the animals, etc. My kids loved it too. I want to see the rest of the country now!

I want to see the rest of the country now!
I know how you feel, but the California Zephyr is arguably the most scenic Amtrak train.

I've ridden the California Zephyr 3 times round trip and the Coast Starlight once between Sacramento and Eugene round trip.

So next month I'm ridding the Southwest Chief, the Sunset Limited, the Texas Eagle, and the Illinois Zephyr.

Oh, I have an old GPS receiver that might work. Before I had a gps unit, I had this one that magnetized to the car roof, and connected to a laptop with a wire. I'll see if I can get software that'll work with it! I knew there was a reason I didn't throw it out! Thanks for reminding me of this.

IIRC, I used it with Microsoft Streets and Trips. Not sure if that program even exists anymore. I haven't even used my Garmin GPS in years, I just use Google Maps on my phone. But I'd like to keep a "trail" of where I've been.

Would a magnet hold on the interior of the (exterior) train wall?
Microsoft has officially discontinued Streets and Trips, but if you have an older copy, or can find the last one published, do keep it/update it. The POI data will be out of date, but since the planet has not substantially changed shape, it can still be used for plotting points and distances. This is doubly true if you have the version with the GPS transponder (or can find a copy with it). That will enable you to use a Windows computer (or a Mac with Windows installed) and utilize the 'breadcrumb' feature you refer to. It will often work where a phone GPS can't obtain a signal.

Many of the surfaces in the interior of the cars are aluminum, so best to bring duct tape or suction cups for use on the windows.

Back