Washington DC Question...How Do I

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ehbowen

Engineer
I'm planning an AGR trip to Washington DC in May with my two nephews...13 and 17. I'm attending a conference and will be staying at the Grand Hyatt Washington. Are there any restaurants within walking or easy Metro distance where I can feed the kids without breaking the bank? Something in the mold of IHOP, Denny's or Perkins would be perfect. All suggestions welcomed----Eric.

There is a food court in Washington Union Station. Lunch at Legal Seafoods by metrocenter is a treat. Check their menu online to make sure prices are ok. The lunch menu is cheaper, and the selection at lunch is better.

Check on Yelp. Yelp gives restaurant reviews and categorizes them by price.

I'm planning an AGR trip to Washington DC in May with my two nephews...13 and 17. I'm attending a conference and will be staying at the Grand Hyatt Washington. Are there any restaurants within walking or easy Metro distance where I can feed the kids without breaking the bank? Something in the mold of IHOP, Denny's or Perkins would be perfect. All suggestions welcomed----Eric.
The Hyatt is right in the middle of the main downtown shopping district with many affordable food joints and restaurants. Some expensive places, but should be able to find pizza places, chain restaurants of all types. The neighborhood around the Metro Center and Gallery Place DC Metro center has seen a lot of revitalization in the past 10-15 years which really took off after the Verizon Center opened (sports arena for the Capitols and Wizards).

The hotel is in walking distance of the White House to the west and, if you want something a little different for the teenagers, the Internation Spy Museum is only a couple of blocks to the SW.

I found the spy museum to be "meh" and it costs money. I'd much rather visit one of the free museums on the Mall.

Jump on the green line and go up to Ben's Chili Bowl for a lunch.

The last time I was in DC I found the best hot dogs outside the back entrance of the National History Museum. Everyone loves a good hot dog!

Other than that, I asked one of the employees at the Library of Congress where they go for lunch and they directed me to a cafeteria in a nearby building. For me it's always worked to ask a local where to eat.

On the block of 7th St NW between G and H Sts (across the street from the Verizon Center and a couple blocks from the Hyatt) there is Ruby Tuesdays, Fuddruckers, Potbelly Sandwiches, a local burrito chain called California Tortilla and some other eating establishments. There are plenty of options, some pricey, some not. The intersection of 7th and G is in DC's Chinatown, has an entrance to METRO's Gallery Place Station, and 7th St in general draws lots of people - generally a 'younger' (20s & 30s) crowd.

Another 'local' option is Ollie's Trolley: http://www.olliestrolleydc.com/ which is at 12th and E Sts NW, a bit farther from the hotel, but close to The Mall and other attractions. It is greasy, but it is 'rail' oriented. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS. The stop you need is U Street/Cardozo. A Yellow train terminating at Greenbelt (at certain hours it short-turns) will also take you there, from the same platform.

THIS. The stop you need is U Street/Cardozo. A Yellow train terminating at Greenbelt (at certain hours it short-turns) will also take you there, from the same platform.
X3 on Ben's Chili Bowl. Easy to get to, relatively inexpensive and delicious, not to mention the historical significance of the establishment. Good luck on feeding 13 and 17 year old boys without breaking the bank :lol:

Food court in basement of Reagan Building is best kept food secret in DC. Good selection of vendors and great prices (compared to food courts in Mall museums).

there is an all you can eat pizza place, armands, east of the station on mass ave. lunch all you can eat is about 8 bucks, includes salad and desserts. Jim

You also have to feed the boys en route without breaking the bank. In a backpack, pack these items from your local grocery store: fruit.. large bags of chips or pretzels...candy... and a couple of bottled waters.

We will bring along some snacks, but we're in a Bedroom all the way. Amtrak still feeds sleeper passengers generously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back